Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This makes no sense.

Human language is mostly relational. If another man heard me calling my wife honey, that doesn't give that man the right to call her honey and that man would understand that it wouldn't be appropriate for him to call her honey.

We have all heard people use words with friends and family that we knew would be inappropriate for us to say because we don't have the same relationship.

And yet nobody goes around pretending as if not being able to call another man's wife honey is a problem that the husband needs to address by stop calling his wife honey if he doesn't want anyone else to do it.

When the N word comes up people like to pretend that language isn't relational or that they don't get that it is relational.

This isn't to defend anything or explain anything, but this idea that people have the same access to language in the same ways with one another is an absurdity. And we know it is an absurdity.

I wish whenever this topic came up people would stop pretending not to get this.
These people want an excuse to use the word. When it gets them into trouble on the job or in the wrong company they can't handle it.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They did NOT call him a slur. He was overheard using a slur. Big difference, and a very slippery slope. Under this scenario, if I use a racial slur in public, I could be accused of a hate crime.
I'll make sure I never hire you. "I don't know, he called that guy an a*shole but he didn't say it to his face....but he was referring to that customer that just walked out the door". Jesus Christ.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,821 times
oh the horror

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I'll make sure I never hire you. "I don't know, he called that guy an a*shole but he didn't say it to his face....but he was referring to that customer that just walked out the door". Jesus Christ.
There is a difference. Employees will complain about customers from time to time behind the scenes. Using a racial slur while complaining gets you fired. Using the word a**hole while doing it doesn't imo.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
He got fired. Good enough. But many blacks need to stop calling one another the N-word too.
Nonsense. We're free to use that word as much as we want so long as the time and place is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
As long as they call themselves that word, they're fair game.

Cleaning house starts at home.
No, we aren't fair game. Make sure that you don't end up learning that the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He referred to the customer to a 3rd party as the "N" word, mighty different than calling someone the "N" word.

I'm certain that the couples iPods are full of music where the "N" word is used many, many times.

I don't use the word myself, but hey, let's face it, who hasn't seen a black person refer to another as "my N*****"?
My own IPOD has a bunch of it. So what?

Many blacks don't like nor use that word, and they shouldn't be insulted because some of us DO use the word (like me). My usage has nothing to do with the feelings of other black people. We ARE individuals, you know. SMH..
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Dale and this poster have a point. Stop calling each other that word! If it's so degrading and insulting, then stop calling each other the name. I'd never even dream of calling black colleagues, friends, or acquaintances that word!

And no it wasn't smart on the driver's part either. But, I think common sense has gone out the door in this country.
Again, because some blacks like myself use the word among friends doesn't mean that other blacks should be subjected to insults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I read in the Times that the guy who got fired now has a better job delivering for Col. Sanders...
LMAO...that's actually funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh, so it's OK for some people but not for others?
Yep. If you're not black (or Latino depending on origin), its a no-go. Don't say it unless you're obviously talking to a black person that may not disapprove of you using it with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
I've never understood these idiots. If you're going to use the n word use it in privacy like everyone else.
LOL...right. I mean, that's only common sense.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
As long as they call themselves that word, they're fair game.

Cleaning house starts at home.
Does this rule apply to Teabaggers? let me guess, no???

Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Free pizza for life.

Awesome.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM

15,533 posts, read 10,507,413 times
I would have fired him for talking about a customer while he was still on the clock. Unloading on the wife when he gets home is one thing, but when he's working he's representing the company. As far as the N word, I cringe everytime I hear it. But I do hear it, mostly from teenagers to 30 somethings of all different races. I guess they think they are being cool.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Ask yourself, who are the primary consumers of rap music? Here's a hint, it's not black folks.

Rappers didn't use the N word or slurs, prior to the "music" becoming mainstream towards the late 90s. Many underground positive artists complain that the record labels won't sign a rapper to a contract, unless he is willing to regurgitate and/or create gangster music for the masses.

Who does Lil' Wayne, Lil' John, Snoop Dog, 50 Cent and all of the other baffoons have contract deals with? Answer: Viacom, Sony or Columbia Records. This should tell you everything that you need to know about rap and who is really behind it.
So it's someone else's fault?

Got it.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Rappers didn't use the N word or slurs, prior to the "music" becoming mainstream towards the late 90s.
Straight Outta Compton was released in 1988.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies