Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
As a black man in America I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty because as many have said I can't blame you for the sins of your ancestors.
But to completely ignore the impact slavery still has on America to this day is wrong.
If blacks and whites were on a foot race to equality and stability whites would have about a 2 lap lead. Blacks are closing fast but we are not there yet. It's just that we got off to a slow start for obvious reasons.
There are many good, well meaning people of both races and together they will continue to cut the gap and make America live up to its potential and be a place where all people truly are equal. Hate to sound so cliche about it but that's the way I see OUR country.
This.

It is foolish to obsess over slavery. No black person currently alive in the US has been legally enslaved and no white person alive in the US has ever legally held slaves.

However, Jim Crow laws and other racist laws DID delay the development of the black community for almost another 100 years. Although I am not afraid to be politically incorrect and point out that the black community suffers from a higher rate of many social ills than the white and Asian communities; I put little stock in the claims of racists who act like just because slavery ended 148 years ago that we can compare the black community to various ethnic and racial groups that immigrated to America around the same time. While the Irish, Jews, and Italians faced discrimination it was simply as not widespread nor intense as the discrimination that blacks faced.

Also, a number of successful black communities often became the target for envious white mobs whenever tensions would reach a boiling point. For the first half of the 20th Century race riots were primarily white mobs rampaging in black neighborhoods. I am reminded of the Rosewood Massacre and the Tulsa Race Riot to specific, but there were others. One reason why blacks didn't reach success on the scale of white immigrants is because most whites made damn sure they couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
This.

It is foolish to obsess over slavery. No black person currently alive in the US has been legally enslaved and no white person alive in the US has ever legally held slaves.

However, Jim Crow laws and other racist laws DID delay the development of the black community for almost another 100 years. Although I am not afraid to be politically incorrect and point out that the black community suffers from a higher rate of many social ills than the white and Asian communities; I put little stock in the claims of racists who act like just because slavery ended 148 years ago that we can compare the black community to various ethnic and racial groups that immigrated to America around the same time. While the Irish, Jews, and Italians faced discrimination it was simply as not widespread nor intense as the discrimination that blacks faced.

Also, a number of successful black communities often became the target for envious white mobs whenever tensions would reach a boiling point. For the first half of the 20th Century race riots were primarily white mobs rampaging in black neighborhoods. I am reminded of the Rosewood Massacre and the Tulsa Race Riot to specific, but there were others. One reason why blacks didn't reach success on the scale of white immigrants is because most whites made damn sure they couldn't.
I was about to comment that if you are white, you would not have any authority to advise how black people should be thinking baout slavery. But it appears that you have done some serious homework no matter who you might be. And being black, even I am in no postion to speak for all black people. But I can speculate that it would surely be easier to "get over" or recover from the effects of slavery if so many whites, especially through their inflamatory thread posts here and on similar sites, would also get over their supremist slave owner mentality that regularly condescends towards black people as lacking unethical, unintelligent, immoral or simply lacking general worth in this country.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Your sorry, lame azz apology isn't putting food on my table nor paying my light bill. Fluck an apology. Black folks want want equal opportunities like everyone else and to be treated fairly.

America got rich off the backs of black people and then proceeded to treat us like crap for decades after slavery ended and we are supposed to act like all is well when racism is still quite prevalent in today's time.

If there isn't enough food on your table its either because your lazy butt doesn't work hard/smart enough or you eat too much!

You have the same opportunities as everyone else.
You get free education, preferential placement, grants that whites can't get and a plethora of other benefits...stop your belly aching....grow up!

You just want more handouts!

This country grew on the backs of many people's but you don't hear them crying about it!

Apparently you think only black people came here as slaves....many more white slaves came here first...

Don't pull the indentured servant BS out either because that was later...initially they were slaves that were treated much worse than the black slaves.

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 07-29-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
If there isn't enough food on your table its either because your lazy butt doesn't work hard/smart enough or you eat too much!

You have the same opportunities as everyone else.
You get free education, preferential placement, grants that whites can't get and a plethora of other benefits...stop your belly aching....grow up!

You just want more handouts!
Where does this erroneous idea that being black means you are racking up in handouts and free stuff. I guess if you think suspicion is a handout, we get plenty.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where does this erroneous idea that being black means you are racking up in handouts and free stuff. I guess if you think suspicion is a handout, we get plenty.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Erroneous indeed! Show from my post where I said what you said I said!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
I don't know any black people who obsess about slavery and claim that "the man" is holding them back. I'd wager that those who claim to know black people who do this are lying.

But, I will in no way forget the legacy of my ancestors. They were strong, resilient people who made it through a hellish system of oppression that allowed me to be here today. To deny or ignore this history is unacceptable. I will NEVER forget my ancestors and their struggles and I don't really care who it offends.

The days of being able to dictate how a black person should think/act/feel are long over. And those who are upset about that are the ones who need to get over it.

I also find it really interesting that folks like to play the "get over slavery" game while completely dismissing the incredibly oppressive system of Jim Crow that followed and ended in the 1960's. Hell, many of the posters here were BORN in and/or before the 60's, so to suggest that blacks should have been able to catch up while being hobbled for hundreds of years is BEYOND insulting.

If you don't want to hear about slavery, plug your ears. But don't even think your whining about having to hear about it will sway me.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you chose to ignore my post. Yep, typical.

Why is it always everyone else's fault and responsibility? When the men impregnate woman but don't stick around. Woman allowing it knowing full well they can't afford to support the baby, this leads to poverty.

This guy impregnated and had 22 kids to 14 different woman
, didn't stick around for any of the kids or pay child support (and THINKS he is a good father).

Why should I have to pay for this?

what the hell does this have to do with the OP?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Whats interesting is that peoplelike to focus on slavery and forget everything that happened after that evenin the modern era where alot of race riots,policies and cointelpro were happening

Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Slavery, and its aftermath determined our modern day caste system. To pretend that it is irrelevant to present day politics is pretty naive.

Humans have slaved people since humanity started, but considering our nation's core principle was that all people are created equal, and then decided certain types of people were 3/5s of a person absolutely shapes the way things work today.

The fact that so many people refuse to acknowledge how we have structurally set up a system where certain groups have extraordinary hurdles to jump through to get ahead is absurd.

Although i am supposedly an individual who is supposed to be judged by the content of my own character, quite a lot of posters here are happy to lump my fellow black americans into one big group of hivemind. Why is that? Why am I in one of the few groups that isn't entitled to american individualism?

We don't have a caste system, we have CHOICE a system one of workers and non-workers, lazy and non-lazy, educated and non-educated all of which are CHOICES.

The FACT that people continue to makes excuses for those that CHOOSE to not even try to better themselves is naive. People who want to make something out of their lives usually do, people who want everything done for them and don't want to actually work for it usually don't. That has ZERO to do with slavery and everything to do with using it as an excuse to not even try. No person is entitled to a dang thing if you want something, make it happen don't expect someone else to do it for you. The excuses need to stop!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
It has plenty to do with it. Because we have racist whites like you still in power in politics, jobs, and law enforcement.

Blacks weren't the only slaves in history, but we are the only people who were slaves in the U.S. Let's not forget that Jim Crow just ended. Blacks feel the same way about white racism, enough is enough. Stop with the ignorant stereotypes. It's time for whites to let it go and move on. Unfortunately, based on this board I can tell many white people still hold racist beliefs.

Bahahahaha. And how do you know what color I am? You have no clue, you just assume because you don't like to hear the truth. The fact that someone that wants to succeed usually does and ones that don't give a crap should not expect a freakin thing. Jim Crow and slavery have been over for a very long time and the excuses are getting old. If you want to make something out of your life you will. I would like for you to names me one city that is predominantly black that is successful, that is not poverty ridden and crime ridden. Just one!

Oh and feel free to call me whatever you want it does and will never change the FACTS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies