Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times

Advertisements

In that case, there's no problem whatsoever.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
and when they recipients do get healthy, quality food, like steak and lobster, to cook, people get mad too.
Don't forget that $4 bag of spinach leaves! If you're spending my money I want you to buy the 84 cent iceberg!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speak for yourself... I don't often watch what people are buying or how they're paying, and certainly don't get "mad" if they are buying foods I've deemed junk. As I said above, we have some awfully nosy people in here!

And sadly, the "junk foods" tend to be cheaper than healthier options in this country - just compare the costs at Whole Foods or Sprouts vs Walmart, if you don't believe me. Why do you think we're one of the few countries where our poor tend to be fatter than our wealthy people? So I wouldn't refer to that stuff as luxury items, so much as I'd call them empty calorie or unhealthy items. And since I don't spend my time worrying about the health of strangers, I'm not concerned with their caloric intake. I mean, for all you know, they only allow themselves these items once a month, and buy healthier stuff the rest of the month.

Funny thing is, I've also heard people complain about places like Trader Joe's and farmer's markets accepting food stamps - and some will even complain if they're buying whole chicken breasts or beef, as opposed to some high-fat or frozen alternatives. So I think some folks just hate the program altogether, and will whine no matter how they choose to spend the money.
Of course I watch, hard not to when I have to watch my food and buy cheaply while they buy steaks and junk food I can't afford. They need to buy cheaply too like generics instead of brand names and cheap beef instead of more expensive cuts.

I lived in an area full of people who got welfare because they refused to work. There's no way they should have been eating better than me when I was working at a pizza joint.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
lol. luxury foods? are you still in high school?
It's not healthy food. They shouldn't be buying that food with food stamps instead of things like cereal, bread, milk etc.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Why do people think because someone gets a government check they have to eat 'healthy".

I thought we were free in this Amerika?????
A right is something that the government can't take away from you. The govt can take way a person's EBT card. It's not a right. There's nothing wrong with there being stipulations on what welfare recipients spend other people's money on.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I suppose the rules may have changed, but I was always under the impression that only unprepared food was eligible for food stamps. In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that these fast food restuarnats taking EBT are only accepting the TANF portion.

Yep, looks that way. Fast food isn't eligible for food stamp usage.
Eligible Food Items
Thanks for looking that up. It was my impression as well.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Frankly, i don't care what they eat.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Not too long ago another EBT bashing thread was based on purchasing organic foods...damned if they do, damned if they don't. I see a lot of envy of poor people, how whack is that? For people who don't have EBT, and are envying the EBT users (which I find in itself odd, that folks seemingly already know what strangers at the grocery store are shopping with) for their " fancy" purchases - what's stopping you from buying what you want? Maybe you need to look at your own budget, maybe cut back on other discretionary spending like entertainment, cable TV, cell phones, car notes, etc. then you won't have to get jealous when someone buys organic spinach or brand name soft drinks while you can 'only afford' celery and Shasta.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Of course I watch, hard not to when I have to watch my food and buy cheaply while they buy steaks and junk food I can't afford. They need to buy cheaply too like generics instead of brand names and cheap beef instead of more expensive cuts.

I lived in an area full of people who got welfare because they refused to work. There's no way they should have been eating better than me when I was working at a pizza joint.
What if they want to eat healthy? The lean meat will cost more. The whole wheat bread will cost more. The fresh fruit costs more. Do you want the government to make a list with only select items they can eat?

Are you mad about the cost of the food because if the govt gives them $200 it doesn't really impact you in any way if they spend the $200 on soy milk & veggie burgers or $200 on pizza & brownies.

What other government programs bother you? Do you know the government provides subsidies for low income families so they can have affordable internet service...should they also regulate which websites they go on? Careerbuilder is fine but Netflix should be blocked!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
What if they want to eat healthy? The lean meat will cost more. The whole wheat bread will cost more. The fresh fruit costs more. Do you want the government to make a list with only select items they can eat?

Are you mad about the cost of the food because if the govt gives them $200 it doesn't really impact you in any way if they spend the $200 on soy milk & veggie burgers or $200 on pizza & brownies.

What other government programs bother you? Do you know the government provides subsidies for low income families so they can have affordable internet service...should they also regulate which websites they go on? Careerbuilder is fine but Netflix should be blocked!
No I don't believe internet should be subsidized either as internet is not a need. There is always internet at libraries. Yes I want them to eat healthy but there are things like cheaper meat that can be used to make several meals, just like those who are poor and unable to receive assistance do. It does affect me what they eat because fatter people mean tax payers pay more for Medicaid and it's tax dollars used for food stamps. They can grow gardens or buy veggies and fruits cheap if they go to farmer's markets but I rarely see that. If they want junk food and free internet there is this thing called WORKING and if they are working there is this thing called balancing the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies