Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A bigger company would have been nice for SC but you reduce unemployment in a state, one job at a time... ..
Tru, but SC has over 2,000 2013 job cuts posted via WARN act notices, and that would not include cuts at firms with 50 or fewer employees. That is equal to over 55 PTR's.

SC Works - Bringing Employers and Job Seekers Together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Growing-LOL! Might hire that 38th employee. By 2018, perhaps a 39th.

Sturm Ruger is up 200 employees the last 5 years alone, and employs more at a Ct corp hq than this glorified mom and pop does overall.
Winchester, Colt and Remington didn't start out as major manufacturers....They all started small too.. The potential is there for them to grow considerably. I'm sure SC will be happy to have them...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Winchester, Colt and Remington didn't start out as major manufacturers....They all started small too.. The potential is there for them to grow considerably. I'm sure SC will be happy to have them...

All cited were big time in the pre automation era..when tons of people were needed. I lived near Remington's giant Bridgeport, Ct plant..an uncle worked night shift.. a shift with several times Sturm Ruger's 1,400 2013 headcount, and SR is a $491 million corp.

This industry simply needs very little labor now. 37 is smaller than the steak house headcount I'll be dining at shortly, and their waitstaff would quit at PTR's $17.75 median wage.

I do agree SC needs them.8% state unemployment now..worse than the nation. The same rate as Ct.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
All cited were big time in the pre automation era..when tons of people were needed. I lived near Remington's giant Bridgeport, Ct plant..an uncle worked night shift.. a shift with several times Sturm Ruger's 1,400 2013 headcount, and SR is a $491 million corp.

This industry simply needs very little labor now. 37 is smaller than the steak house headcount I'll be dining at shortly, and their waitstaff would quit at PTR's $17.75 median wage.

I do agree SC needs them.8% state unemployment now..worse than the nation. The same rate as Ct.
I agree that pre automation, growth was more easily obtained. That said, if PTR does take off, they could need that many people in their shipping and recieving department.. Some things you just can't automate.. I doubt they will become the next Remington, but the point is, they could expand to a degree and any jobs a state can get are jobs they didn't have before.. That translates into revenue into the state coffers.. One job at a time.... Any company, large or small should be embraced...

Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:

It's not just about this one company though. There are states, South Carolina included, which are attracting multiple small businesses. South Carolina, like many other Southern states, have relied upon agricultural industries in the past. We have enormous swathes of high unemployment in the rural districts. I think it's great our state has created an environment which is attracting business. We certainly could use it. Some areas of our state are flourishing (extremely so) and others are in severe straits. The long game, so to speak, will see places like our state continue to grow and attract other businesses, small and large, while state like Connecticut will continue to lose business unless they enact some significant changes.

This point has been borne out time and again when you look at the outgoing and ingoing of each state. Connecticut is losing people (and with that businesses) while states like South Carolina are receiving more and more people (and dollars to spend). The last census tells that story. So, basically, it's not about this ONE company. It's about the environment for business, and in this case gun manufacturers, which is the bigger issue.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Here is another tidbit for you.. Rick Perry flew into CT and had meetings with Colt as well as Mossberg... Who knows who else he met with.. I know he has the authorization already to make a pretty sweet deal to these and other companies... What is CT doing to stop the bleeding? Apparently nothing...

Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
LMMFAO

Facts? What facts do you speak of here?
The ones all over this thread. But don't trouble your pretty little head if you don't recognize them. We know it's difficult for you to deal with anything other than data.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I agree that pre automation, growth was more easily obtained. That said, if PTR does take off, they could need that many people in their shipping and recieving department.. Some things you just can't automate.. I doubt they will become the next Remington, but the point is, they could expand to a degree and any jobs a state can get are jobs they didn't have before.. That translates into revenue into the state coffers.. One job at a time.... Any company, large or small should be embraced...
Our subsidiaries shipping is extremely automated. Corporate-wide, at dozens of facilities, handling far more than even Sturm Ruger handles, we ship out far more than we did even 10 years ago, with less than half the manpower of 2003. Far more material-handling at our facilities is handled automatically, not manually.

Now if PTR gets to 39 employees, that is 6% growth. 6% growth at Sturm would mean 84 more employees. At PTR, a jump of 2 is the same percentage increase. Most likely, it would just be 2 more relatives on payroll..at a 37 person firm, I'd bet less than 30 are non-family now. And I wonder what their FTEs are, if 37 people average 30 hours per, that is 27.75 FTEs (37 * 30/40).

Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Our subsidiaries shipping is extremely automated. Corporate-wide, at dozens of facilities, handling far more than even Sturm Ruger handles, we ship out far more than we did even 10 years ago, with less than half the manpower of 2003. Far more material-handling at our facilities is handled automatically, not manually.

Now if PTR gets to 39 employees, that is 6% growth. 6% growth at Sturm would mean 84 more employees. At PTR, a jump of 2 is the same percentage increase. Most likely, it would just be 2 more relatives on payroll..at a 37 person firm, I'd bet less than 30 are non-family now. And I wonder what their FTEs are, if 37 people average 30 hours per, that is 27.75 FTEs (37 * 30/40).
37 or 1500, I am sure SC will take the jobs and be happy to have them....
How many jobs will CT gain from this??

Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Here is another tidbit for you.. Rick Perry flew into CT and had meetings with Colt as well as Mossberg... Who knows who else he met with.. I know he has the authorization already to make a pretty sweet deal to these and other companies... What is CT doing to stop the bleeding? Apparently nothing...
Ct is doing the right thing. This industry needs low cost, as it did pre Newtown, too. Sturm is well managed-the execs and high paid corp hq in Fairfield County where they can meet Wall St analysts to promote their cost cutting moves, the mfg for decades now in low cost Az..near the border.so if they want to get components or extra cheap labor..the threat is imminent and nearby..and that contains labor's zeal to try to get high raises. (Sturm's top 5 execs make in 1 year what 37 PTR employees make in 3.7 years, before counting the execs bonuses and stock options.)

2,200 Ct jobs in gun mfg..of over 1.5 million, and the industry median wage is less than the Ct median.

Now Ct should fight dearly for UTC, the many insurance companies, UBS, etc, keeping jobs there.

But this industry is no longer a job engine. It is best left to the "middle of nowhere" towns where 37 low paying jobs matter.

Last edited by bobtn; 06-22-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies