Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
If you mean to say "those who are against gay marriage/adoption", I think they are. Or at least those who claim it's because of God/Christianity. They've chosen to oppose gay rights that aren't even explicitly forbidden in the bible (homosexuality is, but not gay marriage or adoption), but have failed to oppose many things that are explicitly forbidden in the bible with the same fervency. Take remarriage, for example. There has been practically no outcry against remarriage involving people who chose to end their first marriage for reasons other than sexual immorality/unfaithfulness. Even though this is explicitly forbidden by the Christian bible (Jesus himself, no less) and gay marriage is not explicitly forbidden in any part of the bible (especially not by Jesus), modern-day Christians have chosen to go after the gays. There can only be one logical explanation for this: prejudice.
Are you serious? Since homosexuality is strictly forbidden in the Bible (and by God), obviously so is homosexual "marriage."

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Anyone on the Internet can claim anything.

But you know best who and what you are. I sincerely hope you are none of the above... I know I am not!
You were the one whining about being called names.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Since homosexuality is strictly forbidden in the Bible (and by God), obviously so is homosexual "marriage."
Shellfish is strictly forbidden in the bible and by god, yet business is booming at Red Lobster every Sunday after church.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You were the one whining about being called names.
Not "whining" about it. Making a point.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Shellfish is strictly forbidden in the bible and by god, yet business is booming at Red Lobster every Sunday after church.
Changing the subject, I see? It doesn't make homosexuality accepted or any less forbidden.

Back to what I posted, I will repeat: homosexuality is forbidden in the Bible, so if anyone thinks that homosexual "marriage" would be okay is wrong.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
If you mean to say "those who are against gay marriage/adoption", I think they are. Or at least those who claim it's because of God/Christianity. They've chosen to oppose gay rights that aren't even explicitly forbidden in the bible (homosexuality is, but not gay marriage or adoption), but have failed to oppose many things that are explicitly forbidden in the bible with the same fervency. Take remarriage, for example. There has been practically no outcry against remarriage involving people who chose to end their first marriage for reasons other than sexual immorality/unfaithfulness. Even though this is explicitly forbidden by the Christian bible (Jesus himself, no less) and gay marriage is not explicitly forbidden in any part of the bible (especially not by Jesus), modern-day Christians have chosen to go after the gays. There can only be one logical explanation for this: prejudice.
Quote:
The bigger point was that Christians pick and choose which "sinners" they want to discriminate against. But no, I don't agree that your God (assuming for a moment he exists) is necessarily against gay marriage. Why would he be? Or at least, why would he be any more against homosexual marriage than all the instances of remarriage (which Jesus himself, you know, the guy who supposedly came to "fulfill" the law, forbade) I haven't heard or seen a single Christian protesting. I do know that there are verses in the bible that instruct homosexuals to be killed, but then the same instructions can be found for many other "sinners", including people who don't listen to priests or judges, psychics, adulterers, prostitutes, promoters of other religions, women who are not virgins on their wedding night, blasphemers, people who work on the Sabbath, and even just plain nonbelievers. Where are the Christian movements against the rights of all these people, hmmmmm?

No, this is a personal prejudice. Own it; don't blame it on "God".

BTW, considering what I just typed about the bible and murder, how can any Christian point the finger at homosexuality and call it immoral?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM

596 posts, read 730,225 times
Quote:
Changing the subject, I see? It doesn't make homosexuality accepted or any less forbidden.

Back to what I posted, I will repeat: homosexuality is forbidden in the Bible, so if anyone thinks that homosexual "marriage" would be okay is wrong.
Everyone is not Christian. Why is it so difficult for some of you to comprehend that there are plenty of people (both straight and gay) who do not base their marriage on the bible? I'm straight, and I could not possibly care less what's in the bible because I am not a Christian. Religion only plays a role in marriage if the couple chooses for that to be the case. Marriage is a legal contract, not a religious institution. A couple who gets married by a judge is no less married than a couple who gets married in a church by a pastor or priest. You folks love to bring religion into it, but that's your personal issue. Stop trying to make it everyone else's issue. It's astounding to me how so many of you claim to be sick of hearing about gay people wanting equal rights, but you have no problem with wanting everyone to share your narrow view of marriage based on your personal religious affiliation. The hypocrisy is actually laughable.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As I have said before in these threads, "this is not the end, only the begining". Now that our supreme court has ruled like this the "pro-homosexual" lobby, or whatever they want to call themselves, will only feel empowered and emboldened. As I have said before "a gay pride parade in every town and a rainbow flag flying from every front porch". They will relentlessly attack anyone who dare speaks out against their views. They will insist our children be indoctrinated that they "gayness" is normal and even preferred. If it were JUST about rights for same-sex couples then civil unions would have sufficed. But we know that isn't the case. As one poster here posted a while back, an article by someone who was inside the same-sex marriage movement, saying that their real goal was to destroy traditional marriage. That seems more plausible. A good reason to oppose homo-marriage, because it makes a mockery of traditional marriage between a man and a woman. Something a lot of us still hold sacred. And you don't define the terms "good reason" or "bigoted" or "hate". You don't define the language so don't think you are so high and mighty with your adolescent name calling tactics. I've been called worse by much better people. And don't think you are a majority. You are only a "mouthy minority".
Yup they have awaken a sleeping giant. Kind of like the Chick Fil A debacle.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Everyone is not Christian. Why is it so difficult for some of you to comprehend that there are plenty of people (both straight and gay) who do not base their marriage on the bible? I'm straight, and I could not possibly care less what's in the bible because I am not a Christian. Religion only plays a role in marriage if the couple chooses for that to be the case. Marriage is a legal contract, not a religious institution. A couple who gets married by a judge is no less married than a couple who gets married in a church. You folks love to bring religion into it, but that's your personal issue. Stop trying to make it everyone else's issue. It's astounding to me how so many of you claim to be sick of hearing about gay people wanting equal rights, but you have no problem with wanting everyone to share your narrow view of marriage based on your personal religious affiliation. The hypocrisy is actually laughable.
That little fact doesn't seem to matter to some. The Bible and religion are the be all, end all to all questions and issues. I've been married for years - and it had absolutely nothing to do with religion. Just imagine...

Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Quote:

Apparently you didn't connect the dots jjrose laid out, so let me help. What is and is not forbidden in the bible is of virtually zero utility in a discussion of morality, since the bible both forbids things that everyone agrees are wrong, AND things that almost no one agrees are wrong. Thus, any argument that is based on what the bible does or does not say is baseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies