Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If anything, being naturalized within the last fifty years is more stringent than it was before...
No -- they've even dropped the requirement to have made some effort to speak this country's language.

There is no requirement for the immigrant today to be capable of assimilating. Everything is being offered to them in their own country's language -- even food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sounds like a hit a nerve with somebody

If that's what you took home from it, then by all means go ahead. Pretty much everybody to the left of me, politically, knows what I mean by conservatives take being dumb and monolingual as a virtue. I know, lots of liberals have made the same point as well.

So? Good for you. I know some German as well thanks to half of my family being German citizens and taking up Japanese, but not to please you or to feel superior to others. It's for self enrichment.
That is so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yeah right -- if Mexicans knew English, there wouldn't be the big push to force Americans to learn Spanish to accomodate them as they pour over the southern border.
Umm when was the last time that you were in Mexico? the ones that are coming over here are typically not educated and after a certain point in schooling, they do have to pay money unlike people in the U.S.

Quote:
Again - check the topic of this thread -- and if immigrants from Mexico could learn English then why the Spanish speaking jurors? They aren't even learning English after they come to this land of plenty -- they didn't know it before arriving either.
Deflection...

Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Again - check the topic of this thread -- and if immigrants from Mexico could learn English then why the Spanish speaking jurors? They aren't even learning English after they come to this land of plenty -- they didn't know it before arriving either.
You're laying it on thick tonight. My wife had a good grasp of English before she immigrated from Mexico, as did her parents. Her oldest daughter had two years of mandatory English in school before coming here, and mainstreamed into High School without ESL classes. In five years, I've been amazed to see firsthand how an immigrant family has adapted to English and life in the United States.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
So you aren't understanding that Mexico primarily teaches English as a second language, including that it is often mandatory within their school system?...
This makes no sense.

They can't speak or understand a lick of English when they get here (legally or illegally). That tells me either A) There must not be much effort put forth in those classes by the students or B) The teacher probably passes them on through without a care in the world. or C) Both

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM

So much for assimilation.......

Univision Ranked As The Number 1 Broadcast Network Among Adults 18-34 in Week 46 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

For the week (M-SU), Univision ranked as the #1 broadcast network among Adults 18-34 and #2 among Adults 18-49, out-delivering ABC, FOX, and NBC in both demographics. This marks the 11th consecutive week where Univision has ranked #3 or higher among both demographics.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Well -- yes the channel with the Bob and Tom show and the Alice Cooper show is broadcast from Juarez -- big deal, most radio stations on this side of the border are in all Spanish. You Tube videos in Spanish obviously.

Again -- they wouldn't be forcing Americans to learn Spanish to accomodate the massive numbers pouring over the borders if they immigrants were willing to learn any English. Even welfare office employees are required to speak Spanish so the immigrants don't have to be inconvenienced in any way.
You're double-posting responses again, I can tell when you are get hurried to switch the topic to the message you want to put out. Everything you say is countered by my personal experiences. What is the notion that you want to have in people's heads, and why?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
You're laying it on thick tonight. My wife had a good grasp of English before she immigrated from Mexico, as did her parents. Her oldest daughter had two years of mandatory English in school before coming here, and mainstreamed into High School without ESL classes. In five years, I've been amazed to see firsthand how an immigrant family has adapted to English and life in the United States.
Your wife isn't all immigrants --- she might have a higher IQ, or more ability to learn and adapt but a very large number of immigrants and their children are not learning English --- or why else do they now have to accept Spanish speaking jurors? And even use tax dollars to provide translators?

Again -- this has nothing to do with native New Mexicans or those people living here when New Mexico became part of the USA --- THOSE people have learned English -- all of them, except for may a tiny handful of very elderly who were from very isolated rural areas.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
You're double-posting responses again, I can tell when you are get hurried to switch the topic to the message you want to put out. Everything you say is countered by my personal experiences. What is the notion that you want to have in people's heads, and why?
You have one personal experience -- your wife.

I just gave a link on how the Spanish language channel has now surpassed the English ones. There is very little assimilation taking place.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This makes no sense.

They can't speak or understand a lick of English when they get here (legally or illegally). That tells me either A) There must not be much effort put forth in those classes by the students or B) The teacher probably passes them on through without a care in the world. or C) Both
And of couse that belief is supposed to negate my firsthand experience with a wife and stepchildren that have immigrated from Mexico?...

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
You have one personal experience -- your wife.

I just gave a link on how the Spanish language channel has now surpassed the English ones. There is very little assimilation taking place.
So what? Are foreigners not allowed to watch TV programs from their home country anymore? Japanese immigrants are not allowed to watch TV Japan or the NHK? Chinese immigrants are not allowed to watch CCTV? Everybody should be forced to watch TV that they are unfamiliar with and probably won't like? Should the only foreign channels to be aired here be the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and BBC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies