Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We have a constitutional right to travel, though I am unsure if this technically includes settle as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
This is absolutely correct.

The Comity Clause, Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1, prevents a state from treating citizens of the other Several states in a discriminatory manner. From that, the right of interstate movement is directly inferred.
Yes. For citizens.

Am I really arguing the Conservative position on immigration to C-D Conservatives? Shocking!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Yes. For citizens.

Am I really arguing the Conservative position on immigration to C-D Conservatives? Shocking!
The constitution is citizen neutral except where it isn't. Non citizens enjoy constitutional protections. Once these immigrants touch down upon America they could renege on any deal. What the USA could do is to offer inducements for immigrants to settle in Detroit but they can't force them to as a condition of immigration.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The constitution is citizen nuetral except where it isn't. Non citizens enjoy constitutional protections. Once these immigrants touch down upon America they could renege on any deal. What the USA could do is to offer inducements for immigrants to settle in Detroit but they can't force them to as a condition of immigration.
Yes they can -- the same way they can force someone to leave the country as a condition of immigration.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Asians have never ever aligned themselves with the black community in terms of being part of the American non-white minority. My parents never felt that way and not my grandparents either. But then again, for decades with African Americans, all I've ever heard them gripe and celebrate about was the black experience (slaver roots, blues, Motown, soul and rap music). And all that Affirmative Action crap helped them and not the Asians. If anything, having to declare being Asian just meant possibly being denied acceptance into the top colleges and universities because were too many Asians having the top test scores and grades.
That's because Asians are taught to study and work hard, no in fact it is required and family is number 1. Asians are go getters not takers.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So one person is representative of the entire neighborhood or community?
Really?
I remember this report - it happened almost two years ago. The woman was, maybe still is, mentally disturbed based on interviews from the neighbors and her behavior towards the city.
Absolutely fascinating that you would attempt to use this to prove some wide-spread racism in this neighborhood when the neighbors quoted in your link said this woman was a aberration.

As for the OP, as others who live in NYC have noted, cultural segregation is, and has long been, self-enforced.
It was that way when I was a kid and unless someone is actively being prevented from living where they want to live, not sure why it is supposed to be an issue.
93% of blacks voted for Obama and feels they represent the black community. I hope not, I hope the black community can do better. And there is good ole bow tie Al Sharpton. If these clowns represent the black community what do you expect us to think of the rest.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332
I don't believe this. Many blacks would love to live in Soho and West Village. The issue is really the money. A studio "closet" size apartment will run 2500+/month in those areas.

More black people would have the freedom to live wherever they wanted if they had the capital. The key to generating income is financial literacy & entrepreneurship.
Citygirl I agree. The key to generating a good income is entrepreneurship which takes a good idea (service or product) and doesn't even take a college education or big bucks to start. The second part is financial literacy. That's why I can't understand why Obama hates small businesses and is hurting them. It's something the everyday people can do. Financial literacy is also important but of course government schools don't teach it. What's that tell you? They want to keep people under and if they do manage to crawl out they will try to crush you with taxes. At least that is what Obama is doing.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Yep. It's going to mean a radical shift in the makeup of the Democratic Party too. Hispanics are gonna want all that loot for themselves.

Yep, plus what on the Democrat ticket do Latinos actually embrace aside from Immigration Reform? The Progressives hate religion, especially the Catholic Church. Latinos love religion, Dios y Jesus Christo. The religious mockery will backfire once the Latinos get documented. Pro-Life? Latinos by and large are not in favor of abortion (again, they're Catholic). Gay Marriage? Latinos are also not culturally aligned with the Gay Marriage movement. Latinos are also famous for their entrepreneurial spirit & dislike of the taxman. I really don't see Latinos voting Democrat 20 years from now.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Yep, plus what on the Democrat ticket do Latinos actually embrace aside from Immigration Reform? The Progressives hate religion, especially the Catholic Church. Latinos love religion, Dios y Jesus Christo. The religious mockery will backfire once the Latinos get documented. Pro-Life? Latinos by and large are not in favor of abortion (again, they're Catholic). Gay Marriage? Latinos are also not culturally aligned with the Gay Marriage movement. Latinos are also famous for their entrepreneurial spirit & dislike of the taxman. I really don't see Latinos voting Democrat 20 years from now.
Same-sex unions are recognized in almost all of South America.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Nonsense

Seems like wishful thinking by clueless conservatives. The reality is the CONSERVATIVES are being pushed out and on the run. It's difficult for you Pubs to go through life pretending as if there aren't an extraordinary high number of talented, exceptional, educated, and successful black people in this country who are thriving in spite of your continued efforts to force the opposite effect.

The alternative that you represent, segregation by race and/or class, is the one of the reasons why your party is now in a free fall.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Indeed. I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies