Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times

Advertisements

Being a black NYer myself, from what I've seen it appears that few blacks have any desire to "integrate" into mainstream white neighborhoods, unlike Asians.

I honestly think Hispanic is far too broad of a term as well. Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans tend to have different perspectives on what neighborhoods that they want to live in compared to other Hispanic groups.

But I personally NEVER hear any of my back friends wanting to move into Soho, the West Village, Williamsburg or any of these other gentrified "trendy" areas. Most blacks are happy in "black neighborhoods" from what I can see. I honestly don't see where there is any institutional racism played out on here.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
It's also similar to what liberals are now suggesting be done with Detroit --- bring in illegals for them to rebuild the city into some magically wonderful place -- something they didn't do for their own cities obviously. This was also the mentality after Katrina -- replace the blacks with illegal hispanics and make it another Spanish speaking city.

It's really the same thing Obama is doing -- he might give lip service to the unemployed Americans, many are black but then in the next sentence start raving on about amnesty and how he's going to do so much for foreigners here illegally, especially the hispanics.

Most hispanics will check the white box on forms -- that's why it's now been broken down for them -- they can still have their racial preferences but also be white.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They want more Hispanic representation in Congress.
Is this a problem? For different demographics/constituencies to be duly represented in government?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also similar to what liberals are now suggesting be done with Detroit --- bring in illegals for them to rebuild the city into some magically wonderful place -- something they didn't do for their own cities obviously.
Can you provide some evidence that "liberals are now suggesting bringing in illegals to save Detroit?" I'd like to know your source for this statement. Is there some proposed legislation regarding this or is it just some baseless nonsense you are pulling out of your backside and presenting as factual?

Quote:
It's really the same thing Obama is doing -- he might give lip service to the unemployed Americans, many are black but then in the next sentence start raving on about amnesty and how he's going to do so much for foreigners here illegally, especially the hispanics.
You mean the way Reagan did with regards to amnesty?

Quote:
Most hispanics will check the white box on forms -- that's why it's now been broken down for them -- they can still have their racial preferences but also be white.
What the heck do you even mean by this?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Looks like the capital of liberalism has hit a speed bump on the road to glorious diversity.

Been saying this for some time now. Once immigration reform is passed, Blacks will be pushed to the side once and for all.

Sign of things to come? Integration without blacks in New York City neighborhoods | Pew Research Center
Oh well...blacks had their chance to speak at the polls...they're going to get exactly what they deserve.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
I don't think anything or anyone is stopping them from moving in. A lot of black people (especially the ones who's family has been here for generations) prefer to live among themselves. There are a lot of black people at my work who make more money than me, but they choose to live in mostly Black neighborhoods ( I live in a very white area). Maybe they feel like it is easier to bond with neighbors who are more similar to them.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Is this a problem? For different demographics/constituencies to be duly represented in government?
IMHO yes when they want redistricting done in such a way to capture certain neighborhoods and eliminate others because of popular politicians.

Lloyd Doggett is a pretty liberal Democrat by Texas standards but is too popular to go against a newcomer who is Hispanic. So people want out of Doggett's district to form their own.

The real problem is that the Hispanics don't go to the polls and vote.
That's what they should concentrate on rather than try to eliminate competition.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I don't think anything or anyone is stopping them from moving in. A lot of black people (especially the ones who's family has been here for generations) prefer to live among themselves. There are a lot of black people at my work who make more money than me, but they choose to live in mostly Black neighborhoods ( I live in a very white area). Maybe they feel like it is easier to bond with neighbors who are more similar to them.
I was thinking the same thing. All of my black friends live anywhere from Canarsie, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy,Brownsville/ENY (Brooklyn) to Rosedale, Hollis, and Jamaica Queens-which are all pretty much "black neighborhoods." I have a few in the Bronx, and North Shore Staten Island as well....and I have never heard one express any desire to move into the Upper West Side, Mid-town, downtown, Riverdale (Bronx) Maspeth, Bensonhurst etc (Brooklyn) any part of South Shore Staten Island or places like Astoria in Queens which are some of the "monied elite" and middle/lower class white neighborhoods.

Black folks only seem to raise their voices when they are being priced out of their own neighborhoods. But otherwise, I never hear black folks marching and protesting to be allowed into white areas.

For some odd reason, whenever whites see a lack of interest in their neighborhoods by blacks...somehow they think they [blacks] must be deprived in some way.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Can you provide some evidence that "liberals are now suggesting bringing in illegals to save Detroit?" I'd like to know your source for this statement. Is there some proposed legislation regarding this or is it just some baseless nonsense you are pulling out of your backside and presenting as factual?

You mean the way Reagan did with regards to amnesty?

What the heck do you even mean by this?
Mayor Bloomberg suggests open door for immigrants -- to Detroit - NYPOST.com

Mayor Bloomberg yesterday floated a startling fix to the vexing problems of illegal immigration and Rust Belt stagnation -- steer immigrants to struggling cities like Detroit and make them stay there to revitalize the local economies.

A Modest Proposal: Drop Undocumented Immigrants Into Detroit - NationalJournal.com

Remember, immigrants take jobs Americans won’t. Housing, obviously, would be no problem, with almost 100,000 vacant units in Detroit. Safety? In theory, that’s something the city could improve on if its tax base grows, although it’s not a guarantee.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Black kids can't even trick or treat to certain homes. La Raza isn't about integration or assimilation.

Sign in front of Northeast El Paso home: "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" - El Paso Times

"I understand she may feel that way toward blacks. She doesn't have to advertise it," said next-door neighbor Andre Sherman, who is black. "The whole spirit of Halloween is for the kids."

Sherman, 30, and his family moved in next door in January. He fears what may happen if a black child runs up to the home because Martinez has been seen carrying a rifle in her yard and yelling racial slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies