Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You righties were whining about Muslim immigrants taking over Detroit a few years ago.

Talking on both sides of your mouth is the right wing pastime.
Islamic culture is the most right wing culture on the planet, strictly speaking. American conservatives are actually working to preserve a measure of social liberalism when they speak out against encroaching Islam.

Being wholly uninformed about anything other than superficial headline politics seems to be the left wing pastime. I'd be impressed if you could cogently and accurately define liberalism and conservatism, respectively. It's beyond ironic when American liberals ignorantly defend a fascist ideology from comparatively moderate American conservatives. Your willingness to display such ideological ignorance and farcical contradiction of understanding is certainly embarrassing for you, albeit unknowingly. Please purchase an education and report back when you can more adroitly discuss the issue at hand.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I believe that a lot of Asians, moreso than Hispanics, think that it is a status symbol to live in a white, hip neighborhood.
No. Asians prefer white neighborhoods for the better schools for their children and a safer environment without street gangs. My parents wanted to make sure that we did well in grade school and were able to get into good colleges. They didn't want us picking up ghetto slang and mannerisms. It was not about status symbols. But speaking of status symbols, it seems to me that blacks are all about that with their love for buying and showing off unnecessary bling... whether it's flashy jewelry, the latest iPhone or shiny black Escalade with big chrome rims.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Wanted to point out that the bold is completely untrue. I work in the housing industry for an organization backed by HUD. Even your article states that this new initiative is basically a technological tool for states to view the economic and racial make up of communities. It is not a plan to push anyone to integrate or tell people where they should live, which is what I have seen so many commenters try to say that it is.

This tool is based upon resources that many states already use such as GIS mapping. It is currently used as an aid for development and re-development of urban areas. Unfortunately, many rural and smaller cities do not have this technology available to them and HUD is proposing to have it available to all states so that they can use them as they see fit to redevelop sites, especially those owned by housing authorities. There is a trend to get rid of public housing as we know it (basically demolishing the projects) and to make multi-use, socioeconomically diverse redevelopments. That is what the HUD proposal is about. It has nothing to do with forced integration.

Isn't that relevant only to "protected classes" and not to unprotected and disadvantaged classes, such as childless low-income burger flippers?

HUD has been fighting Westchester (starting with Yonkers in the 1970s) for decades to get non-white families with children into upscale communities, but HUD has never cared one bit about childless low-income burger flippers.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Asians prefer white neighborhoods for the better schools for their children and a safer environment without street gangs. My parents wanted to make sure that we did well in grade school and were able to get into good colleges. They didn't want us picking up ghetto slang and mannerisms. It was not about status symbols. But speaking of status symbols, it seems to me that blacks are all about that with their love for buying and showing off unnecessary bling... whether it's flashy jewelry, the latest iPhone or shiny black Escalade with big chrome rims.
True true. Indeed, and the neurotic obsession with sneakers and labels on clothing.

Rather than some folks concentrating on investing in a home in a diverse neighborhood, some folks spend $300 per kid on the latest Air XYZ shoe.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm black and I don't live in a ****hole ghetto, and guess what my black neighbors don't either. And you know what? There are millions of black folk that are probably better off than you! You know the US is funny like that. For everyone you look down on there are people that look down on you as well... Wealth doesn't define everyone...
You are correct, "wealth does not define everyone" (sic). "Looking down" on someone purely due to financial status is a lower class trap and cultural misconception. Class in this country is primarily defined by culture, although most often you will find higher class values with higher class income. The point is that people who make it financially without adopting traditional higher class cultural values are still lower class, by the social standards of the upper-middle and upper class. All race identity aside, many people with money are appropriately looked down upon by people with less and "new money" can feel a socially inappropriate entitlement to look down upon those with less. Class is cultural first and financial a distant second.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Isn't that relevant only to "protected classes" and not to unprotected and disadvantaged classes, such as childless low-income burger flippers?

HUD has been fighting Westchester (starting with Yonkers in the 1970s) for decades to get non-white families with children into upscale communities, but HUD has never cared one bit about childless low-income burger flippers.
I don't understand how my explaining GIS systems is relevant to your comments.

And FYI and others, HUD is not directly involved with local communities, they oversee housing authorities, who are the ones doing the redevelopment and who make local housing initiatives happen.

In regard to your second paragraph, I highly doubt that HUD itself has been trying to push non-white people into Westchester. HUD is not concerned with non-white families or childless low-income burger flippers unless they reside in public housing or having section 8, then they are only concerned with said people complying with leases and such and that landlords are not discriminating against tenants or that housing authorities are maintaining livable communities.

In regard to childless people and public housing/Section 8, child-less white and non-white people have access to the public housing system already. If they are low income and under a certain threshold (which is established by the local community,usually a county or city) then they are eligible to live in HUD funded properties or to be on Section 8. The fastest growing demographic for public housing are seniors. Many of them are white and non-white and are low income. There is a trend to demolish family housing projects and replace them with either mixed use public/private partnership apartment complexes or senior housing communities. Most of the development in my local area centers around senior housing. Many agencies are even diminishing the amount of Section 8 vouchers and as is discussed here on CD, the list for Section 8 or public housing in most places has a 2 year or more wait list. This is not always the case for senior communities and the seniors take better care of their communities and usually will stay until they die. Depending on the neighborhood, one usually can find a vacancy. I know in the city of Atlanta proper, they have their seniors apply at each community directly and each community has their own waiting list. Not all of the communities have a waiting list, only specific ones.

Oddly enough, to get back on topic, I find that different ethnicities chose to live in specific areas even in public housing. Many of our black elderly prefer the traditional black neighborhood senior housing complexes. They usually have long waiting list as well as the black seniors know the area, still have friends there, churches, they have more of a comfort level in those areas. There is a growing Asian (specifically Korean) public housing community in Atlanta and most of them chose specific areas as well, a lot in DeKalb County where there was an Asian community (and still is, Asians are the largest growing demographic in metro Atlanta). Many Russians used to live in the Asian communities and so you find a lot of Russians in the same complexes as Koreans. The GIS tool tracks these changes and others based on census data. Many local housing authorities are attempting to take housing to another level and use it as a source of economic prosperity by building business shops within senior housing complexes (like storefronts or having a big name business be an anchor to that community). There is evidence that these sorts of communities do what is intended and make communities more diverse both ethnically and socio-economically as many seniors who do not qualify for public housing can live in the re-developments and get a cheaper rent there while also having amenities that would cost them an arm and a leg out in some private elderly community.

Quote:
I grew up with a lot of Asians (Vietnamese specifically) and they all went to school with me and my black friends and white friends and Mexican friends. You should tell your Asian friends that there is a trend amongst top colleges in the Ivy leagues to take students in the top 5% of their class at their specific schools. I know a lot of people who will send their kids to a school (especially high school) that is not known to be the supreme learning machines and because they outperform everyone else in that school they are set to get a lot of aid to college.

Also, you seem to think that all black neighborhoods are poor. They are not. Just like all back people are not "ghetto" or speak "ghetto slang."

Americans in general love to buy unnecessary things - whether it be bling or organic food or True Religion jeans or the lates Ipad or Iphone. So black people do not have a monopoly on materialism and consumerism. Asians do the same thing too.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Islamic culture is the most right wing culture on the planet, strictly speaking. American conservatives are actually working to preserve a measure of social liberalism when they speak out against encroaching Islam.
I remember the awkward moment when the local Progressives realized the main opponents of their Gay Marriage bill here in the Twin Cities were the Somalis. They felt really betrayed because in their minds all minorities are supposed to get on board with the Progressive agenda.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Wow. You just about proved this guy's point:

"My point is, the Asians who set up businesses in the black Community don’t like black Folks. In fact, some actually hate you. You are their food; their economic slaves. Slaves that have fattened the pockets of generation of Asians while contributing to the economic demise of your own people. Their main objective is to exploit blacks and take our money out of our community."

Asians pimping The Black Community, Especially Black Women. : ThyBlackMan.com

Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wow. You just about proved this guy's point:

"My point is, the Asians who set up businesses in the black Community don’t like black Folks. In fact, some actually hate you. You are their food; their economic slaves. Slaves that have fattened the pockets of generation of Asians while contributing to the economic demise of your own people. Their main objective is to exploit blacks and take our money out of our community."

Asians pimping The Black Community, Especially Black Women. : ThyBlackMan.com
No. That is something completely different. However Asians see that living among ghetto people would be a detriment to their children. Asians see that the ghetto lifestyle is a loser lifestyle.

And about the Asians that set up small businesses in the ghettos.... aka black communities (going by that quote) are because Asians by culture naturally have an entrepreneurial inclination... which apparently the American black community has NONE. Of the Asians who have small businesses in the ghetto communities is NOT because they want to take advantage of black people, it's because rents are so much cheaper in ghetto neighborhoods. Plus Asians do pull more together as families to pool their financial resources and collectively take turns working at their family shop. Those Asian families with the small shops in the ghettos are also working another full time job elsewhere in the city for an added income stream and to get health insurance benefits. Those Asians are WORKING hard, but the ghetto blacks are hardly working and more concerned with getting free government handouts.

And those Asians in their ghetto located shops don't hate their black customers, but most likely just despise their customers' bad lifestyle choices. They also most likely tell their children to NOT grow up to be like their ghetto customers.

Ghetto blacks just don't have their act together. And if they never change their habits, they will ALWAYS be at the bottom level of US society.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM
miu

Quote:
Also, you seem to think that all black neighborhoods are poor. They are not. Just like all back people are not "ghetto" or speak "ghetto slang."
No I do not. However the majority of blacks are poor. The majority of blacks have a ghetto lifestyle. And with the exception of the Atlanta area, most black neighborhoods are poor. Middle class black majority neighborhoods are a rarity and a affluent black majority neighborhood even more rare. Just read through the C-D regional forums. In the Boston area, there is only one affluent black neighborhood and that's in Milton.

Quote:
Americans in general love to buy unnecessary things - whether it be bling or organic food or True Religion jeans or the lates Ipad or Iphone. So black people do not have a monopoly on materialism and consumerism. Asians do the same thing too.
True across the board. But poor blacks have absolutely no money sense. Asians who are poor will work two jobs and are able to save towards a life goal. Poor blacks are not able to and those are the blacks who should not be buying bling or buying fast food. Asians cook more at home, which is much cheaper and also a healthier lifestyle. Poor blacks buy fast food instead and become overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies