Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No benefit of the doubt needed - I just paid attention to the facts and disregarded the faulty MSM reporting.

The media packets contained requests for interviews from media outlets.
Well, her lawyer "hubby" must have been pretty busy during the trial looking for an agent to help them sell a book, which makes me wonder just what kind of loser lawyer he may be. I wonder how many lawyers in Sanford or Seminole County did NOT know about the public backlash in re this verdict, and did not know that many people were predicting RIOTS if Zimmerman were acquitted? Maybe money was more important to him than his wife.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 07-16-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
There is no more book deal for this juror:

Twitter user swiftly sabotages Zimmerman juror’s book deal

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know this how? Provide a link, and don't tell me to google it. You're the one posting this info. I seriously doubt that the media packets contained offers from book agents.
I wouldn't tell you to Google it, silly! It would be like telling you to Google how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Some things are just common knowledge.

I also never said that there was info from book agents in the packets.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
No, well to do Southern people feel the same way about poor whites too. If you're well-versed in how Southerners act and speak, I'm sure you've heard them use the phrase 'poor white trash' before. So, yes, it was classist (yes, that's a made up word but it conveys my point). The prosecution probably was counting on her being a mother for her compassion and did not think through how her socioeconomic background would have an impact on how she perceived witnesses.
LOL. Yes, I am "well-versed" in how "well-to-do" Southern people feel, behave, and talk. In fact, I have some very "well-to-do" Southern relatives, first cousins, in South Carolina; college educated, professionals who come from a good family. And "poor white trash" are above those "inferior black folks" in the hearts of many "well-to-do" and "well-educated" affluent folks in the South.....actually probably more so in South Carolina than even in Central Florida, but that's a very close call.

I'm guessing the prosecution didn't want this woman on the jury but they may have used up all their peremptory challenges by the time she was up for consideration. What I find STRANGE is why the prosecution didn't even attempt to get a change of venue for this trial. Most of us living in Florida are pretty familiar with the racist nature of many in the white population of that small town, and that 80% of the population is White.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
LOL. Yes, I am "well-versed" in how "well-to-do" Southern people feel, behave, and talk. In fact, I have some very "well-to-do" Southern relatives, first cousins, in South Carolina; college educated, professionals who come from a good family. And "poor white trash" are above those "inferior black folks" in the hearts of many "well-to-do" and "well-educated" affluent folks in the South.....actually probably more so in South Carolina than even in Central Florida, but that's a very close call.

I'm guessing the prosecution didn't want this woman on the jury but they may have used up all their peremptory challenges by the time she was up for consideration. What I find STRANGE is why the prosecution didn't even attempt to get a change of venue for this trial. Most of us living in Florida are pretty familiar with the racist nature of many in the white population of that small town, and that 80% of the population is White.
Well, coming from someone who spent their life in the South (living in SC now), I disagree completely. Also, I was under the impression the prosecution had peremptory challenges remaining.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well, coming from someone who spent their life in the South (living in SC now), I disagree completely. Also, I was under the impression the prosecution had peremptory challenges remaining.
Where did you get that impression that the prosecution had peremptory challenges remaining at the time the jury was selected? Do you have a link to any source for that?

Btw, I'm also from the South.....and have lived almost my entire life here. Admittedly, I don't have the positive bias about the "South" that some seem to have. I was fortunate enough to live in Miami for a number of years. Great city! But not for the "faint of heart." Also lived "out West" for a few years. However, most of my life I've been in the "South," grew up in the "South." Very familiar with the cultural conditioning.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
You are correct, the state did have challenges left. They chose not to use all of their challenges.
The state also dismissed a black man, which led to an all women, mostly white jury.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

Oh, so now you're the spokesperson for the financially successful Southerner?

I thought you only spoke for attorneys?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
The opportunist decided to cancel her book plans.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1400096

Last edited by florida.bob; 07-16-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You are correct, the state did have challenges left. They chose not to use all of their challenges.
The state also dismissed a black man, which led to an all women, mostly white jury.
Do you have a link for that information about the State not using all of their peremptory challenges? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to see where that information came from......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies