Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Here is a list of the 25 most liberal cities in the USA, and the 25 most conservative cities:

Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities | content content from American City & County

My question is, if you are out of work and living in poverty, yet you want to earn a good job with a decent, steady income to provide a quality standard of living, would it be better to be living in, or be seeking to move to, one of the most liberal cities, or one of the most conservative cities?
The place to go for work is Williston, North Dakota and surrounding areas. Because of the oil boom, there are a variety of different jobs, blue and white collar in the industry itself and in the industries that cater to the people who go there for work (hotels, restaurants, construction, etc.).

"Oil field workers in the state saw an average annual wage of $112,462 in 2012. Competition has intensified since the boom started around 2007, but entry level rig workers still average about $66,000 a year, according to Rigzone, an industry information provider and job website."

North Dakota Oil Jobs: The 10 Highest-Paying Positions | The Fiscal Times

"With oil come jobs. Williston and its surrounding areas have generated over 75,000 new jobs, and average annual wages have more than tripled in the past decade, going from $24,841 in 2002 to $78,364 today. For those in the oil field, who typically work long overtime hours, the average wage in the state is $112,462. The state now has 22,000 more jobs than people looking for work. Nearly every business in town has “Help Wanted” signs and has raised wages to attract employees. McDonald’s started offering $300 signing bonuses, and the hourly pay for a cashier position at Walmart starts at $17.50, twice as much as the same position in other locations. And if a jobseeker can snag a job in the oil industry, they can make over $100,000 with no college degree." (November 2013 article)

How to Find a Job in the North Dakota Oil Boom | The Fiscal Times

These states have the lowest unemployment rates:

Unemployment Rates for States

1 NORTH DAKOTA 2.6
2 SOUTH DAKOTA 3.6
3 NEBRASKA 3.7
4 UTAH 4.3
5 Four states tied for 5th with a 4.4 HAWAII, IOWA, VERMONT and WYOMING

These states have the highest unemployment rates:

46 CALIFORNIA 8.5
47 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 8.6
48 ILLINOIS 8.7
49 MICHIGAN 8.8
50 Two states tie for worst with 9.0: NEVADA and RHODE ISLAND

If the poor are concentrated in the biggest cities, I wouldn't live there because you'll be taxed higher for any city programs, in addition to state programs, to pay for those programs, once you have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Right now, if I were a young man, fresh out of high school and had no college intentions or ability to go, I would go to one of the oil fields and find employment. If I had to take a bus, hitchhike or walk. I would go to one of the oil towns and walk into the unemployment office and say I want to go to work anywhere. I might not get on with a drilling company overnight, but I would start building my resume in that direction. If I had to work at a convenience store at the moment, I would try to get the night shift in order to free up my days to look for potential opportunities to move closer to my goals. While most oil field towns are more right wing towns than left, I don't think it really makes a difference. You go towards the money.
The oil boom is going to bust, and when it does, it's gonna be REALLY ugly.

I would advise any young man to take his butt to college and get himself an education. Then you can strike out and find a job after that...with a degree in your hand.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I would advise any young man to take his butt to college and get himself an education. Then you can strike out and find a job after that...with a degree in your hand.
Didn't you just write this??

Quote:
You go where the jobs are depending on what sector you work in. If you wanna work in the oilfields, you surely wouldn't move to Miami.

Which is it?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:

I sometimes wonder if the oil boom that southeast Texas and Houston in particular are riding right now will bust and when it will bust. I also wonder if and when this happens if the fall of Houston will mimic the fall of Detroit.

You would think cities would learn to diversify their economies. I'd be willing to bet that almost half of Houston's skyline is owed to the large oil corporations that have set up shop there. When we DO find another source of energy to replace oil, or when oil runs out, Houston will probably become the next Detroit.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:

You won't get an argument from me about eventually having the bubble pop again in the oil fields.. I've lived the boom and bust of them for over 40 years. The question is what can a young person without the ability to go to college for what ever reason, do in order to prepare for a productive life? A young person with a high school diploma and determination can go into the oil fields right now, and make more money than a college grad. If he saves, he can pay in cash for a degree after a downturn. I can tell you right now that we are at least 15 years away from another bust, but you go ahead and believe what you will. College isn't the answer for everyone but everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Didn't you just write this??

Which is it?
I didn't contradict myself.

You're just confusing yourself.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You won't get an argument from me about eventually having the bubble pop again in the oil fields.. I've lived the boom and bust of them for over 40 years. The question is what can a young person without the ability to go to college for what ever reason, do in order to prepare for a productive life? A young person with a high school diploma and determination can go into the oil fields right now, and make more money than a college grad. If he saves, he can pay in cash for a degree after a downturn. I can tell you right now that we are at least 15 years away from another bust, but you go ahead and believe what you will. College isn't the answer for everyone but everyone has to start somewhere.
World events can change that 15 years number into 15 days overnight.

I don't EVER trust booms under any circumstances.

And sure, they could save for that college education, but let's face reality...oilfield guys spend their dough as fast ad they can make it. They won't save much if any money at all.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom;30750339

[B
Without education and /or a marketable skill set I don't think it's going to matter much where one lives or the local politics[/b].
Amen!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
World events can change that 15 years number into 15 days overnight.

I don't EVER trust booms under any circumstances.

And sure, they could save for that college education, but let's face reality...oilfield guys spend their dough as fast ad they can make it. They won't save much if any money at all.
That's strange.... I saved mine for 17 years before the last bust in the 80's... A lot of people I knew did. I made enough money to save a large chunk of money and still have money to blow. Someone who is immature is going to be immature irrespective of where they working for Mustang drilling co. or 7-11.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's strange.... I saved mine for 17 years before the last bust in the 80's... A lot of people I knew did. I made enough money to save a large chunk of money and still have money to blow. Someone who is immature is going to be immature irrespective of where they working for Mustang drilling co. or 7-11.
On C-D, everyone did the right thing. I get it.

Meanwhile in real life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies