Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Looks like the capital of liberalism has hit a speed bump on the road to glorious diversity.

Been saying this for some time now. Once immigration reform is passed, Blacks will be pushed to the side once and for all.

Sign of things to come? Integration without blacks in New York City neighborhoods | Pew Research Center
You are always ranting about how Blacks are violent criminals , this should make you happy.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's actually a really cool idea. It's something new, but it boils down to controlling where immigrants can move. Detroit in particular will be allowed to issue out green cards/work visas to specifically build back their tax base. It's probably the best idea I've heard to fix Detroit.
It's a silly idea because if the immigrants wanted to move to Detroit they would do so already. It's also unconstitutional you can't force people to live somewhere in order to live in the USA.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's a silly idea because if the immigrants wanted to move to Detroit they would do so already. It's also unconstitutional you can't force people to live somewhere in order to live in the USA.
You righties were whining about Muslim immigrants taking over Detroit a few years ago.

Talking on both sides of your mouth is the right wing pastime.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Black kids can't even trick or treat to certain homes. La Raza isn't about integration or assimilation.

Sign in front of Northeast El Paso home: "No blacks welcomed to trick-or-treat" - El Paso Times

"I understand she may feel that way toward blacks. She doesn't have to advertise it," said next-door neighbor Andre Sherman, who is black. "The whole spirit of Halloween is for the kids."

Sherman, 30, and his family moved in next door in January. He fears what may happen if a black child runs up to the home because Martinez has been seen carrying a rifle in her yard and yelling racial slurs.
So one person is representative of the entire neighborhood or community?
Really?
I remember this report - it happened almost two years ago. The woman was, maybe still is, mentally disturbed based on interviews from the neighbors and her behavior towards the city.
Absolutely fascinating that you would attempt to use this to prove some wide-spread racism in this neighborhood when the neighbors quoted in your link said this woman was a aberration.

As for the OP, as others who live in NYC have noted, cultural segregation is, and has long been, self-enforced.
It was that way when I was a kid and unless someone is actively being prevented from living where they want to live, not sure why it is supposed to be an issue.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
From what I understand, Chicago is a real dump all together. It was supposed to rival New York in the center of the US but has turned into a post-apocalyptic dump.
Your understanding is wrong.

Try doing a search for Michigan Ave., Chicago.

Yes, there are bad neighborhoods, but overall, Chicago is a vibrant, beautiful city. nowhere near approaching, say, Camden or Trenton in post-apocalyptic chic.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word is that Black Hispanics like Dominicans and many Puerto Ricans don't even like regular American Black people and WILL try to pass themselves off as "white", even the dark skin ones.
I remember I used to work with this Black Panamanian man. If somebody referred to him as black or African American, he was adamant about telling them that he was NOT black and that he was "latino". Lol, this dude was darker than I was.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The new HUD rules will change that though.
HUD's new goal is to integrate and they are going to tell cities which areas are not integrated enough.

Maybe Uncle Sam does see this happening and trying to change it through social engineering and government mandates.
When you dangle that Fed dollar you can attach strings. Details are just starting to come out on this.

HUD Proposes Plan to Racially, Economically Integrate Neighborhoods - US News and World Report
There's gonna be some hell to raise when executives have to start riding those yellow buses.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I was thinking the same thing. All of my black friends live anywhere from Canarsie, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy,Brownsville/ENY (Brooklyn) to Rosedale, Hollis, and Jamaica Queens-which are all pretty much "black neighborhoods." I have a few in the Bronx, and North Shore Staten Island as well....and I have never heard one express any desire to move into the Upper West Side, Mid-town, downtown, Riverdale (Bronx) Maspeth, Bensonhurst etc (Brooklyn) any part of South Shore Staten Island or places like Astoria in Queens which are some of the "monied elite" and middle/lower class white neighborhoods.

Black folks only seem to raise their voices when they are being priced out of their own neighborhoods. But otherwise, I never hear black folks marching and protesting to be allowed into white areas.

For some odd reason, whenever whites see a lack of interest in their neighborhoods by blacks...somehow they think they [blacks] must be deprived in some way.
^^ 100% correct. Took the words RIGHT OUT MY MOUTH!!

This should be the #endthread post!

In NYC, most blacks stick to their own communities. I grew up near the border of NYC and my parents chose a middle class black suburb despite making an income where they can afford almost any other neighborhood in the entire region. There are many other successful black people in my family and others that we know of; and most of them stick to black areas too.

Even when you look at data, many black communities in and around NYC have above-average median household incomes. My particular black community still has nicely-rated schools and it's been majority black for many decades now.

I love the fact that successful black people in my region usually stay to and respect their communities instead of storming out once they make a pretty penny and letting it crumble. It's very inspiring and enriching to grow up in such an area and I want my future kids to grow up in one too.

I'm not trying to discredit the article but it doesn't paint the whole picture..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Being a black NYer myself, from what I've seen it appears that few blacks have any desire to "integrate" into mainstream white neighborhoods, unlike Asians.

I honestly think Hispanic is far too broad of a term as well. Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans tend to have different perspectives on what neighborhoods that they want to live in compared to other Hispanic groups.

But I personally NEVER hear any of my back friends wanting to move into Soho, the West Village, Williamsburg or any of these other gentrified "trendy" areas. Most blacks are happy in "black neighborhoods" from what I can see. I honestly don't see where there is any institutional racism played out on here.

I don't believe this. Many blacks would love to live in Soho and West Village. The issue is really the money. A studio "closet" size apartment will run 2500+/month in those areas.

More black people would have the freedom to live wherever they wanted if they had the capital. The key to generating income is financial literacy & entrepreneurship.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I don't believe this. Many blacks would love to live in Soho and West Village. The issue is really the money. A studio "closet" size apartment will run 2500+/month in those areas.

More black people would have the freedom to live wherever they wanted if they had the capital. The key to generating income is financial literacy & entrepreneurship.
Wrong.

Black people with the exception of a few have no interest in the area, or mixing it up with the gentrified whites. Blacks generally aren't drawn to over priced coffee houses, expensive small sandwich shops and boutique "used" clothing and furniture stores.

It is what it is.

Crushing to your ego right?

I know, it's pretty shocking to some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies