Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And for those that don't believe in God, you really don't have any immediate problem. And, for those who want to try to infringe on one's freedom of speech by calling someone a closeted homosexuality, how immature are you like 8 years old? Maybe the Bishop has one foot in the closet.
No, the Bishop is simply pointing out that the same mindset that was pro-apartheid and defended slavery, is showing up against gay marriage issue. It has nothing to do with believing or disbelieving in God, or having a foot in the closet...

Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
When did you make a conscious choice to be heterosexual?

Did you find both men and women equally sexually attractive?

What went into the decision process?
You know, that might not be such a crazy question for him. I've often wondered if a big chunk of the people who are ADAMANT that sexual preference is a choice aren't actually bisexuals themselves where they really do have the option of choosing. For the rest of us--straight or gay--it seems like a ridiculous statement because we didn't have a choice, but someone who is bisexual does. When you combine bisexuality with people who've been brought up in a very conservative evangelical culture where same sex attraction inspires shame and guilt, some of the responses on this board make a lot more sense to me. I don't think the homophobes are necessarily gay themselves, but they may well be very confused bisexuals. Gay and straight people know that they never, ever had a choice in terms of sexual orientation.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
He's spot on. Throughout history people have been using the bible to justify their personal bigotry from civil rights to genocide, to public murder.

If you are so devoted to the "inerrant word of God" and not just cherry picking your way though Leviticus based on your own prejudice, prove it by slaughtering your neighbor the next time you see them eating a ham and cheese sandwich, or slay them for not burning a goat on Saturdays.

Lets see how that works out for you.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you choose to be straight? Interesting. I don't see anything wrong with his comment, and I will even add, food for him for opening up religion to gays. In the eye of the Lord, if you believe in any of that crap, they too are God's children.

Religion is and has always been open to gay people. Just because you have an attraction to the same sex does not mean you have to act on it. I may have an attraction to your spouse but I don't have to act on it.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
He's spot on. Throughout history people have been using the bible to justify their personal bigotry from civil rights to genocide, to public murder.

If you are so devoted to the "inerrant word of God" and not just cherry picking your way though Leviticus based on your own prejudice, prove it by slaughtering your neighbor the next time you see them eating a ham and cheese sandwich, or slay them for not burning a goat on Saturdays.

Lets see how that works out for you.

Those old laws were dropped in the New Testament.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Those old laws were dropped in the New Testament.
Then why do christians constantly quote Leviticus as a reference?
It's either all or nothing, and if homosexuality was such a huge deal, why didn't it even make it into the top 10?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No one chooses their sexuality. I didn't choose to be straight. I was attracted to the opposite sex before I knew the difference between heterosexuality and homosexuality.

Even if it's true that we don't have a choice with respect to our sexual preferences, I believe we do have a choice in how we act out our sexuality and what type of sexual lifestyle we decide to lead. For example, heterosexuals make choices each and every day regarding whether to have sex outside of marriage, and whether to have children out of wedlock. It's not really a matter of your sexual preferences, it's about the actions that you decide to engage in.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then why do christians constantly quote Leviticus as a reference?
It's either all or nothing, and if homosexuality was such a huge deal, why didn't it even make it into the top 10?

It did. That is one that was kept. No same sex. God made people to procreate, not die out.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM

313 posts, read 329,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No one chooses their sexuality. I didn't choose to be straight. I was attracted to the opposite sex before I knew the difference between heterosexuality and homosexuality.
A person born handicapped didn't choose to live that way, they were born with an abnormality and they need help because of it.

That's why we have programs and goverment funds to help those boren with abnormalities.

If one is to think homosexuals are born homosexual, then the homosexuals should go seek proffesional help.

The problem is with all that is it's not PC to figure homosexuals out and research a 'cure' for their ailment.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It did. That is one that was kept. No same sex. God made people to procreate, not die out.
Can you show me the verse that says all of the OT laws were made null and void EXCEPT the "gay verse"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies