Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why not? The church has edited it repeatedly to suit their needs.
That's true throughout most of European history, but what fascinates me is that modern Biblical translations are based on the discovery of many new portions of ancient texts and other contemporary writings. I was shocked to learn that all modern English biblical Translations are still based on the original King James Version, but have been modified through new Scholarship and new discoveries. Just like scietific theory, there needed to be a baseline which new evidence would support or refute.

Religious fundamentalist have trouble understanding this.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:23 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. 8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities

Sounds quite similar to what's happening to our society.

You're spinning your wheels. To progressives EVERYTHING (Bible, Constitution, History) is up for interpretation and revisioning; even the obvious.

Can't rep you more so here is 3 thumbs up.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Wanting sex with the men angels is homosexual sex. I think you would agree. I am sure the other was also true. They had many sins, to numerous to count.
Where in that verse did it mention sex at all? It stated the sins of Sodom, and sex wasn't mentioned.

Is it just another contradiction in the bible, Or are you calling your gods word a lie?
Maybe your god has schizophrenia?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No, it doesn't. If the gays are married, it's no longer adultery.
God does not recognize gay marriage if He says gay sex is wrong. Now YOU have God contradicting Himself.

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Who knew that gays have been editing the bible since the beginning?
The archaeological dating of the destruction of Bab edh-Dhra and Numeira is about 2300 B.C.E

Obviously they've been happily misinterpretting (same as editing) for nearly 4500 years.

Just to be clear, I'm not piling on. I'm just pointing out a few facts and verses that are nearly always ignored. You can continue blindly on your merry way, or concede there is some merit to the argument.

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
God word is clear in the bible.
I'm confused. Are you advocating slavery, which is also in the Bible? How about death for working on the sabbath? I'm not sure I approve of either, especially the second one, since I mowed the lawn on Sunday. And 1 Timothy 2:12 says; do not permit a woman to teach or assume authority over a man; she must remain silent.

Okay, I kind of go along with that last one, to a certain extent, keeping in mind that I would not want my wife killed for violating it.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Where in that verse did it mention sex at all? It stated the sins of Sodom, and sex wasn't mentioned.

Is it just another contradiction in the bible, Or are you calling your gods word a lie?
Maybe your god has schizophrenia?
Read the part about Lot.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
God does not recognize gay marriage if He says gay sex is wrong. Now YOU have God contradicting Himself.
Where does god say same sex marriage is WRONG?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Read the part about Lot.
Lot wasn't mentioned in the verse I posted. Or are you just picking and choosing what verses you want to look at?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It is a choice. We are born with certain body parts.

Are you telling me God made a mental mistake?
I dont think body parts have much to do with the choice people make, or their right to do so...but you're absolutely right that sexuality is a choice. And I also think it specious and deliberately obtuse to ask someone who believes that sexuality is a choice, when they chose to "be" a label; a label that by its very context within the question implies they are innately one thing or another whether they believe so or not.

If a person never believed sexuality to be innate, that means they dont believe anyone can organically BE anything sexually...including themselves. So that makes it a matter of tasking them to explain why they've made a choice to "be" a version (presumably a straight version) of something they they dont believe even exists in the first place: that being a creature with innate sexuality. Its a false dichotomy in its purest form masked as two separate options: Do you believe sexuality is innate? No, it is a choice...Since you dont believe its innate then when did you choose to to "be" <innately> straight? ---

If the question were framed with sincere intent, it would be phrased "Since you dont believe people can "be" anything sexually, then when did you choose a LABEL?"

If a person doesnt believe sexuality is innate, then they believe they cant BE anything sexually, chosen or otherwise...If one truly believes this, then one also believes that people can only BEhave in whichever manner they choose and BEcome or assume the form of whichever label they've chosen to adopt according to the idea that society has associated with that label/word.

The words straight, gay and homosexual etc. in one society dont and have not always meant the same things in other societies. People have to give meaning to these labels by conforming to them through actions.

Last edited by soletaire; 05-30-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies