Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
From what I heard many in the Military recieve food stamps too. So deny food to our active military families as well? I really don't have a problem with the food stamp program because you practically have to jump through hoops to be approved for them.
I also have a problem with many poor children being cut off as well. So much for "Compassionate Conservatism" huh?
$745 billion per year. We have a growing number of poor people don't we ?
And we still hit new records of enrollments.

That recovery ain't so grand is it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This is going to hurt alot of people esp since so many are receiving food stamps. Washington Post
So, let them get a job, Obama is creating a lot of them

Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Drug testing for food stamps? We will never see this happen on a large scale.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Oh dear, oh dear.

Boehner couldn't even get his own party in line, and the bill died in the House. Is it me, or is - well, not that good at his job?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh dear, oh dear.

Boehner couldn't even get his own party in line, and the bill died in the House. Is it me, or is - well, not that good at his job?
Its good that the bill died. It would of affected ALOT of needy people (adults & children). There is this bill from 2010. Im not sure how this worked out.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...cuts-14-a.html

Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
My school system is changing to a "no questions asked" free breakfast program. The way to do this is to use federal funds to give everyone a free breakfast. Partly this is to avoid shaming poor kids that people only know if they are poor because they don't by extra food items with their debit card.

So, in this case we have people willing and able to pay but we're going to use federal funds to pay for rich kid breakfast as well as poor kids who were already getting free breakfast. The overall goal is to help them do better on tests.

My system and others also have a no questions asked meal program during the summer that includes 18 year olds. You don't even have to be enrolled in school at all.

I don't know what rational the House is using but something like the above has got to cost something and why is the federal government buying breakfast for rich kids?

Maybe there's waste that they've identified or maybe they are shifting things around since why give food stamps for breakfast when the feds are buying it already from a different fund?
Trust. It's not only rich kids paying for lunch at school. My parents were considered lower-class, but I was still required to pay full price for lunch and barely receive any type of financial aid from FASFA. I don't know where people get this idea that this country is only split between extremely wealthy and extremely poor. You have many who fall in the "just barely making it" like my family, but still receiving little benefits or assistance from the government.

The biggest issue with these government assistance type programs is it disables one from progressing a life. Very strict restrictions are placed on those who are on it. Any decent job will result in a huge cut from your assistance and more. It enables complacency more than preventing.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM

46,312 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh dear, oh dear.

Compared to obama who got ZERO votes for his budget? I guess that means he is not that good at his job.....BTW that is both REPUBS AND DEMS....LOL....................so sad, oh dear oh dear.....

Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Food stamps subsidize small rural towns. Grocery stores keep a chain of people employed from truck drivers to checkers and people sweeping up a night. That money is pumped into small communities. I don’t think food producers lobby would like to see the 2 Billion taken from their bottom line also.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
More of the same won't work and if you have a job, most jobs people have to take drug test and anyone can be pulled in anytime for the test. Why shouldn't people on welfare have to do drug test the same way?
Let's start by requiring the people who make the laws to take a drug test.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
It was a really bad bill. Maybe they can come up with something resembling some thought was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies