Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Nope. It was reached Saturday evening.
Giving this couple even less time to find an agent! TY!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Giving this couple even less time to find an agent! TY!
Wtf are you talking about? I was correcting a poster who said that they didn't reach a verdict til Sunday afternoon.

They were given media packets on Saturday night as well.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I have no doubt you do.

People like that juror don't even realize that when they articulate that they "feel sorry" for that poor black girl, who "must feel" what was her word? "inadequate" to everybody and feel bad that she had such poor communication skills, etc., etc., they do not even realize how racist they are and how racist she sounded.
I considered it less racist and more classist. Quite frankly, if she were 'racist', she would have not felt sorry for Rachel's obvious lack of education, she would have been disdainful. I saw no element of her holding disdain for Rachel. However, like I said during the trial, Rachel's attitude had an impact on her credibility. I thought it would and turns out I was correct.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Wtf are you talking about? I was correcting a poster who said that they didn't reach a verdict til Sunday afternoon.

They were given media packets on Saturday night as well.
I misread! Gosh, give your fellow posters at least as much benefit of the doubt as you gave GZ!

Somehow, I seriously doubt that these "media packets" included names of agents to contact to write a book. I'd guess more like how to answer questions from reporters.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,178 times
Judging by the media coverage, a book about how they arrived at a "not guilty" verdict would have been a better $ell.

I can imagine that after being sequestered, the juror was appalled to see the sh*tstorm that had erupted on Twitter, etc. regarding the trial. Her agent probably saw the same and realized that it was not worth taking on. So it may have been a mutual decision to drop the idea.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I misread! Gosh, give your fellow posters at least as much benefit of the doubt as you gave GZ!

Somehow, I seriously doubt that these "media packets" included names of agents to contact to write a book. I'd guess more like how to answer questions from reporters.
No benefit of the doubt needed - I just paid attention to the facts and disregarded the faulty MSM reporting.

The media packets contained requests for interviews from media outlets.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I considered it less racist and more classist. Quite frankly, if she were 'racist', she would have not felt sorry for Rachel's obvious lack of education, she would have been disdainful. I saw no element of her holding disdain for Rachel. However, like I said during the trial, Rachel's attitude had an impact on her credibility. I thought it would and turns out I was correct.
Classist/racist are not mutually exclusive. I don't believe she genuinely felt "sorry" for Rachel at all. She would have cringed at the idea of actually having to ever talk to her in person. It's part of the so-called "upper class" well-educated "lingo" in small Southern towns in terms of expressing superiority in re other races, especially blacks. ONLY behind closed doors would they ever express their true feelings about such people as Rachel. That juror basically said that Rachel must have been enormously embarrassed of herself because she was so "inferior" to everyone else involved in the trial.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
No benefit of the doubt needed - I just paid attention to the facts and disregarded the faulty MSM reporting.

The media packets contained requests for interviews from media outlets.
You know this how? Provide a link, and don't tell me to google it. You're the one posting this info. I seriously doubt that the media packets contained offers from book agents.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Classist/racist are not mutually exclusive. I don't believe she genuinely felt "sorry" for Rachel at all. She would have cringed at the idea of actually having to ever talk to her in person. It's part of the so-called "upper class" well-educated "lingo" in small Southern towns in terms of expressing superiority in re other races, especially blacks. ONLY behind closed doors would they ever express their true feelings about such people as Rachel. That juror basically said that Rachel must have been enormously embarrassed of herself because she was so "inferior" to everyone else involved in the trial.
No, well to do Southern people feel the same way about poor whites too. If you're well-versed in how Southerners act and speak, I'm sure you've heard them use the phrase 'poor white trash' before. So, yes, it was classist (yes, that's a made up word but it conveys my point). The prosecution probably was counting on her being a mother for her compassion and did not think through how her socioeconomic background would have an impact on how she perceived witnesses.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Very distasteful. She's not brave; she's mercenary.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies