Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times

Advertisements

This is my third post on here and it happened because I saw the thread title again. If you don't like the lady; just don't have anything to do with her. Why do you want to control everybody in the country. We in the South should have a right to our way of life just as those in the North. You tried to burn us out but we came back. That should be a lesson learned. We will always come back better and stronger than any other place in the country. That is why you all want to take your vacations here. We are a better place and live a better life.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Why do people insist on insisting that others should not be offended by derogatory terms?

Look, Y'ALL - or youse guys, whatever - the N word is offensive, and not just to black people. The usage of that word - by ANYONE - is low class behavior. It shows a lack of common sense and courtesy.

I am fifty one years old. I grew up in the South. I heard my relatives use the N word (it wasn't allowed in our house, because thankfully I was raised by parents who are not racist, and don't tolerate racism in their home). Guess what - it wasn't a harmless term of affection back in the day - it has ALWAYS been a derogatory, dehumanizing term, especially when used by white people (I think it's tacky for black people to use the term as well, but it's meant in a different context apparently, even if it IS tasteless).

I sincerely hope that Paula Deen doesn't still carry such antiquated delusions around, consciously or subconsciously - not that I really care. I don't watch her show because she's a cloying, irritating person in my opinion. But my point is - even if she used the term thirty or forty years ago, it was an ugly term then just as it is now. It's never been a term of affection or one used to show respect or kindness, when used by a white person. Never. Don't, errrrrr, whitewash the situation.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
A celebrity said a bad word???

Oh my Lord, where the hell is my pitchfork?????

We are a thin-skinned society these days. Shame.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why do people insist on insisting that others should not be offended by derogatory terms?

Look, Y'ALL - or youse guys, whatever - the N word is offensive, and not just to black people. The usage of that word - by ANYONE - is low class behavior. It shows a lack of common sense and courtesy.

I am fifty one years old. I grew up in the South. I heard my relatives use the N word (it wasn't allowed in our house, because thankfully I was raised by parents who are not racist, and don't tolerate racism in their home). Guess what - it wasn't a harmless term of affection back in the day - it has ALWAYS been a derogatory, dehumanizing term, especially when used by white people (I think it's tacky for black people to use the term as well, but it's meant in a different context apparently, even if it IS tasteless).

I sincerely hope that Paula Deen doesn't still carry such antiquated delusions around, consciously or subconsciously - not that I really care. I don't watch her show because she's a cloying, irritating person in my opinion. But my point is - even if she used the term thirty or forty years ago, it was an ugly term then just as it is now. It's never been a term of affection or one used to show respect or kindness, when used by a white person. Never. Don't, errrrrr, whitewash the situation.
Freedom of speech. Ignore it, don't let it bother you so much. Don't watch the woman's show or involve yourself with anything she is involved with. It's really pretty simple. You can't control what others say and nor should you try. Just ignore it and don't participate.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
A celebrity said a bad word???

Oh my Lord, where the hell is my pitchfork?????

We are a thin-skinned society these days. Shame.
thirty-some years ago, yeah. some are still reeling from the shock..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Freedom of speech. Ignore it, don't let it bother you so much. Don't watch the woman's show or involve yourself with anything she is involved with. It's really pretty simple. You can't control what others say and nor should you try. Just ignore it and don't participate.
I DO ignore her generally. I don't watch her show. I really couldn't care less about what she does, what she cooks, what she says, or what she thinks.

I'm just responding to this thread as a matter of principle, to debate whether or not "just words" actually mean something. It's not about Paula Deen to me at all.

I am a person who is proud of my southern heritage and who loves the South. That being said, I really REALLY dislike it when people make excuses for racism. Racism doesn't have to be an inherent part of the Southern experience. My southern parents taught me to take a stand against racism, and to be on guard against insidious, casual, "passive" disrespect for others. I'm very glad that they raised me with that attitude.

I am always glad for an opportunity to defend others from disrespect and racism.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Do you remember the old restaurant chain called Sambo's? At least, we had some here in the south. I do not really recall the story of Sambo (who was an young boy of India) and the tiger, save that the tiger chased Sambo around a tree for so long that the tiger melted into butter. I recall (back in the 1960s) that the restaurant had cartoon depictions of Sambo and the tiger all along the walls. Not, of course, PC, but darn good pancakes.
Yes, I remember Sambo's, and I remember the story. It was an absolute favorite of mine when I was a little kid. I came across the book recently in an antique store, and I stood there and read the whole thing. Such an innocuous little book to cause such a furor.

I believe there is still a Sambo's in California. It was named after the founders, but leave it to a bunch of thin-skinned racists to have conniption fits. I miss the days before political correctness ruined everything.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I DO ignore her generally. I don't watch her show. I really couldn't care less about what she does, what she cooks, what she says, or what she thinks.

I'm just responding to this thread as a matter of principle, to debate whether or not "just words" actually mean something. It's not about Paula Deen to me at all.

I am a person who is proud of my southern heritage and who loves the South. That being said, I really REALLY dislike it when people make excuses for racism. Racism doesn't have to be an inherent part of the Southern experience. My southern parents taught me to take a stand against racism, and to be on guard against insidious, casual, "passive" disrespect for others. I'm very glad that they raised me with that attitude.

I am always glad for an opportunity to defend others from disrespect and racism.
All good points, but this was many years ago. If we're supposed to be upset about things in that time frame as if it were current, then I'm very concerned about Mr. Obama's drug use.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
those restaurants were around well into the seventies. most of them were bought out by denny's.
That explains a lot..........

Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Yes, I have.
I'll bite. As much as the mods here can be (but not always are) proactive in scrubbing offensive content, I find it hard to believe you've had worse than "n" word directed at you. I also believe there is nothing worse than that, because the "n" word has centuries of denigration and actual atrocity attached to it. It's the foulest epithet in this society.

So where's your evidence?

Quote:
I'm well aware that I'm not black but that doesn't mean it's impossible for me to be insulted by racist hateful terms used against me.
I hear you. So.....examples?

Quote:
Black people don't have that market cornered like you clearly believe they do.
Here in America, certain circumstances are unique to the black experience.

Quote:

Of course it's 100% faux outrage, you can't tell me that you honestly give a damn what this old woman said a couple decades ago about people you don't know. You only "care" because you want to continue playing a victim card that ran out a long time ago.
What's a victim card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies