Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe
I agree with what your saying.

But poor kids parents aren't giving them cars. Or houses. Or businesses.

Who's getting handouts? Wealthy kids get the best education, the best loans, houses, cars, and businesses.
Class envy without even trying to change their circumstances. You can't help those who don't want help. If you give them everything there is no reason to want help to get out, it's easier to just keep taking.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Occupy is needed

Of course.

As various commentators have said, even after the scourge of liberalism is wiped from the earth (probably never completely happen), we need to keep a few of them around to remind us of just how silly their views were.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Too many people giving excuses. They won't even try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Class envy without even trying to change their circumstances. You can't help those who don't want help. If you give them everything there is no reason to want help to get out, it's easier to just keep taking.
You must be talking about NON working people.

As far as I can understand, nobody is talking about NON working people.

From a macro economic standpoint. Do you understand why our current Economy is bad for business?? Do you understand why its bad for our country?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You must be talking about NON working people.

As far as I can understand, nobody is talking about NON working people.

From a macro economic standpoint. Do you understand why our current Economy is bad for business?? Do you understand why its bad for our country?

Yes! and Yes! People should read some of the books by Nobel Prize winning economist Alfred Stiglitz; he outlines very thoroughly how the current wealth inequalities in the U.S. and the speculative high-risk strategies of the finance industry, are bad for the economy and the country, and make America less competitive in the global market.

Occupying a park is a tactic, not a strategy. Nevertheless the Occupy movement did have a big impact, directing people's attentions to the transgressions of Wall St.

The Occupy movement should not take on every single grievance in the world, but should concentrate on economic inequality, or the way the financial industry is operating, and have a clear cut agenda, goals, and strategies. Is there even a website for the Occupy movement?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
No you do not create businesses.

Businesses are more than just start-up capital. So much more than just start-up capital.

Entrepreneurs create businesses. You provide the capital. I'm not saying that to discredit what you do, but there's a difference.
And most businesses wouldn't exist without start up capital. Obviously they are more than that. That also isn't to say that the capital isn't essential.

Quote:
And why would I give somebody a full time job when our hours only require part time work You don't create jobs out of thin air. I'm bringing in more people because we need help. What I'm doing is paying people for their help. They'll make above average pay for the job that's required and be treated like family.
Exactly my point, and the point which OWS completely misses. There is a reason wall street and the corporate world operates the way that it does, most people benefit from it immensely, and the only reason people are unhappy about the system is because they are oblivious to how it actually works. OWS was a bunch of kids whining about how bad things are without any knowledge of how things really work.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Nevertheless the Occupy movement did have a big impact, directing people's attentions to the transgressions of Wall St.

The Occupy movement should not take on every single grievance in the world, but should concentrate on economic inequality, or the way the financial industry is operating, and have a clear cut agenda, goals, and strategies. Is there even a website for the Occupy movement?
Really? I don't think it had any lasting impact at all. Have there been any policy changes as a result?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesiss View Post
My favorite part of the Occupy discrediting via the mainstream media?

Foxnews et al actually convinced poor, aging christian conservatives- ie ignorant people who have children w/ no future, people who would most benefit from an undercutting of corporate fascism- that occupy was some laughable hippie movement. They picked out the craziest folks from the crowds and put a spotlight on them to belittle the cause.

And of course, being dumb and ignorant, it worked.

You see poor/lower middle class folks with no future beyond blue collar work at best mocking the very cause that could change the future of their childrens' lives forever.

It's a sad circle.
those middle class families that have no "future" are the majority of americans. You are saying that blue collar workers are just worthless right? Im sorry not everyone can get their bachelors degree at harvard like you. To be honest you sound kind of dumb

Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And most businesses wouldn't exist without start up capital. Obviously they are more than that. That also isn't to say that the capital isn't essential.

Exactly my point, and the point which OWS completely misses. There is a reason wall street and the corporate world operates the way that it does, most people benefit from it immensely, and the only reason people are unhappy about the system is because they are oblivious to how it actually works. OWS was a bunch of kids whining about how bad things are without any knowledge of how things really work.
Actually most people do not benefit from corporate America immensely, only the people at the top. The middle-class benefits somewhat, and poorer people are usually exploited by the current system and suffer under its unfairness. The American economy is not doing that well for the people in the middle and below.

Economic value is only one value. Our current system does not add value to the environment, it degrades it and may make our planet unliveable ultimately. The current system does not value humanity, family, compassion, fairness, equality, justice, and does not provide anything close to equal opportunity for everyone. In fact, the U.S. is becoming one of the most unequal nations in the world, with the some of the least opportunity among developed nations, for a person to move up in socioeconomic status.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Really? I don't think it had any lasting impact at all. Have there been any policy changes as a result?

No, but I think it helped bring attention to issues.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Really? I don't think it had any lasting impact at all.
If anything, it's had a negative impact on its constituent issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies