Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:11 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Someone driving in public also has no expectation of privacy against a camera taking a picture of them, so it's a moot point.

A picture cannot be used to implicate you in a crime you did not commit - DNA Can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course you agree lol
Maybe an anal probe would change your mind on having a swab forced into your body?
Why do you constantly have the anus on your mind?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
A picture cannot be used to implicate you in a crime you did not commit
Yes. It can.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I am shocked at people supporting this ruling. Taking your DNA is not like taking your finger prints this is a horrible comparison.

So if the police stop you for jay walking can they demand a swab of your DNA?

If the police stop you for disorderly conduct can they demand a swab of your DNA?

It could solve crimes that are currently unsolved because the criminals DNA isn't in the system, but as a young man I had too much contact with the police harassing me for no reason, to give them more power to be more invasive.

We are giving the police too much power in this nation.

Think about the groups of Americans that are targeted regularly by the police.

There are certain groups of people who have regular contact with the police based on where they live, their age, race, and aggressive police tactics.

Soon their DNA will be on file somewhere even if they have not broken the law, while wealthier, whiter, and older people's DNA will not.

It is easy to see the logic in this decision if you know its not your DNA that the police will be taking. If you happen to be in one of the groups who are regularly targeted for increased police scrutiny this is just another thing the police are allowed to do to you.
If you are stopped for jaywalking are you required to give fingerprints? Stop scaring yourself.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Personally, I'm all for it. I don't see what any innocent person has to fear from this.
I can see this being an incentive to law enforcement to arrest more people. The broader and more comprehensive the DNA database is, the better it is for law enforcement, because for every DNA sample they submit, they have a better chance of matching that DNA sample. So that is a concern.

More than that, there's a problem with the DNA database itself. The DNA is streamlined, so only a few genetic sequences are entered into the system, rather than an entire genetic sequence. While each person's entire genetic sequence is 100% unique, fragments of DNA are not. So, as the database becomes larger and larger, the possibility of false positives increases as well. And that, of course, comes with its own set of ramifications.

I can see the interest law enforcement has in this case. I'm not sure I agree with the SCOTUS majority that the interests of law enforcement should outweigh the interests of individuals who haven't been convicted of a crime.

Arrestees aren't convicts. They are presumed innocent.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Yes. It can.
all a photo could do is place you in a location...of a crime, but how does a photo incriminate a innocent person?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I see it has just anther identifier like photo and fingerprints after arrested .In time camera videoing people will be able to search database for facial feature developing now to identify suspects and wanted persons. kind of like those license plates scanner that can identify vehicles having no insurance; owner having warrants now instantly as you pass the par troll car .Not unreasonable search :IMO at all.
Sure that is a reasonable comparison, but one major difference is that the camera thing is going to happen to everyone.

The DNA swabbing thing is not going to happen to everyone. There will millions upon millions of citizens whose DNA will never be tested unless they are actually committing a crime. And there will be millions and millions of other citizens who by virtue of where they live, their age, their gender, and their ethnicity will be tested no matter if they have committed a crime.

Also, most crimes in my thinking don't involve DNA. Most crime are people stealing or drug usage or some domestic dispute where the assailant is known.

What the heck are they taking your DNA for, to test against unsolved rapes, murders, and vicious assaults?So you get pulled over for speeding and the police take your DNA and test it against unsolved violent cases?

Look that is dangerous a hell for that person if a mistake is made in handling your DNA while they are testing against DNA from a violent crime. They should have some kind of reason to take your DNA, not just because.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If you are stopped for jaywalking are you required to give fingerprints? Stop scaring yourself.
Yeah you are if the police take you in, which can happen.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree with scalia.
Absolutely! And there should be no fingerprinting or photographing either. No sir!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Absolutely! And there should be no fingerprinting or photographing either. No sir!
In fact, we shouldn't even use names! Just ask the person to please show up at court if they feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies