Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Those pathologies are usually the product of a underclass; it is possible to socially engineer a desirable low-income neighborhood by populating it with non-criminal, non-drug-using, non-gangbanger-producing, educated, working people like myself.

The problem is that many greedy absentee landlords prefer to rent out their properties to undesirable neighbors who get government freebies and have more money than I do.

While most people would prefer to have me as a neighbor than, say, a Section 8 family with three gangbangers-in-training, the residents of a neighborhood generally do not decide who can live there; property owners (e.g. landlords) and government do. So while it's possible to have a desirable low-income neighborhood, landlords and government get in the way.
An interesting and thoughtful rejoinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And in total, over the past three years, HUD’s investigative efforts have resulted in more than $65 million in compensation for more than 25,000 individuals that were allegedly subjected to housing discrimination.
That's the essence of it--it's a racket. Nice work if you're on the receiving end.

The neat trick is that the courts have decided (as the quote above implies) that discrimination does not need to be demonstrated in order to cash in. Nice 'work' if you can get it, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some consider the use of the credit score to be a form of red lining.

Others view credit scores as the great equalizer.
Credit scores are backed by the hard science of statistics.

What you are really hearing are people using the words "red lining" but in reality they are using disparate impact as "proof".

Note that there absolutley are businesses and people that use unfair practices. I hope they get their butts sued. However, the use of "disparate impact" is a patently unfair approach which I strongly oppose.

If a company is using unfair practices, it should be pretty easy to prove using hard data and not math-magics.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Disparate impact wouldn't stand a chance in the courts if we weren't a country full of innumerate idiots.

I see it here all the time, people that not only couldn't even remotely do any statistics is one thing....the swarms that don't even grasp what correlation or other basic concepts.

Pretty much anybody that ever tries to prove something using "red states" or "blue states" makes me want to chuck a stats book at thier head. lol.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't understand... does living in a certain neighborhood empower you to be different? I just assume people live in neighborhoods they could afford... I didn't think banks look at the address to see if an applicant is qualified for the loan...
the loan process is not the selection process. the bank is not the realtor. bank owned homes or banking practices is not the focus of this mandate.

Communities...municipal governments are.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The trend is scattered site housing for low income people. It's the absence of concentration of low income housing in a given geographical area that separates it from it's predecessors, the housing projects. When government money is used to build new multi unit rental housing a percentage of units typically would be set aside for low income dwellers. Low income includes senior housing. Seniors are the primary beneficiaries of Section 8 housing.
Just a back door way to pay back their political cronies, I'm thinking. First, they put poor folks out into the sticks. Then, when they have no way to get to places, they'll have to provide them with a car or build public transportation, where the contracts for those things will go to their buddies.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Quotas ?

Sorry you can't buy that house we have too many whites. It can only be sold to a minority.

Wonder how you count someone mixed like Obama ?
Affirmative Action, for housing.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Helping the poor get a home is one thing.

Keeping the home by paying property taxes and maintenance is completely different.

HGTV Dream Home Owner: "Foreclosure Proceedings Have Begun" - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
No thank you. Not only will crime skyrocket, but so will my property taxes since low income people can't pay their fair share to educate their children. This is just a scam to take wealth from white people.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
looks interesting from what ive read.

seems like only whites who want to live in there gated fortresses locked away from the world are against this.

not going to be like that anymore.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Just end zoning, or water it down. In particular, end minimum lot sizes and weaken R-1 zoning, so it becomes easier to convert SFRs into multiple units.

Increasing the supply is the best way to lower the cost and promote accessibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies