Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I'm surprised so many rw's here are for this law. This is a very big government law.
Big government is just fine when it pertains to women as far as rw's are concerned....where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Unless the father is already in the system, what possible good would it do?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Or......they could just require that the mother name the father if she wants to be eligible for any child support services, such as WIC, welfare, food stamps etc.

If she doesn't want to name the father.....she has to take care of the child on her own dime.
That will be the day! I have seen women, swear, "I was drunk, and don't know who the man is I had sex with. I can't remember his name, and I had sex with five guys that week, I don't know where they live, or their phone number." Okay. " What is your baby's name?", "Miguel.", okay, interesting that his name is the same name as your, "landlord"...."yes, he is a great landlord.". Okay.

The worst aspect of this law, is that the Daddy, may hold the woman "hostage", when she starts giving birth, and force more home births. Mississippi already has the highest infant mortality rate, almost as high or higher than many third world countries. Out of fear of being arrested for child molestation. I have no doubt this will occur.

The problem is that the fancy folks in the capital building who make these laws, don't have a clue about the thought process of these folks....they just make up these, "brilliant" plans...

Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Most of these men wouldn't be supportive anyway. Mother's don't just not list the father at birth for no reason. In fact, all of them probably have very good reasons for not listing the father. Single motherhood isn't something that people strive for.

I went on to meet my real father when I was 19 years old. A year later, we stopped talking to eachother. I am a more successful, strong, and confident person because my mother kept that man and his family out of my life. That deadbeat is a conservative Republican too. What a joke.
You think they really care ? They just love that big government don't they ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
He may not have been a good man, but he WAS responsible to your mother and you for ½ of your financial support. Unless the mother is willing to sign a waiver, good in ALL 50 states, that she will not apply and/or receive any public assistance, then I think the law should pass.
Wow you are truly out of your mind, I honestly hope you never experience such a thing as being with an abusive spouse your trying to get away from.

And how many of the "small government" cons on here don't think that after they have gathered such a rather large database on people that they won't use it in some way for profit ? Aren't many of the cons on here the one's screaming about how obama does this, the nsa does that, the irs does this ? You seriously don't think something like this will end up getting expanded upon ? Perhaps if Mississippi believed in teaching their kids sex ed instead of abstinence they wouldn't have this sort of problem but perhaps that sort of future thinking is beyond the WE WANT GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES crowd. And unless the father is on record what than is going to happen exactly ? Do you think the types of men that would sleep with a 16yr old are all known by the police or have any actual records ?

Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,342,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
He may not have been a good man, but he WAS responsible to your mother and you for ½ of your financial support. Unless the mother is willing to sign a waiver, good in ALL 50 states, that she will not apply and/or receive any public assistance, then I think the law should pass.
As much as you would like to destroy the lives of children, you are not allowed to. This law WILL NOT PASS. At least it won't in any state that I live without me protesting somewhere. And yes, these children should get the EXACT same criteria for applying for government aid. I swear, you conservatives whine and complain about abortion but when the baby arrives you want to do EVERYTHING YOU POSSIBLY CAN to make that baby's life a living hell!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Mississippi, which has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the nation, has passed a law that when a teenager will not name the father of the baby that the state can do DNA test on umbilical chord blood.

I think this is a good law. Children born out-of-wedlock are a huge burden on our social welfare system but that isn't the only reason the state has an interest in finding out who the dads are. When you are discussing teen moms, sometimes you are not talking about teen dads.

You are conflating two different issues. This is not about recieving social services. This is not a precursor to obtaining welfare benefits...this is simply to take the DNA from teen mother's afterbirth.

The State or no one else is going to go hunting for the daddy. Even if the state did that, to what outcome, most likely the father is a child himself and has no assests to give to the Child, Mother, or State.

This ridiculous Mississippi-logic law will be over turned as soon as the Governor signs it.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
It SHOULD pass as someone is / should be responsible. A woman's poor choices are irrelevant.

This would help solve incest, child rape and statutory rape cases. also it could help the children in the future with support and possibly a medical history from the father's side.

These women at times "made their beds " and should woman up and deal with the consequences.
Haha. You honestly think that these men want to be in the child's life? They don't! Every mother that has a birth and doesn't list the father has a damn good reason for doing so. These children still run the same chance of being on government aid because chances are the father will be a deadbeat. Only in your dream world, he will be a deadbeat and the children will be exposed to him.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You bring up a good point. Or to another point the father may come and say hey I didn't know I was the father but now that I am guess what I want custody. I know everybody thinks guys just run off all the time but that isn't the case in many situations. Some guys don't even know they are fathers and find out years later and get hit for years of back child support they didn't even know about.
In my case, my father was very much aware that my mother was pregnant with his child. He said he didn't want to be a father and encouraged abortion. There was a whole lot of other drama as well. In the end, my mother didn't make it difficult for him. If he didn't want to be a dad she wasn't going to force him to be.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I'm sorry about your personal case, but I think this is a great law. Most of the teen moms I knew had children vy irresponsible older men, some who were married, and never saw a dime of child support. This is especially a problem among poor black/latino people in this country. Of all the underage moms I knew growing up, I can't remember one guy going to jail for statutory rape or not paying child support.
These men still won't pay a dime of child support. I promise you. That is the reality of the world we live in.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
You think they really care ? They just love that big government don't they ?

Wow you are truly out of your mind, I honestly hope you never experience such a thing as being with an abusive spouse your trying to get away from.

And how many of the "small government" cons on here don't think that after they have gathered such a rather large database on people that they won't use it in some way for profit ? Aren't many of the cons on here the one's screaming about how obama does this, the nsa does that, the irs does this ? You seriously don't think something like this will end up getting expanded upon ? Perhaps if Mississippi believed in teaching their kids sex ed instead of abstinence they wouldn't have this sort of problem but perhaps that sort of future thinking is beyond the WE WANT GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES crowd. And unless the father is on record what than is going to happen exactly ? Do you think the types of men that would sleep with a 16yr old are all known by the police or have any actual records ?
If they're doing this dna testing on young teen mothers, you don't have to worry about big government --- it's already paying for the hospital stay, the prenatal care, it will be providing all the food for the child, all the Obamaphones, WIC, schooling, housing --- everything. So what's the problem? You're sure not worried about big government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies