Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The list of liberal cities far outshines the list of conservative ones. With the exception of Huntington Beach, I wouldn't choose to live in any of the conservative cities listed for any controllable reason.
I was thinking the same thing, though I am surprised to not see Portland, Or on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Conservative cities generally have the lowest unemployment and cost of living figures, so they would be the best places for someone poor and unemployed to get a decent job and get ahead.

Likewise, Liberal cities generally have the highest unemployment and cost of living, so they're not going to be your best option.
That is a generalized statement seeing one can easily find liberal cities that have a lower unemployment than conservative cities, and the kicker, it is even easier to find liberal cities with a lower unemployment than its more conservative state.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
It depends on where you can find a job.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'd take Detriot, I don't want to live around a bunch of Willard Romney mormon cult types.
Ah the truth comes out from libs who love to talk about tolerance but never practice it.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It depends on where you can find a job.
Bingo, the politics of a city doesn't matter if you can find work there.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'd take Detriot, I don't want to live around a bunch of Willard Romney mormon cult types.
Bigoted much? I'm sure you think all 14.5 million Mormons are exactly like Mitt Romney, but we're not. Some of us (me included) didn't even vote for him, and would actually make pretty decent neighbors, believe it or not.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Ah the truth comes out from libs who love to talk about tolerance but never practice it.
Oh I am sure the Romneys of the country don't want to live next to the liberals, that is why they love to gate their neighborhoods like rich prisons.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
^^^

avoiding utah and idaho is usually sufficient to avoid them in significant numbers.
Lots of LDS around the mountain west, e.g. Wyoming (I think the state with the next highest percentage, though WYO doesn't have a lot of people, Colorado (which I think is #8), Arizona, etc. Not an issue with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Conservative cities generally have the lowest unemployment and cost of living figures, so they would be the best places for someone poor and unemployed to get a decent job and get ahead.

Likewise, Liberal cities generally have the highest unemployment and cost of living, so they're not going to be your best option. If you get a job, it has to pay more to accommodate for the higher COL in big Liberal cities. Here's an extreme example -- the average 1BR apartment in Omaha costs $638/mo, while the average 1BR. in San Francisco is almost $2,700. In addition, the unemployment rate in SF is almost double that of Omaha.
I agree with this comment from the article:
Quote:
think this research is confusing liberal/conservative with democrat/republican. The cities in the liberal list I think are cities with people tha vote democrat but dont consider themselves to libetral or progressive. These are voters that vote democrat because of their situation but are otherwise socially and culturally conservative...
I"d be willing to be Detroit and Gary, IN are more socially conservative than a lot of other cities.

Denver (not on list) has a better economy than Colorado Springs (one of the cons). The "top 50" city with the lowest UE rate is usually Omaha, Nebraska, neither liberal nor exceptionally conservative.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
^^^

avoiding utah and idaho is usually sufficient to avoid them in significant numbers.
You don't have to avoid Utah or Idaho as a whole -- just parts of them. Salt Lake City is 50% Mormon. There are enough non-Mormons here that it's a nice mix. It's definitely more conservative than Detroit would be, but no where near as conservative as Provo, 40 miles to the south.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Bigoted much?
Salt lake city? Uh-oh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies