Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
why does it matter. because blacks are going to continue to live in their ****hole ghettos for years to come.
I'm black and I don't live in a ****hole ghetto, and guess what my black neighbors don't either. And you know what? There are millions of black folk that are probably better off than you! You know the US is funny like that. For everyone you look down on there are people that look down on you as well... Wealth doesn't define everyone...

Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I do agree that there is definitely intermixing, however, the OP was really discussing the plight of black Americans (not recent black immigrants).
I just re-read the OP's post and title and there was no effort to highlight any specific black subgroups.

Black Caribbeans and African Americans are largely pretty intermixed so it would be nearly impossible to study the achievement gaps btwn the groups.

You'd be surprised at how black ppl who have zero hint of Caribbean accents/traits whom have a Caribbean parent or grandparent in this region.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I just re-read the OP's post and title and there was no effort to highlight any specific black subgroups.

Black Caribbeans and African Americans are largely pretty intermixed so it would be nearly impossible to study the achievement gaps btwn the groups.

You'd be surprised at how black ppl who have zero hint of Caribbean accents/traits whom have a Caribbean parent or grandparent in this region.
Did you read the Pew Research Study? Anyhow I do see your point. But how many Caribs actually view themselves as black American? I think most view themselves as Carib American or Jamaican American, Trinidadian American, Haitian American..etc.. etc.. etc

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm black and I don't live in a ****hole ghetto, and guess what my black neighbors don't either. And you know what? There are millions of black folk that are probably better off than you! You know the US is funny like that. For everyone you look down on there are people that look down on you as well... Wealth doesn't define everyone...
Just ignore him/her/it.. That was just their cheap attempt for attention since obviously nobody's giving it to them in real life.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Did you read the Pew Research Study? Anyhow I do see your point. But how many Caribs actually view themselves as black American. I think most view themselves as Carib American or Jamaican American, Trinidadian American, Haitian American..etc.. etc.. etc
I read the study.

The author of the article did switch between the terms "black" and "african american" but he didn't make it clear whether he was singling out Caribbeans or singling out "Native" African Americans.

Oftentimes, "African American" is used as a general politically correct term for anyone black in professional or academic contexts and settings.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's a silly idea because if the immigrants wanted to move to Detroit they would do so already. It's also unconstitutional you can't force people to live somewhere in order to live in the USA.
It's not a silly idea. If someone wants to come to America, America has every right to say where they can live.

And I'm not arguing that it's not, but where in the constitution does it say where immigrants can live?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's not a silly idea. If someone wants to come to America, America has every right to say where they can live.

And I'm not arguing that it's not, but where in the constitution does it say where immigrants can live?
We have a constitutional right to travel, though I am unsure if this technically includes settle as well.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Is this a problem? For different demographics/constituencies to be duly represented in government?
That depends. Should people in prison be able to send a rep too. After all, they both broke the law.

Quote:
Can you provide some evidence that "liberals are now suggesting bringing in illegals to save Detroit?"
Griffis, you better stop listening to liberal media, they are obviously keeping you in the dark.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Oh well...blacks had their chance to speak at the polls...they're going to get exactly what they deserve.
yea, they sent their best too.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We have a constitutional right to travel, though I am unsure if this technically includes settle as well.
This is absolutely correct.

The Comity Clause, Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1, prevents a state from treating citizens of the other Several states in a discriminatory manner. From that, the right of interstate movement is directly inferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies