Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems to me the media is pushing this rather hard.
It's like they WANT people to riot over this.
Of course they do. Higher ratings = increased advertising revenue.

It's all about the money $$$$$$$$. Truth and accuracy in reporting left the building L-O-N-G ago...

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Obama can't win with you no matter what he does. If he hadn't called for calm and peace, then you'd be here degrading him for not doing just what he did.
Wait....

If people need to be embarrassed that they predicted/thought riots would happen...why should Obama be excluded from that list?

Obama just can't lose with you.

That is what I find disturbing, is the people who make a human politician a demigod and refuse to find fault. Even when Obama is 100% responsible for a failure - like the promise to post all bills online for 5 days before he signs them into law, he could do this without congress - people still make excuses...this hurts the country.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Wait....

If people need to be embarrassed that they predicted/thought riots would happen...why should Obama be excluded from that list?

Obama just can't lose with you.

That is what I find disturbing, is the people who make a human politician a demigod and refuse to find fault. Even when Obama is 100% responsible for a failure - like the promise to post all bills online for 5 days before he signs them into law, he could do this without congress - people still make excuses...this hurts the country.
Obama never predicted race riots.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's not the point, many civil rights leaders have called for calm. The OP is trying to label people thinking there would be riots as racists itching for some sort of race war.

Examples like Obama etc. clearly refute that.
Thank you.

I was pointing out the "selectivity" in who the OP is calling out.

Obama can't lose with some.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Obama never predicted race riots.
Be honest, I know the topic is Obama, so it will be tough...

Asking people to be calm and peaceful in the wake of the verdict implies that he thinks there is a good chance that people may ______?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,561 times
So far, the pictures I've seen show crowds of whites and blacks. Whether that will hold together remains to be seen. There are "professional" agitators who can get things hot quickly. But I would remind us that it is not unusual at all for riots to occur in a city where a team has won a special championship game most recently in Chicago but it occurs in other mostly white enclaves too. Riots have a psychology of their own and people get swept up into the thing losing inhibitions and striking back at a controlled society. Was in one myself in my teen years. When I think of it, it scares me that anyone can lose control even cops. Best to avoid such events if possible.

People do not trust the "justice" system and for good reason. My lawyer tells me that juries tend to believe that if a person has been charged, indicted and named defendant that they did something to deserve it. In other words, the accused is trying to prove he did not do it. Worse, there are egregious examples of prosecutors abandoning all interests of truth to win a victory. Recall the Duke white guys accused of raping a black woman. Lucky for them, their families could afford expensive and top shelf lawyers. The DA ultimately resigned.

Zimmerman had top shelf representation. Had TM been the defendant, he would have had an overworked public defender and likely would have wound up in prison perhaps for life.

On the other hand, in MS over the past couple of years, two young white males have been imprisoned (one for life) for killing black males. The white teens in separate incidents had deliberately run down their victims. Punishment was due and delivered by the state. But the undeniable fact is that a black in court is more likely to go to prison and even more likely to go to prison even if not guilty. Too many examples of that.

Bottom line in my opinion, people will still grind on the race ax but more and more white people are also seeing the justice system as biased, corrupt and generally to be distrusted.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,114 times
There were no riots because there was no case, the prosecution knew this, TM parents, the Crumb and Al Sharpton and Co. knew this, they all knew it was a sham and a racial political persecution. The ulterior motive here was to set up a fund for them to receive donations, incite the lynch mobs and dregs of society so they could then sue and extort money for the death of their son. They are all money hungry fools. I bet the house and the farm that TM parents didn't donate the money they received in the HOA lawsuit to the so-called caused they are fighting for.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Be honest, I know the topic is Obama, so it will be tough...

Asking people to be calm and peaceful in the wake of the verdict implies that he thinks there is a good chance that people may ______?
Obama never predicted race riots, your side did.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Obama never predicted race riots, your side did.
Wait a minute...

#1 I won't let you off the hook on Obama...If he is asking people to be calm and peaceful - it means he thinks there is a good chance...people will break the law.

#2 If you want to talk about sides, what about all the threats of rioting, trouble, and attacks on Zimmerman made by "your side" over twitter, facebook, etc?

Game set match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies