Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Isn't it up to the almighty job creator if he wishes to hire or fire an employee? Free enterprise, right to work and all that.

That said, of course the driver should be fired purely from a business standpoint. It is unacceptable to refer to your customer (ESPECIALLY IF THEY CAN HEAR YOU) any derogatory comment. Certainly, they would not last in my corporation.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Nowhere near a generalization.
Yes it is a generalization.

I worked where I have tipped. I tip everytime I go out to a restaurant that allows it. Whether its 10% or 25% (and sometimes I'll tip more if the server went beyond his/her duty).

Oh and I'm a woman.

Quote:
1. Want to substitute everything
so what? A restaurant wants business. If they are accommodating, they get more business. Don't see how this is a DETRIMENT.

Also, a restaurant I frequent has this message in big letters right on their menu : "NO SUBSTITUTIONS or MODIFICATIONS allowed". Its also on their website, and throughout their yelp reviews and the waiters/waitresses remind you as they take your order for drinks.

so a restaurant can easily set the rules prior ot a customer eating. If you don't want people modifying your food, then make sure the customer knows this. And as a customer, you should know better.

Quote:
2. Be especially demanding.
Nothing wrong with this. Rich people, no matter the gender, can be especially demanding. So why are you targeting only "blacks" and "women"?

Quote:
3. Want separate checks, regardless of how many of them there are. Men can do the math in their heads, obviously women can't.
Oy vay, when asking for separate checks it ISN'T always about checking the amounts or "doing math" . Some need the separate checks because they are on business trips and need to claim their food money when returning to work.

Also, in some restaurants, some items may not be taxed equally. so the separate checks are to be sure that each person is paying for what they ordered.

Also, separate checks actually means MORE money of the restaurant. They earn more in TAX and tips since the "whole" amount isn't being taking into consideration. I don't know any business that doesn't want more money.

Quote:
Ask anyone who has spent more than a year or two in the industry, they will verify.
I spent 8 years in the industry, and through my experience, the ones who didn't tip were often the homeless (which I didn't mind getting no getting tipped), pre-teens to teenagers, and people who can afford that brand new mercedes in the parking lot, but quibble over minor details like there too much onions in their French Onion soup. the average person, tips normally between 10% to 15% . Big groups, we often assessed a manual gratuity of 18% . Its up to group to tip more.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,492 times
I read in the Times that the guy who got fired now has a better job delivering for Col. Sanders...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Free country. You are free to refer to anyone by any name in a free country. If you are offended by that, that too is your freedom.

Were any "acts" committed? No. So once again the liberal thought police are at it.
Got it, calling someone a racial slur for absolutely no reason is acceptable, because of our 1st Amendment right.

Try that out at your place of employment, or if you are pulled over by a police officer of a different race and see how that goes for you.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
You should never put your cell phone in your rear pants pocket while driving. What a dummy.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS0311 View Post
Strange, but maybe not, some people would believe that it's a "liberal" trait that people should address one another in a respectful and dignified manner.

Maybe in conservative land it's the norm to call Black people "ni66ers" after all that's the history Conservatives cling to.

Exactly right. I guess some people are not aware of the concept of "politeness" and "good manners."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
oy vay another person that doesn't know what the Right to Free Speech means.

The Right to free speech is between the GOVERNMENT and the people. NOT between a private owned business and its employees and a customer.

the driver was on Papa John's time. He is a representative of that company while out on delivery, going to and from the customers home. He inadvertently called the customer while speaking with another employee. That is no longer protected speech. That is speech that reflects the company.

The customer was right to complain and use this as an example to other employees out there that they should be careful of what they say. Just because you don't see customers, they can STILL hear you.

the company was right to fire the driver.
Certainly if my employees ever insulted a paying customer like that they would be fired immediately, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Fired!!

I want some MOFOin reparations homey. Im a MOFOin victim here an I got s to have me reps or we gonna march up in this MOFO and burn it to the ground.

Get over it and enjoy your pizza

Sir
I'm pretty sure he's over it now. The new right-wing hero, this ex-delivery boy, probably isn't.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It would appear the customer couldn't move on without going public first. Not every personal affront needs to be a public spectacle.

Rubbish. Imbeciles like this would be saying what they said regardless of whether AA's use the word among themselves. And context matters.

Oh, so it's OK for some people but not for others?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
He got fired. Good enough. But many blacks need to stop calling one another the N-word too.
and women need to stop calling each other b**ches, so men don't think it's okay for them to call us that. and gay men need to quit calling each other f**s and ***** if they don't want us to call them those names. I know Mexican Americas who call each other b*****s, but I don't think they want any of us saying that to them. when did everything become so black and white with no grey areas. or does the they do it, so we can do it rule just apply to black people?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh, so it's OK for some people but not for others?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies