Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised so many rw's here are for this law. This is a very big government law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Or......they could just require that the mother name the father if she wants to be eligible for any child support services, such as WIC, welfare, food stamps etc.

If she doesn't want to name the father.....she has to take care of the child on her own dime.
What if she's raped and doesn't know who the father is?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This is a bull**** law!

Personal story, but I was born to a teenage mother who refused to name my father as well. She did so to protect me because he was NOT a good man. This is a disgusting violation of the right of the mother to protect her child. It better not pass.
I'm sorry about your personal case, but I think this is a great law. Most of the teen moms I knew had children vy irresponsible older men, some who were married, and never saw a dime of child support. This is especially a problem among poor black/latino people in this country. Of all the underage moms I knew growing up, I can't remember one guy going to jail for statutory rape or not paying child support.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
He may not have been a good man, but he WAS responsible to your mother and you for ½ of your financial support. Unless the mother is willing to sign a waiver, good in ALL 50 states, that she will not apply and/or receive any public assistance, then I think the law should pass.
So then you have an abusive man, forced to pay child support, who may go after visitation with his child in retaliation for having to pay. How does that work to the child's benefit, or to society's for that matter? Most people absolutely would name the dad (in order to get child support) unless there was a pretty strong reason not to.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The OP mentions nothing about 'underage'
It's in the quoted parts from the article. Plus, there is a link to the article.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This. I disagree with automatic DNA tests. First off, what does it prove? Unless you are a criminal in the system they still have no idea who the father is and who is to say she is going to ask for assistance?
We still need to know if these are adult men and who they are. If only 10% are adult men caught by these tests, then they are worth it.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 PM

808 posts, read 663,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Or......they could just require that the mother name the father if she wants to be eligible for any child support services, such as WIC, welfare, food stamps etc.

If she doesn't want to name the father.....she has to take care of the child on her own dime.
exactly. and if the father named disputes the paternity - then do a DNA testing.

I am against any storage of the DNA by the government.

The innocent baby's DNA is also stored - why on earth would you punish the baby?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tough love by the state.
Got to start holding people responsible for their actions.
Fathers need to be made responsible for life they create.
My position exactly. Should've been done years ago.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This is a bull**** law!

Personal story, but I was born to a teenage mother who refused to name my father as well. She did so to protect me because he was NOT a good man. This is a disgusting violation of the right of the mother to protect her child. It better not pass.
I have a friend who did the same...claimed it happened while she was in a drunken state and she only knew the guy's first name.

On another note, what happens if the girl decides to give birth at home and the cord is discarded "accidentally"

Also, how would this work if the mother wants to "bank" the cord for possible use in the future?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What if she's raped and doesn't know who the father is?
Obviously, that would be an exception to the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies