Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think this research is confusing liberal/conservative with democrat/republican. The cities in the liberal list I think are cities with people that vote democrat but don't consider themselves to be liberal or progressive. These are voters that vote democrat because of their situation but are otherwise socially and culturally conservative...
Many of the most conservative cities on this list have been governed by Democrats for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'd take Detriot, I don't want to live around a bunch of Willard Romney mormon cult types.
yeah give me detroit over those clean safe family values type any day..........

Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
My house would be unlawfully occupied in Provo because no more than two unrelated individuals can live together in a single-family zone. In other zones, max unrelated is three, so we would still be unlawfully occupying. Where is OWS when you need them?

Freaking family fascists. (Not literally correct, but great alliteration.)

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
I think it really depends on your skills and what is in demand in the area. I live in a liberal city and there are a lot of poor people here who live off welfare. However, engineers, automation control technicians, and CNC machinists can do well here.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Your #1 choice would be either Detroit, MI (most Liberal) or Provo, UT (most conservative).

Which would you choose to live in?
I would choose neither.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The liberal cities are very expensive to live in due to the regulations and restrictions.
All in the name of the betterment of society of course.
Liberal cities tend to have much higher demand than they have for supply is why they tend to be more expensive, as well as geographic limitations. You would be hard pressed to find a conservative city people were trying to move to that also had a low cost of living that wasn't a suburb to a liberal or left leaning city.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I was wondering that myself, about Detroit being the most liberal. It seems wrong. How did they get that answer? Did they poll people & ask their political affiliation? Base it on the political party identification of the representatives of local government? It just seems not right.
Not sure why this thread was resurrected, but nobody (including me) bothered to really look at how they arrived at this list OR the other really interesting information in the "report".
Quote:
Research Method
The goal of this research was to rank America’s most liberal and conservative cities
based on the voting returns of the 2004 United States presidential election. The Bay Area Center
for Voting Research identified every American city with a population greater than 100,000
according to the 2000 Census, and obtained the election returns in each of these cities5. The
researchers obtained information for the applicable cities located within each state by contacting
the city recorder, city clerk, or other designated city official. In many instances, it was the
recorder of the county in which that city was located that held the information by “precinct,” or
election district of a city. The votes were tabulated by combining the voting returns from all of
the precincts located in a particular city.
(two cities in Texas refused to submit their data for the Study - Wichita Falls & Amarillo)

Data for this list came from the 2004 Presidential election and the 2000 Census report - the Study was released in 2005 ...... which means this is all pretty out of date. We've now had 2 more Presidential Elections and a new Census. This is a snap shot of Data prior to Obama being elected.

All that said - the Study hi-lighted several areas that were consistent with Liberal and Conservative cities of over 100,000 population.

1. Race was the deciding factor in most of the Liberal lists (Northwest coast is the exception), but this explains why Detroit was #1 on the List with a Liberal vote of 93.98%.
2. Marriage (or lack of) was a significant factor - Liberal cities have less marriage, Conservative cities have more marriage by a considerable percentage.
3. Education (high school grads) was a significant factor - Liberal cities have a less educated population, Conservative cities have a more educated population
4. Age - the surprise to the Study was that Age is not a factor in either Liberal or Conservative voting patterns.

For those who a are interested - the compete Study and all their findings.

The Most Liberal and Conservative Cities in the United States

Nothing at all in the Study had any information or relevance to the Economy or Jobs in those Cities. There is a lot of interesting information in the Study on voting patterns and the Data they used in totally Valid. Turns out that Liberal voters are not the "most educated" and that Conservative voters are not "old". Also interesting that 7 California cities made the Top 25 Conservative List and the the San Francisco Bay area is the most Liberal in the USA. It was interesting to read the Demographics of the Hispanics in the list - several of Cities high on the Conservative list had very high numbers of Hispanics. Provo #1 and Lubbock #2 on the Conservative Top 25 are both just over 100,000 AND are College Towns. Berkeley #3 and Cambridge #8 on the Liberal Top 25 are College Towns. Austin, Houston and San Antonio TX are perceived to be the most Liberal Cities in Texas, BUT San Antonio rank high on the Conservative List and Dallas, TX ranks as the most Liberal City in Texas by a lot - when the ranking is based on voting patterns. There are a LOT of misconceptions that have been promoted by the Left in several areas when it comes to "age, income, education" of Liberals and Democrats according to the actual voting patterns and Data.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
What in the hell is a conservative city or a liberal city?

These generalizations make little sense relative to employment.

You go where the jobs are depending on what sector you work in. If you wanna work in the oilfields, you surely wouldn't move to Miami. If you wanna work as a software engineer, you probably wouldn't have Billings, Montana on your radar.

Is EVERYTHING with some of you people political?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Here is a list of the 25 most liberal cities in the USA, and the 25 most conservative cities:

Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities | content content from American City & County

My question is, if you are out of work and living in poverty, yet you want to earn a good job with a decent, steady income to provide a quality standard of living, would it be better to be living in, or be seeking to move to, one of the most liberal cities, or one of the most conservative cities?
If I was in that position, politics would be my last consideration. I'd move to the state that had the most job opportunities for my skill set.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Right now, if I were a young man, fresh out of high school and had no college intentions or ability to go, I would go to one of the oil fields and find employment. If I had to take a bus, hitchhike or walk. I would go to one of the oil towns and walk into the unemployment office and say I want to go to work anywhere. I might not get on with a drilling company overnight, but I would start building my resume in that direction. If I had to work at a convenience store at the moment, I would try to get the night shift in order to free up my days to look for potential opportunities to move closer to my goals. While most oil field towns are more right wing towns than left, I don't think it really makes a difference. You go towards the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies