Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I dont think body parts have much to do with the choice people make, or their right to do so...but you're absolutely right that sexuality is a choice. And I also think it specious and deliberately obtuse to ask someone who believes that sexuality is a choice, when they chose to "be" a label; a label that by its very context within the question implies they are innately one thing or another whether they believe so or not.

If a person never believed sexuality to be innate, that means they dont believe anyone can organically BE anything sexually...including themselves. So that makes it a matter of tasking them to explain why they've made a choice to "be" a version (presumably a straight version) of something they they dont believe even exists in the first place: that being a creature with innate sexuality. Its a false dichotomy in its purest form masked as two separate options: Do you believe sexuality is innate? No, it is a choice...Since you dont believe its innate then when did you choose to to "be" <innately> straight? ---

If the question were framed with sincere intent, it would be phrased "Since you dont believe people can "be" anything sexually, then when did you choose a LABEL?"

If a person doesnt believe sexuality is innate, then they believe they cant BE anything sexually, chosen or otherwise...If one truly believes this, then one also believes that people can only BEhave in whichever manner they choose and BEcome or assume the form of whichever label they've chosen to adopt according to the idea that society has associated with that label/word.

The words straight, gay and homosexual etc. in one society dont and have not always meant the same things in other societies. People have to give meaning to these labels by conforming to them through actions.
Do you remember when you chose to be straight? Did you have a desire for both gay and straight sex? If you answered no to both of those, then how can you say gays choose their sexual orientation. Why do straight people think they know that we made a choice, yet most of them say they did not make a choice? I know I did not choose to be attracted to men, it just is and always has been. To all the straight people who think we chose to be gay, well go out and try gay sex, actually make the choice to partake of sex with the same sex, then come back here and say you did. Until you actually choose your sexual orientation, you have no opinion on wether we chose to be gay or not. How can you?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
It's hate filled threads like these that make me very very glad I was not raised christian nor am I one today. The lack of tolerance for others is disgusting considering what the bible sez.
The Ten Commandants are not disgusting or bullying although some think so. Anything that says---"Thou shalt not", seems to be bullying to them but it is God saying it so it is only for our own good. Our parents said the same things to us and we came to learn it was for our own good.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
You don't see that you have a problem because you *LIKE* your problem.

It pleasures you...it doesn't burn...

But it's wrong, if you think differently then fine. I can't force you to see the other way.
You are entitled to your mind and it's contents as am I and others.

If you are not a christian then move on as this topic doesn't concern you, because when you speak up you are being rude towards the beliefs of others.

I don't go down to the gay bar and start conversations with them on their lifestyle.
This is not in the religion forum section, so anyone can respond to this thread. Christians are forcing their beliefs and bible down everyones throats and seem to not understand why so many tell you all to keep it to yourselves or shut up. Why are so many of you spreading the message of hate hate hate. I think you all need help. As long as you christians keep spreading your hate around, then people are going to respond in anger, do not like that response, then stop judging others with "your" bible or have it thrown in your face every time.

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i think u may be being a bit hard on christians. there is clear evidence that neither the bible the torah nor the quran support homosexuality. they are only trying to follow their own teachings. having said that i dont think they have the right to dictate to you what u do with your life. i support gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You are never going to win a word war with bigots here. As a Christian, the bible has formed a framework for my beliefs, not a list of which to judge others against. I admit, as a kid and a younger man I thought homosexuality was wrong, deviant even. But I have had the good fortune to work with and befriend many LGBT people in my career and have realized they are very little different from me, and their desire to live with those of the same sex and be recognized as a loving respectable couple, doesn't impact or detract from my life one iota.

I think the two things that cemented it for me was I) I married a woman of a different race and religion against the impassioned wishes of members of my immediate family which has caused me some family problems to this day; and 2) I had to work with a man transitioning to a female and one time had to go to her home to give her some guidance on a program she was working on that had a very tight deadline. She had more Star Wars memorabilia than I did. And I had a lot at that time. Kind of stupid to many I'm sure, but it had an impact on me.

I just realized that everyone has a right to their own happiness as long as it doesn't infringe or hurt anybody else. And the government should not have the right to regulate that. If the Catholic Church or the Southern Baptist church refuses to allow same sex marriage, that is their right and I will not argue against that choice. But if your are not looking to get married in those organizations that do not allow it, and instead looking to get a marriage in a religion that does allow it, or to simply get married at a Justice of the Peace, the government and certain people's religious belief should not be able to stop you.

And if you are infringe on a LGBT couple's happiness because it is against your religion, then you are doing harm to them using government policy while They are doing no harm to you. I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't like bullies.

I guess you haven't seen the militant gays who try to shut down businesses, etc if they are against gay marriage, etc.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think u may be being a bit hard on christians. there is clear evidence that neither the bible the tora nor the quran support homosexuality. they are only trying to follow their own teachings. having said that i dont think they have the right to dictate to you what u do with your life. i support gay marriage.

Gays are trying to change the very meaning of marriage. The tradition goes back centuries but oh well, they want it to change and become something it is not and parents to become parent 1 and parent 2. How is that for dictating?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This is not in the religion forum section, so anyone can respond to this thread. Christians are forcing their beliefs and bible down everyones throats and seem to not understand why so many tell you all to keep it to yourselves or shut up. Why are so many of you spreading the message of hate hate hate. I think you all need help. As long as you christians keep spreading your hate around, then people are going to respond in anger, do not like that response, then stop judging others with "your" bible or have it thrown in your face every time.
Christians live by the bible just like Americans live by the Constitution. We will talk about it along with the Constitution. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Those old laws were dropped in the New Testament.
Which means that the bible was rewritten by man and it was originally written by man.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Which means that the bible was rewritten by man and it was originally written by man.
Of course it was written by man with God's inspiration.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
A person born handicapped didn't choose to live that way, they were born with an abnormality and they need help because of it.

That's why we have programs and goverment funds to help those boren with abnormalities.

If one is to think homosexuals are born homosexual, then the homosexuals should go seek proffesional help.

The problem is with all that is it's not PC to figure homosexuals out and research a 'cure' for their ailment.
I think people who hear voices in their heads and have invisible friends need professional help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies