Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times

Advertisements

How different a few years makes. In 2003, anyone suggesting that any curbs on intelligence gathering was called unpatriotic, when they said the Patriot Act goes too far. Now, the same people criticize President Obama for using those same powers granted n the Patriot Act.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Then for the love of all that is good, if you want anything to improve, stop voting for Democrats and Republicans!
It's not about not voting for, it holing them accountable and forcing them to change[parties]. There are to many phonies on both sides that will just follow that pack and open up shop under a different name.

I see it here on C-D...there are folk that constantly clog the dissusions with tripe. I find myself arguing a point just to shout-down an opponets ridiculous contention, but that is the nature of our political discussions today.

I am willing to rip Obama a new one...but for a real reason, not phony contempt on a racial bias. Im not playing that game.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Well I also didn't put Medical history in there, another known.
I see that pretty much includes everything about you including the colonoscopy.
Well actually you could elaborate on any of those mentioned and not much is left out. One has only to look at an Android phone/tablet or Smart phone to see how many ways you can be observed.

Sensors Overview | Android Developers
The Seven Deadly Android Permissions: How To Avoid The Sin Of Slothful Preparedness

Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
They're not doing it to protect you or the country or to root out terrorists, they're doing it to protect themselves and to gain power. The Government is separate from the country and has different interests.
Start to wonder how many influential politicians have been forced out of office or have had to adopt different agendas when its revealed they've had information recorded that they may not otherwise want revealed. Or how many business leaders have been forced to make contributions to "charities" or political parties.
Obama may well be a victim of this since I highly doubt he's capable of masterminding anything more complex than ordering off a drive thru menu.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was no probably cause listed in that court order for all of Verizon domestic subscribers.
What type of probably cause could one list for requesting 121,000,000 phone records be collected every day ?
The PAtriot Act doesn't require court orders to request to and from in a phone call, just to listen in on the conversation, which wasnt done.

Whokuddathunk that the government would do things that the law Passed by a Republican House and Democratic Senate, which empowered the government would actually be used? If you were worried about potential abuses, that was the time not to enable them.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How different a few years makes. In 2003, anyone suggesting that any curbs on intelligence gathering was called unpatriotic, when they said the Patriot Act goes too far. Now, the same people criticize President Obama for using those same powers granted n the Patriot Act.
The bigger criticism is directed at Obama's statements that he wouldn't. It's pretty obvious by now that when he says something expect the opposite.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They're not doing it to protect you or the country or to root out terrorists, they're doing it to protect themselves and to gain power.
You know this how, exactly?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It's not about not voting for, it holing them accountable and forcing them to change[parties]. There are to many phonies on both sides that will just follow that pack and open up shop under a different name.

I see it here on C-D...there are folk that constantly clog the dissusions with tripe. I find myself arguing a point just to shout-down an opponets ridiculous contention, but that is the nature of our political discussions today.

I am willing to rip Obama a new one...but for a real reason, not phony contempt on a racial bias. Im not playing that game.
This is a real reason so there is no need to mention race.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bigger criticism is directed at Obama's statements that he wouldn't. It's pretty obvious by now that when he says something expect the opposite.
Where were you when Bush said that court orders were needed to tap phones? At that time Bush officials ordered wiretaps without court orders. Then, when found out, they declared their acts legal but courts disagreed: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/us/01nsa.html?_r=0

What Obama said is that he would tap phones without court order, which is a true statement.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Holy crap!!!!! Bush is not in charge anymore!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies