Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times

Advertisements

It's downright painful to read the comments from the thin skinned people here who seem to be permanently emotionally damaged because some woman hundreds of miles away said a word 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some one who apparently hates the woman you sure do watch a lot of the woman..
Is changing a channel or even turning the tv off not an option?
LOL ain't it dee troof?

I watched her one time for about 30 seconds. I disliked her accent and her attitude. Her recipes are, for the most part, unnecessarily unhealthy. (I have been born and raised in the American South, and cook "southern style" and I know for a fact that you don't have to add as much fat and sugar as she does to most things in order for the food to taste fresh and terrific.)

So I basically ignore her existence in this world - she's right up there with Honey BooBoo and Kim Kardashian and whoever is the Bachelor or Bachelorette at the moment. Who cares what those fools are up to? Give them an inch of rope and they'll hang themselves in pretty short order.

And good riddance.

By the way, the N word isn't "just a word." All words have meanings and history attached to them.

Try using that logic on your significant other after you tell them that you're no longer attracted to them. Or better yet, just call them a fattie or a whale the next time you see them naked and see where that gets you. Yeah - just tell them "it's only a word - get over it."

Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanarchist View Post
I heard a lot of that in your reply there...Paula Deen is awesome. I love her show and her books.
Even after her "N" word comments?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No it's not - try reading the linked article before you try to insert your uninformed opinion.

Or do you also think it would be fun to have a plantation style reception with "little n------s" dressed in slave garb?

I will never "get over" racism - you clearly are delighted by it. Let's agree to disagree.
It's her opinion. She is racist, or likes to pretend she is. Why do you care so much? Don't you have more important things to worry about?

She's just one woman, and personally I don't care if she hates me because I'm tall, a male, or for my skin color. I consider it HER problem, NOT mine!

Last edited by fordlover; 06-20-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ok; what Paula said was stupid. But IF we're gonna nail her for the "N" word; we NEED to treat the rappers the SAME, even if THEY'RE "Black". Sheesh!
Nail those rappers too. Nail them for calling women the "b" word and the "w" word. Nail them too. I don't listen to most rap music anyway. Alot of it is disturbing.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No it's not - try reading the linked article before you try to insert your uninformed opinion.

Or do you also think it would be fun to have a plantation style reception with "little n------s" dressed in slave garb?

I will never "get over" racism - you clearly are delighted by it. Let's agree to disagree.
I find the "guys" word even more offensive and everybody above the Mason-Dixon Line thinks I should just accept it because it is used so much and doesn't mean a "grotesque murderer" anymore. I don't say the N-word anymore but I get called "guys" about any time I am unlucky enough to have to eat out. I find that disgusting. Now I want to hear everybody tell me how wrong I am to want to be treated with respect. It is disrespectful to call a Southern lady a guy.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's just a word. Get over it.
I love hearing people who are not affected by something telling those who are to "get over it."

Mind your damn business.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to really dislike her, always have, but not for this reason. Realize she was raised in the south and she says, she used the word years ago. If she is still using it, that would be different. People change or at least most of us do. No, I have never used the word, but my parents did...again, it was a word and not meant to be taken in any other way. How do you explain AA using it all the time or can you? Are you going to say you have never used a word that could be taken as showing prejudice against someone or something? Have you ever referred to someone as being a fat slob or dirty pig?
As for her food, yes, it is filled or the old recipes were with sugar, fat, calories, it is southern cooking at it best...and actually even fun to eat once in awhile.

You don't like her, I said, I don't either but not for the same reasons. I just think she is a royal pain and too phony, but if she uses a word or did it isn't the end of the world. You wouldn't last long in the south, that is for sure...
Yeah......and isn't that exactly what the problem is?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
The gal is 66 and grew up in the south.

I'd think most people with that background have said the word at one point or another.

I would have thought from the tone of the thread that this was something recent but it's not.

There has been a lot of education and learning in this country over the last couple decades at what point do you value the person of today over what they might once have been? I mean Malcomn X was a street punk that greatly grew as a person, is it fair to label him over his early life?

So, if we have evidence that she still thinks this way then it's reprehensible, but I'm a big proponent of judging the person by their growth and what they are now more than their past.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I can see why some of you do not like Paula Deen. You cannot take her cheerfulness. I like her and eat only foods I like so what she cooks does not bother me at all. But I much prefer her "Y'all" to "youse guys." Y'all is inclusive and not calling me a bad person. I find that friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies