Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Isn't this absurd.

All rules of feminism seem to be out the window when a hot, high status, good looking man is on the scene.

Does this make any sense?
Yes , it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
perhaps I mean the PC rules - ie: guy is a creep UNLESS he is the boss or hot.

that's a double standard surely?
Yes, it's a double standard, but double standards are completely normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think they define a feminist as any woman that is better educated, makes more money than they do and/or won't have sex with them.
Nah. Education, income, and whether or not she'll sleep with me has nothing to do with it. Not to mention your definition assumes all feminists are women, when some of the most aggressive feminists are men.

A feminist is generally someone who thinks women are disadvantaged and/or oppressed. For instance if you think a "patriarchy" exists, then you'd qualify under this definition.

No reasonable man wants to invite these neuroses into his life where he's labeled an oppressor.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
These forums are in serious need of education on what the term "feminism" actually means...

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Keeping in mind that a feminist is simply a person (male or female) who believes both sexes are equal and should treated as such
Yeah, sorry, you lost me here.

Quote:
These forums are in serious need of education on what the term "feminism" actually means...
No, you are in serious need of education on the difference between a technical and a common definition of a word in its modern context.

It's like defending a conservative with the argument that he can't possibly want to outlaw abortion, he's a conservative, which means he wants things to stay the same.

It's ridiculous.

We know what the OP is referring to, you know what the OP is referring to, and you know that as a group, feminism in the modern world is more than this sole belief, which as another poster pointed out, is shared by most including those who do not call themselves feminists.

I've seen this on here before, it's a weak attempt to throw off a discussion.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Yes , I've noticed that feminists would like the privilege to unilaterally define the word "feminism."

I care about what they DO, not what they claim they stand for.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah, sorry, you lost me here.

feminism - definition of feminism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

We've been letting man-hating "feminazis" don the label for too long. It's got everyone believing the lie that they are in fact feminists. Feminism is not a bad word!

Quote:
No, you are in serious need of education on the difference between a technical and a common definition of a word in its modern context.
So you are in favor of giving these rabble-rousers whatever empowering label they want you to use in describing them? Wouldn't that hurt our (the true feminists) cause? "Liar" needs to become the common term for people who claim to be feminists yet attack or are unnecessarily hostile towards men specifically. I will not perpetuate the lie you seem to be fighting for.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:

feminism - definition of feminism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

We've been letting man-hating "feminazis" don the label for too long. It's got everyone believing the lie that they are in fact feminists. Feminism is not a bad word!
Read the rest of my post. Transparent attempt to throw off the discussion.

And yes, feminism is a bad word. Feminism was hijacked a few decades ago, you must have missed the memo.

Feminism in the modern world, by the actions of self identified feminists, no longer corresponds with the technical definition.

Just like the words liberal, conservative, etc.

It's hilarious that some people really think they are slick enough to do one thing, and then insist they are not doing it, because they call themselves something that means something else.

Here's some good "feminist" reading for you - Louise Pennington: Becoming a Radical Feminist: On Male Violence, Cultural Femicide and Sisterhood

Quote:
So you are in favor of giving these rabble-rousers whatever empowering label they want you to use in describing them? Wouldn't that hurt our (the true feminists) cause? "Liar" needs to become the common term for people who claim to be feminists yet attack or are unnecessarily hostile towards men specifically. I will not perpetuate the lie you seem to be fighting for.
The rabble rousers stole your word a couple of decades back. Doesn't matter how we feel about it, they've already got it. Or fight them for it. I don't see much of that going on either.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
More unresolved mommy issues....
I'm still hoping you'll clarify the rationale behind this attempt at discrediting me with an insult (one that has no basis in reality I might add).

Then again, this is most likely feminist tactic #716. Call anyone who disagrees with you a loser who hates all women.

Pretty pathetic, IMHO.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Call anyone who disagrees with you a loser who hates all women.
Feminism in a nutshell

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It's like defending a conservative with the argument that he can't possibly want to outlaw abortion, he's a conservative, which means he wants things to stay the same.

It's ridiculous.

We know what the OP is referring to, you know what the OP is referring to, and you know that as a group, feminism in the modern world is more than this sole belief, which as another poster pointed out, is shared by most including those who do not call themselves feminists.

I've seen this on here before, it's a weak attempt to throw off a discussion.
Nonsense. I'm out to disarm anyone who would call themselves a feminist yet clearly does not match either the original objective of feminism or the current definition of the word. When I hear "feminist", I think of someone who would've agreed with the women's rights movement when it began but not necessarily what it has become. That's because feminism and always was the belief that the two sexes should be equal and treated as such, or the movement based on this belief and nothing more!

It's not my fault if you or others have chosen to give so much power to a group of sexists who prefer the label "feminists" to make their cause look noble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies