Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Teachers and janitors can now conceal-carry guns in Kansas public schools subject to school district approval. If a school district allows it their insurers have refused to renew their insurance as the risk has greatly increased.

"The EMC Insurance Cos. insures 85 percent to 90 percent of all Kansas school districts and has refused to renew coverage for schools that permit teachers and custodians to carry concealed firearms on their campuses under the new law, which took effect July 1. It's not a political decision, but a financial one based on the riskier climate it estimates would be created, the insurer said."

"A smaller Des Moines-area insurer — Continental Western Group, based in Urbandale — has followed EMC's lead with a similar position in response to the new law... so has Wright Specialty Insurance, based in New York."

Kansas law thrusts Iowa insurer into gun debate

So how much did insurers pay out on parents' claims at Newtown and Columbine? Let me guess, I bet those weren't covered by insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
That "someone" would have to be a licensed insurance company in the state of Kansas who will do it without increasing premiums.
You think there's only 1 insurance company in Kansas?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You think there's only 1 insurance company in Kansas?
I think, I know, insurance companies make decisions based on risk not on politics.

Look at the size of this concealed carry class for teachers in Utah. Does this look like adequate training? I hope your kid's teacher isn't sitting at in the back row.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
I've been to LE classes that were larger and had less attentive students... Most of them are cops now....

Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times
In a country as over-litigated as this one, Kansas is simply inviting a barrage of lawsuits with a moronic policy such as this one.

Nobody has deeper pockets than any government entity you can think of; the ambulance chasrers from coast to coast will pack the state's hotels at the first episode.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
I think, I know, insurance companies make decisions based on risk not on politics.

Look at the size of this concealed carry class for teachers in Utah. Does this look like adequate training? I hope your kid's teacher isn't sitting at in the back row.
So do you think another insurance company will step up or not?

How could anyone possibly say that the training class in that photo is adequate or not?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So do you think another insurance company will step up or not?
Yes, if the school districts can make higher premiums. Insurance companies will insure anything if the the price is right.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
I wouldn't either. It's an accident and lawsuit waiting to happen.

IF they find insurance with a private insurer it will cost them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:

Oh sweet Jebus. I'm glad those aren't my kid's teachers.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh sweet Jebus. I'm glad those aren't my kid's teachers.
Gotta love the women in the audience taking notes. I count four of them. I wonder what they're writing? "Get me out here...get me out of here...get me out of here" or maybe, "Do not point barrel at my own head." Just begging for a caption contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies