Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Exactly. Being black doesn't mean we all live inside a rap video. The ignorance of some black people calling each other that word is part of a very particular type of culture. Which, contrary to popular belief, is not how most black people actually live. I don't support black people using the word anymore than I support this idiot pizza delivery guy or Quentin Tarantino using it. So don't try to tell me that just because some people do use it, then no black person has the right to be bothered by someone referring to them as a hateful, racist slur. It never ceases to amazes me the kind of ignorance that is constantly defended here on this forum.
realistically, most of the posters here who say blacks say the word all the time probably know a black or 2 or 5 who don't say it at all. they work with blacks, blacks work in their kids' schools, they live next door to blacks, etc. but in their mind no matter how many descent, non "n word" saying black people they know they will convince themselves that these blacks are the exception and not the rule. in their mind all the black folks they don't know use the n word for nouns, verbs, and adjectives; like smurfs say "smurf" for everything. btw. don't ever use the word smurf in front of a smurf. that's their word.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Papa Johns driver calls customer the N-word

Well, if you've ever observed the owner of Papa John's or read of his beliefs/behaviors ... it's no wonder a driver might have expressed such sentiments.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Free country. You are free to refer to anyone by any name in a free country. If you are offended by that, that too is your freedom.

Were any "acts" committed? No. So once again the liberal thought police are at it.
You obviously don't work in customer service or with customers in general. You find that acceptable, an employee calling a customer that word & the customer heard them do it? Hell yeah he should've been fired. Doesn't matter if he said it to their face or to another employee, the point is that he said it, he was caught, it's unprofessional, rude & he should've been fired. End of story. Has nothing to do with politics so get rid of that thought right now. If you had a business, I suspect you would do the same thing. Christ am I tired of people bitching about PCness.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS0311 View Post
Strange, but maybe not, some people would believe that it's a "liberal" trait that people should address one another in a respectful and dignified manner.

Maybe in conservative land it's the norm to call Black people "ni66ers" after all that's the history Conservatives cling to.
He wasn't disrespectful to the customer. He said nothing TO the customer. There's nothing to suggest that he addressed the customer as anything but respectful and dignified.

Funny, liberals want everyone out of their bedroom, but want to police every other aspect of our lives.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
oy vay another person that doesn't know what the Right to Free Speech means.

The Right to free speech is between the GOVERNMENT and the people. NOT between a private owned business and its employees and a customer.

the driver was on Papa John's time. He is a representative of that company while out on delivery, going to and from the customers home. He inadvertently called the customer while speaking with another employee. That is no longer protected speech. That is speech that reflects the company.

The customer was right to complain and use this as an example to other employees out there that they should be careful of what they say. Just because you don't see customers, they can STILL hear you.

the company was right to fire the driver.
Got it. But an IRS employee that used the power and might of the government to harass and intimidate conservative groups should keep her job.

If the owner wants to fire the employee, it's their right. But to demand it is ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
He wasn't disrespectful to the customer. He said nothing TO the customer. There's nothing to suggest that he addressed the customer as anything but respectful and dignified.

Funny, liberals want everyone out of their bedroom, but want to police every other aspect of our lives.
And again, you obviously have NO IDEA what customer service & running a business is all about.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Yes.

Please explain why?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Wow. Some of you who are complaining about black people calling each other the n-word need to get a clue about context. Someone endearingly calling a friend, "their *****h," is far different than a racist white person using the term to degrade a black person!! It's all about the context and intention behind the word.

Discriminated groups often take the degrading terms for their people and try to change the context to take the sting out of the word. Asshats are going to continue to call them those names, so why not try to make it hurt less? This is a reason many feminists try to turn the b-word into a positive term. It's a way to empower themselves after after having that term hatefully spewed at them all their lives. If you can't understand that, consider yourself privileged and move on!

I know plenty of blacks. You know where I've heard the n-word most often in recent months? From white customers at the place I work. Just yesterday, one had the audacity to keep calling a non-black employee's car a "****** car" because it had nice rims. In a restaurant with other customers. I had to keep trying to diffuse the situation. And that dude sure as hell did not tip 20% either!

And seriously, if you think it is okay to call a customer a degrading word after that customer has just tipped you 33%, you have no clue about how to run a business!

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-29-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
He wasn't disrespectful to the customer.
Yes he was. He called the customer a NI66er because he got a $5 tip. A 33% tip.

Quote:
He said nothing TO the customer. There's nothing to suggest that he addressed the customer as anything but respectful and dignified.
Doesn't matter if it was said to a customer or not. The customer HEARD it. That's all that matters.

Quote:
funny how you misunderstand everything.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
And again, you obviously have NO IDEA what customer service & running a business is all about.
Actually I do. I also know what racism is. The ONLY reason folks are calling for the firing of this guy is because he used the N-word.

Funny, I remember lefties coming out in droves to defend a woman who flipped off the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, calling it Free Speech. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's different?

Personally, I would have fired the employees in both of these situations. But I also think it's ridiculous that the public should even weigh in on whether that should happen or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies