Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Religion is and has always been open to gay people. Just because you have an attraction to the same sex does not mean you have to act on it. I may have an attraction to your spouse but I don't have to act on it.
My spouse is a woman, would that make you gay and denying yourself of happiness?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The archaeological dating of the destruction of Bab edh-Dhra and Numeira is about 2300 B.C.E

Obviously they've been happily misinterpretting (same as editing) for nearly 4500 years.

Just to be clear, I'm not piling on. I'm just pointing out a few facts and verses that are nearly always ignored. You can continue blindly on your merry way, or concede there is some merit to the argument.
Did the archaeological records also determine the reason that a town was destroyed?
You can't use the bible to prove the bible is true, so was there a big sign with the reason written?
Many towns have been destroyed by volcanoes, or floods, or earthquakes, but not one has has a definitive "sin" linked as the cause of the natural disaster, or war that destroyed it.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Homosexuality -4

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm

Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM

[SIZE=3]The writings of the New Testament do not deal explicitly with the subject of homosexuality. There are references to it, but these are quite rare, all being limited to the Pauline Epistles. The most logical explanation for this fact lies not in a permissive attitude towards the matter, but in the fact that homosexuality had already been condemned by Jewish tradition, to which all the early Christian writers are basically indebted, and that similarly in the Greek world it was censured by the predominant Stoic philosophy as contrary to nature.

Thus, in the context of the first century, Philo of Alexandria, who is the leading exponent of Hellenistic Judaism, in his treatises repeatedly criticizes sodomy and pederasty as "illicit relations" (On Abraham 135) and those that practice them as "enemies of nature" (Special Laws 3:36); in the same way the Stoic philosopher Musonius Rufus defines homosexuality as "against nature" (Diatribe 12), while the Roman historian Tacitus speaks openly of the "degeneration of youth" with reference to its practice during the time of Nero (Annals 14, 20, 4). The New Testament therefore did not have any particular battle to fight on this front, needing only to align itself with the positions current in the cultural world of the first century. What was new, if anything, as invariably happens in an ethical discussion, were the reasons given for urging its avoidance.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

This is true. "Hate the sin but love the sinner."

Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
This is true. "Hate the sin but love the sinner."
Speed reader? You read that whole multi page article in 2 minutes? WOW.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
The archaeological dating of the destruction of Bab edh-Dhra and Numeira is about 2300 B.C.E

Obviously they've been happily misinterpretting (same as editing) for nearly 4500 years.

Just to be clear, I'm not piling on. I'm just pointing out a few facts and verses that are nearly always ignored. You can continue blindly on your merry way, or concede there is some merit to the argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did the archaeological records also determine the reason that a town was destroyed?
You can't use the bible to prove the bible is true, so was there a big sign with the reason written?
Many towns have been destroyed by volcanoes, or floods, or earthquakes, but not one has has a definitive "sin" linked as the cause of the natural disaster, or war that destroyed it.
I used archeology to prove the cities existed.

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48931527.html

They did exist, and have been discovered.

If the cities existed, then the Torah and OT are given credibility. If it's credible, it could be true. Can you prove it isn't? The burden rests on you to prove it's false, not me to prove it's true.

As I said, you're free to stroll down the merry path, it is of no consequence to me.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h

I used archeology to prove the cities existed. If the cities existed, then the Torah and OT are given credibility. If it's credible, it could be true. Can you prove it isn't? The burden rests on you to prove it's false, not me to prove it's true.

As I said, you're free to stroll down the merry path, it is of no consequence to me.
And 221 Baker st actually exists. Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is true?
New Orleans exists too. Does that mean that there really are vampires?
Mt Olympus is real too, that proves the existence of Zeus. Right?

All good fiction has a little truth to it.

Also, I'm not the one saying it is true, you can't prove a negative. But I guess you believe in unicorns since there is no proof that they don't exist.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He didn't create Gay. The people made a choice. Just like everyone makes a lifestyle choice.
So why the hell do people choose to be gay? Before reaching that decision did they try out straight sex and decided it stunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies