Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm going to guess that a) these rants became known to at least some of her co-workers, b) probably many of whom are black. This strikes me as the kind of job where workplace cohesion is particularly important. When the manner in which you conduct your private affairs has the potential to substantially impact the comity of your workplace for the worse... buh-bye.
What if all her co-workers were white and wanted her gone for her posts??? is that more agreeable to you?

I've never worked a job where the "employees" get to make hiring and firing decissions...Have you?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM

4,136 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Odds are she violated a departmental policy, doing that, especially when working for a PD can cost you your job. It is what it is.

ETA: Post #20 beat me to it.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What if all her co-workers were white and wanted her gone for her posts??? is that more agreeable to you?
It's no more or less agreeable than if they were all black, blue, mauve, or taupe. It's not only about their co-workers, but the public at large that they serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I've never worked a job where the "employees" get to make hiring and firing decissions...Have you?
I've never worked a job where your impact on the workplace environment is not a consideration in whether or not to keep you around. Have you?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
I read it the first time. Tell me... Why do YOU have ANY right whatsoever, to dictate what I may or may not say either in a political march, or online etc. if that communication is not a violation of the law i.e. a threat?

By what right do your values, opinions and perception of what one should think or say have more authority that the holder of those words or thoughts? Moreover, if I am on my free time, i.e. not at work, who and what gives you the narcissistic impression that you have a right to dictate my behavior in advance, i.e. having a social media policy? Is this policy not simply a way of preventing someone from having or voicing their opinion that YOU don't agree with just because you are afraid it will hurt someone else's feelings?

By what right are you allowed to force your values and opinions upon another person?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM

500 posts, read 376,077 times
Of course she should be fired. For using Facebook.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Americans are quickly becoming idiots.

Between twitter, Facebook and various blogs our hatred for each other is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Of course she should be fired. For using Facebook.

Well, yea I guess that concept DID slip by me. < That was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Between twitter, Facebook and various blogs our hatred for each other is growing by leaps and bounds.
I hate you.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I read it the first time. Tell me... Why do YOU have ANY right whatsoever, to dictate what I may or may not say either in a political march, or online etc. if that communication is not a violation of the law i.e. a threat?

By what right do your values, opinions and perception of what one should think or say have more authority that the holder of those words or thoughts? Moreover, if I am on my free time, i.e. not at work, who and what gives you the narcissistic impression that you have a right to dictate my behavior in advance, i.e. having a social media policy? Is this policy not simply a way of preventing someone from having or voicing their opinion that YOU don't agree with just because you are afraid it will hurt someone else's feelings?

By what right are you allowed to force your values and opinions upon another person?
I never said I did. I also do not know the details of the DPD's social media policy, so I can't say whether I agree with it or not.

I'm simply pointing out that she was fired for violating that policy. She knew what the rules were when she took the job, and she broke them. Simple as. I'm not defending the policy; how can I? I don't know what's in it.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And what is wrong with having hatred for another person if you aren't HARMING them? Hateful opinions expressed do not cause anyone HARM. But this is all about protecting the "feelings" of another from being hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.