Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
^^ 100% correct. Took the words RIGHT OUT MY MOUTH!!

This should be the #endthread post!

In NYC, most blacks stick to their own communities. I grew up near the border of NYC and my parents chose a middle class black suburb despite making an income where they can afford almost any other neighborhood in the entire region. There are many other successful black people in my family and others that we know of; and most of them stick to black areas too.

Even when you look at data, many black communities in and around NYC have above-average median household incomes. My particular black community still has nicely-rated schools and it's been majority black for many decades now.

I love the fact that successful black people in my region usually stay to and respect their communities instead of storming out once they make a pretty penny and letting it crumble. It's very inspiring and enriching to grow up in such an area and I want my future kids to grow up in one too.

I'm not trying to discredit the article but it doesn't paint the whole picture..
that is great and I wish that was the case for more middle to upper middle class black people in major cities. we should operate like immigrants, since we are always being pushed to the edge of society. we need closer communities and to keep our money in those communities.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I remember I used to work with this Black Panamanian man. If somebody referred to him as black or African American, he was adamant about telling them that he was NOT black and that he was "latino". Lol, this dude was darker than I was.
"Hispanics" equate blackness with inferiority. Therefore it's an insult to most of them to call a person black, even if they are dark.

Sammy Sosa is a case in point. I understand that he speaks Spanish and has an accent but at the end of the day, the bulk of his distant lineage (like all black American, Haitian and Carib people throughout the world) is primarily in West Africa.

Many "Hispanics" often speak about their mixed heritage but in reality, the bulk of blacks throughout Latin America aren't really mixed. Anyone who has spent time there, quickly understands that there are different tiers. The first tier is the minority "ruling class" which primarily consist of whites. The next tier are the mestizos, who tend to be light (due to their European ancestry), but also have indigenous (native, Asian and African lineage). Then of course, there's the indigenous largely Indian tier who tend to be largely impoverished; however, there is still some hope for social mobility if the children intermarry or have the opportunity to leave the country. The bottom tier is occupied by blacks. There is little to no socialization with other races at the bottom levels because the bulk of the black people throughout Latin America are dirt poor and do not have the means to even send their children to school. The black children for the most part grow up in the worst slums that are usually hidden and very much isolated from the general population.

Last edited by CityGirl332; 08-11-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I don't believe this. Many blacks would love to live in Soho and West Village. The issue is really the money. A studio "closet" size apartment will run 2500+/month in those areas.

More black people would have the freedom to live wherever they wanted if they had the capital. The key to generating income is financial literacy & entrepreneurship.
Most black people wouldn't be interested in those areas b/c:

1. There is Harlem which is also in Manhattan which provides pretty good convenience while much less expensive. There are also other affordable areas in the outer-boroughs(by NYC standards) that have majority black populations that they could live in and blend in at.

2. Most of the clubs/social events don't have notable black presences in those areas. Most ppl regardless of any race prefer to fit in so what would be the purpose of wasting so much money in that area?

Of course i'm sure there are some here and there that want to live there but most don't have the desire. If they did then you would see black kids from all over the country putting their money together and renting a closet for $3000/mo.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's only true for Queens and the Bronx, aside from those boroughs NYC is the most segregated city in the USA. Detroit might be slightly more segregated.
\
You just said aside from 3.8 million people. Do you know how subjective your comments sound ?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Most black people wouldn't be interested in those areas b/c:

1. There is Harlem which is also in Manhattan which provides pretty good convenience while much less expensive. There are also other affordable areas in the outer-boroughs(by NYC standards) that have majority black populations that they could live in and blend in at.

2. Most of the clubs/social events don't have notable black presences in those areas. Most ppl regardless of any race prefer to fit in so what would be the purpose of wasting so much money in that area?

Of course i'm sure there are some here and there that want to live there but most don't have the desire. If they did then you would see black kids from all over the country putting their money together and renting a closet for $3000/mo.
Exactly.

Not only that, but if what Citygirl were saying were true....then the black neighborhoods would mimic the commercial interests of those in white neighborhoods.In other words, if black people wanted to live in the West Village enmasse, then Brownsville (for example) would look like the West Village commercially. The stores would look the same, the people would dress the same and their social clubs would be the same...but they aren't.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word is that Black Hispanics like Dominicans and many Puerto Ricans don't even like regular American Black people and WILL try to pass themselves off as "white", even the dark skin ones.
So you are basing your entire analysis of 90 million people( blacks and Hipanics) on "word is" ? HA HA HA HA HA

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Here it is the same: whites, Asians and Hispanics tend to live together and form communities. If you add blacks, people complain. I'm not saying that's right, but it is just something I have noticed -and guess what? It isn't the white people doing the complaining.
"Hispanic" is a very broad term since a Hispanic can be white, Asian/Indian, black or mixed. You do realize that there are a number of black Hispanics, who are actually darker than many African Americans.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Wrong.

Black people with the exception of a few have no interest in the area, or mixing it up with the gentrified whites. Blacks generally aren't drawn to over priced coffee houses, expensive small sandwich shops and boutique "used" clothing and furniture stores.

It is what it is.

Crushing to your ego right?

I know, it's pretty shocking to some of you.
I'm not white and I'm stating that blacks and other minorities are largely priced out of NYC. If what you are saying is true, rich blacks and upper middle class blacks would choose to live in Jamaica Queens, Bed Stuy, and other mostly non white communities, but this is not the case.

NYC is a classic case of the haves vs. the have nots. In NYC, many blacks are either unemployed or underemployed. Black middle class families have largely left the city and relocated to the suburbs or headed to the South where there is ample land and less crime. The bulk of poor/lower income people who reside in NYC are able to do so because of government housing and food vouchers.

Last edited by CityGirl332; 08-11-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
I'm not white and I'm stating that blacks and other minorities are largely priced out of NYC. If what you are saying is true, rich blacks and upper middle class blacks would choose to live in Jamaica Queens, Bed Stuy, and other mostly non white communities, but this is the not the case.

NYC is a classic case of the haves vs. the have nots. In NYC, many blacks are either unemployed or underemployed. Black middle class families have largely left the city and relocated to the suburbs or headed to the South where there is ample land and less crime. The bulk of poor/lower income people who reside in NYC are able to do so because of government housing and food vouchers.
I agree that a majority of blacks in NYC are "havenots" but there are still some areas in the city that still have a strong black middle class and black upper middle class.

Many that are still within the city live in Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Rosedale, Addisleigh Park-which is straight up rich, Hollis, Canarsie in Brooklyn and parts of the Northeast Bronx. All these areas are reasonably well-off areas by NYC standards that are over 80% black.

You can look these up if you don't believe me.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
I'm not white and I'm stating that blacks and other minorities are largely priced out of NYC. If what you are saying is true, rich blacks and upper middle class blacks would choose to live in Jamaica Queens, Bed Stuy, and other mostly non white communities, but this is the not the case.

Most "rich blacks" live in black neighborhoods...not white ones.

Blacks in Queens for example out earn the average white, yet they still live in largely black areas such as Jamaica Estates and Rosedale.

if they wanted to integrate into white areas, they would have relocated into Astoria, Sunnyside, and Woodside which are all white areas for the most part, but that never happened.

The reason why?

They aren't interested.

Hard to believe?

Mind blowing isn't it.

Money will always play a part in who is located where, however in my example above, blacks are clearly exercising their desire to remain in their own neighborhoods, despite having other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies