Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier can see a scenario where a defense attorney impeaches the competency of the interpreter so as to have grounds for a later appeal.
A relative who is in fact a Spanish Linguist was a senior prosecutor in Milwaukee. He believed the interpreters were a major problem. The interpreters were mainly Cuban and good at high Spanish. But they really could not do many Mexican or Puerto Rican dialects. They would sometimes completely mistranslate the statement made. He would try to put up with it but if it got too bad He would get a recess and get the Judge to replace the translator.

The rub here however it is pretty rare for anyone in the court room to be a linguist and able to get the matter attended to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't you have to be a citizen to serve on a jury? How can a citizen not speak English? So much for the claims that Hispanics are assimilating linguistically into our country.
Please. I doubt a govt official would ever deny citizenship because someone can't speak English. The liberal press would have a fit.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Don't you have to be a citizen to serve on a jury? How can a citizen not speak English? So much for the claims that Hispanics are assimilating linguistically into our country.
You've even suggested the scenario yourself: Illegal alien parents take young child with them when they leave the country. Child later returns to the United States, without having gone through a U.S. school system.

There's other ways as well, but the point is that the law of New Mexico allows a U.S. citizen juror that speaks only Spanish...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Still waiting to see if OldGlory is going to actually help the immigrants by teaching them English, no word as of yet.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Oh for ****'s sake. Millions of born and bred citizens here don't speak English, case in point Puerto Rico, Mr. Hispanophobe. New Mexico is also another place, which has been heavily Hispanic since it was the New Mexico territory and before that

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
47% of the people in New Mexico are Hispanic. (2012 census)
They are at a tipping point.
And we all know the majority get to make the rules.
Wow, you know at some point, New Mexico used to be close to 100% Hispanic Who cares??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Then why isn't English the required language in the courts right now?
Because in New Mexico, Spanish has special status. It's had it for the past 100 years, not 10, not 20.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Linguistic assimilation tends to take a few generations.

My husband's parents (Ukrainian) became citizens and never spoke or read a word of English.

English is my husband's primary language.

Our children speak only English.

Their children will likely be fluent in Spanish and English.
I guess you don't know that in order to become a naturalized citizen you have to know and understand English. Only the elderly are exempt from that. Why in the world would it take several generations to learn a language?

My wife's grandparents came over here from Poland. Their kids learned and spoke perfect English. You were sayin?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Still waiting to see if OldGlory is going to actually help the immigrants by teaching them English, no word as of yet.
3% of Louisiana residents speak French in the home. There's also public funding of French immersion programs in certain Louisiana school districts. Where's the outrage over that? Oh yeah, because Jean-Pierre is a whitey, while José is probably a dirty Mexican illegal or anchor baby

Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A convicted murderer appealed his sentence because a Spanish-only speaking prospect juror was dismissed from jury duty. He lost the appeal but the NM Supreme Court ruled that lack of English is not a reason to exclude jurors, it violates their constitutional rights, and they must be accommodated with translators.

New Mexico ruling: Non-English speakers can be jurors - El Paso Times
This country is going to Hell in a hand basket much faster than I had previously imagined.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This country is going to Hell in a hand basket much faster than I had previously imagined.
Why? Because Spanish has special legal status in New Mexico since WWI, before any single one of us were born? Been 100 years, still don't see the country going to hell in a hand basket.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
I guess you don't know that in order to become a naturalized citizen you have to know and understand English. Only the elderly are exempt from that. Why in the world would it take several generations to learn a language?

My wife's grandparents came over here from Poland. Their kids learned and spoke perfect English. You were sayin?
God, well I hope you woudn't treat her grandparents the way you rant and rave on here about hispanics. In fact, I know you probably wouldn't which says something. Anyways, I know you saw my post about teaching immigrants English, Oldglory(yes I even got your name right this time). So you up for it or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
3% of Louisiana residents speak French in the home. There's also public funding of French immersion programs in certain Louisiana school districts. Where's the outrage over that? Oh yeah, because Jean-Pierre is a whitey, while José is probably a dirty Mexican illegal or anchor baby
Actually I thought it was kinda cool that Spanish was spoken in New Mexico and French was spoken in Louisiana, but I get the feeling that you are probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies