Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wonder why "only" certain restaurants/fast food joints... it seems unlawful to be just a select few... but then what about it being used at a strip joint that serves food or Hooters... Food stamps used to be a good program, now its been turned into something else...
Lobbies
Lobbies
Lobbies.

Did I mention lobbies?

Follow the money to determine the true beneficiaries.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...mps/50267864/1

Yum! Brands Drops Bid to Allow Food Stamp Use at Fast Food Restaurants | Snap To Health

This is not too different from the free phone thing that predates Obama by several decades. Follow the money and see which carriers are the true beneficiaries of that user tax on most phone bills.
It was the move to cellphones that opened the floodgates to fraud.
The FCC didn't have any safeguards put in place to address that. Obama had nothing to do with that.
Landlines were physical connections and it was impossible to get 2 lines installed.
It wasn't until last year with soaring costs that the FCC finally did an audit and put a database in place and starting requiring the carriers to verify income. With that 41% of the subscribers didn't qualify anymore.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Total agreement.

I find it ironic that a lot of people who are this angry about paying taxes to support poor people via EBT and healthcare in the US have no problem with a budget that supports a massive military complex which does very little inside the US these days and pretty much props up Afghanistan and Iraq.
More than 6 million people are employed by defense spending and foreign aid used to buy weapons from U.S. manufacturers. This is why Congress does things like allocate big $ for new U.S. built tanks the military did not ask for and does not want. Then we gift them to Egypt and the like.

Want to cut off aid for Egypt or just about anywhere else? That means defense contracts are cancelled and unemployment soars which does not bode well for reelection of Congress or state legislators.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
A right is something that the government can't take away from you. The govt can take way a person's EBT card. It's not a right. There's nothing wrong with there being stipulations on what welfare recipients spend other people's money on.

The lobbyists make certain Congress and state legislators know who is buttering their bread.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

That's 81 programs that can be ended. One single program which could do a better job of vetting applicants.
Think of how much money we'd save.
You have mentioned this before. I have not been able to locate a list showing 81 programs. Do you have one?

Regardless, the cost of administering 81 anything is substantially greater than 1.

50 unique state politically appointed insurance commissions with 50 different codes is another point of major redundancy and waste.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You have mentioned this before. I have not been able to locate a list showing 81 programs. Do you have one?

Regardless, the cost of administering 81 anything is substantially greater than 1.

50 unique state politically appointed insurance commissions with 50 different codes is another point of major redundancy and waste.
Those 83 means tested programs cost over $1 trillion dollars in 2011 (2012 figures not out yet).

http://www.budget.senate.gov/republi...2-fa8ac8a8edad
Welfare Programs Dominate US Budget, CRS Reports

Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM

147 posts, read 596,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Total agreement.

I find it ironic that a lot of people who are this angry about paying taxes to support poor people via EBT...
Had you read the OP in full you'd have seen where I stated I had no problem supporting people in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with keeping our welfare crowd so well-fed and entertained is that they have lost all their work ethic and expect to have us keep them well-fed and very entertained the rest of their lives while they make no effort whatsoever. We are creating an extremely lazy class of people.

When you give the welfare moochers a higher standard of living than those who work for a living, you encourage more people to decide it's foolish to work.
Exceptionally well said; don't mind if I use this in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Why do so many here assume people on food stamps don't work?
Because the income cutoff isn't that high. Unless you have multiple children, working (even a minimum wage job) usually puts you over. If these people are truly working two or three jobs they're likely not on food stamps. But this isn't the point of my discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Perhaps you would like to give us a link for this? I can tell you for a fact that Colorado SNAP recipients can't cruise into Domino's and order a large with extra cheese. I get so tired of the false information posted on this forum which everyone jumps on as the gospel truth.
It varies by state. I'd like you to also do some research before getting irate for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Who cares where they spend their LIMITED food dollars. Just don't let them come crying to me when they run out before the end of the month.
You should care because this will have an adverse affect on health, something you also pay taxes for. At one point, don't know if this still goes, Medicaid even paid for gastric bypass.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, our so-called safety net programs have now become a lifestyle choice -- and a pretty luxurious choice. Imagine -- welfare recipients can now dine out in restaurants, and they can use their free cell phones however they please.
Follow the money, please.

We pay massive corporate farms subsidies to not grow certain crops to cap how much food can be produced at " fair market value", for the benefit of massive corporate farmers.

We allow SNAP to be used to purchase soda, chips, candy .... because the lobbies like PepsiCo insist on it.

Franchise lobbyists put pressure on state legislators to allow SNAP/EBT to be used at their restaurants.

Free phones have been around for decades. The carriers are the beneficiaries.

Congress created a new unfunded benefit, Medicare Part D for prescription medications and in the same breath, disallowed Medicare from negotiating prices making the Big Pharma lobby fat and happy.

These so called benefits have more to do with big business than the poor.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Why do so many here assume people on food stamps don't work?

The few people I know on food stamps work full time (single mothers with kids)-- they're just low paying jobs like CNAs and the food stamps are a supplement.

A couple people I know live in section 8 housing, where the rent they pay is 1/3 their income from working full time. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to afford an apartment for their family. They can't not work, really, because they make far more working & TANF benefits couldn't even being to cover expenses needed for children. There's no combination of safety-net benefits that pays for all needs.
You make an excellent point. I'll add another. The majority of Section 8 recipients are Seniors. Many alsoo rely on SNAP. 10,000 people a day began to turn 65 in 2010 and this trend will continue for the next 20 years.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then why are the poorest states with the most welfare dependence mostly red states?

Try again, lol.
Fact never matter to the right wing nutjobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies