Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I disagree. I think in fact the whole Gay thing had a moral/belief in religion component that made it stronger.

The whole gun nut thing has none of those advantages other than paranoia.

There will be more gun laws passed. It is inevitable.

I have seen the studies and they are consistent fewer and fewer households own guns. This reallity will eventually seal the fate of the gun nut lobby in this nation.
Paranoia? that is it? so their are not victims of random crime? or millions of the last 120 years that were the victims of democide?

Their will be no more laws passed, at best the courts will strike them down, at worst, well look what happens the last time a tyrant sent his army to disarm the people of America.

How old are those studies? ever notice not many of them made in the last 5 to 7 years? and they are always from the Brady campaign? Firearm ownership and self defense are the foundation of this nation, and part of the everyday culture, more and more Americans are waking up and taking their nation back from the statist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Most of the people owning multiple guns are not "gun nuts", you just are not diverse and liberal enough in your thinking or experience to understand why a person might own a variety of guns for a variety of uses including from home defense, target shooting and the biggie would be hunters as you use vastly different wheapons for different types of animals.

2. I'm guessing you live in an urban area. If you think the tide is changing, I would ask you to consider why the democrats abandoned gun control talk so fast. Hint: Go look at what states have retiring democratic senators and are up for grabs 2014. Yep, a lot of heavily rural states like South Dakota. Do you remember what happened to Daschle? The US Senate isn't going to go against guns anytime soon when hunting and shooting are predominantly rural activities and shooting other people in the head is predominantly an urban problem. All those rural states with 2 senators each.....I'm as concerned about serious national gun control right behind getting caught in a unicorn stampede.

P.S. I own no guns but I've grown up around them and I've lived in rural AND urban settings. Expand your horizons, be more liberal in your thinking.
I didn't say anything about most gun owners or even those that own multiple guns.
Gun nuts are gun nuts, and are not normal gun owners,
I don't care why people own guns. I have never wondered about that ever. It is irrelevant to me.

I live in a suburb. I think the tide is turning in favor of new gun laws. I think eventually there will be new gun laws.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What are diversion programs? Midnight basketball and rec centers? The community has simply collapsed as a functioning entity. Until the words of Bill Cosby & Don Lemon become the dominant ethos in these neighborhoods and are put into practice nothing will change much. I think you blamed much of this on poverty & lack of opportunity but who is going to invest private capital in a lawless place with little civility? Who is going to invest private capital or hire those who can't read and have a poor work ethic?
This is garbage crime is much lower even in the highest crime communities.

You need to educate yourself and stop spouting nonsense.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about most gun owners or even those that own multiple guns.
I don't care why people own guns. I have never wondered about that ever. It is irrelevant to me.

I live in a suburb. I think the tide is turning in favor of new gun laws. I think eventually there will be new gun laws.
I have to hear this, What is a gun nut, give us you definition.

Why should we have our rights limited? it does not make us safer, it does noting but give criminals and the government a monopoly on force and violence.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM

[quote=middle-aged mom;30990643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA. Glad to see that others also know that there are other cities with much higher murder rates than Chicago.

But the history of segregation in Chicago and the uncaring attitude as is portrayed below is the reason why shootings and murders are allowed to happen, mostly in only a couple of neighborhoods. There is no reason other than them not caring about black murder victims. If the city cared, they would go into those neighborhoods and surrounding ones and stop the violence with pinpoint precision.[/quote]

Segregation exists, everywhere.

Money is the great equalizer.

No one said "there goes the neighborhood" back when Walter Payton built his mansion in a lily white suburb. No white flight occurred. No one burned crosses on Michael Jordan's front lawn when he did the same, years later.

Gangs are an entirely different ball of wax and most definitely not limited to blacks or Chicago. Gang on gang violence is a way of life. Gang infested communities accept this way of life and tend to protect shooters. It's always someone's kid or nephew or brother, baby daddy or friend or connection. Fear of retaliation is a factor. Even offering financial awards for information leading to .... does not compel most to talk.

Gangs splinter every day. Gang members increasing will not abide by their gang's code. These are kids, not marksmen. They miss their target and take out an innocent. They have zero coping skills and no hope. They accept they will likely not live to turn 21. They have nothing to lose.

I am unaware of any police force, anywhere that has been successful in eliminating violence with pinpoint precision.

Money is not the great equalizer. Go look at stats, black Americans with higher incomes live in much poorer communities on average than white Americans with the same incomes. That is the result of racial segregation.
Also, the vast majority of people in higher crime neighborhoods are not criminals and even fewer are violent.

So the idea that black people in general are rejected in certain neighborhoods because of criminal behavior and that explains residential segregation is complete nonsense.

Gang violence is not a way of life and the "neigbhborhood" does not protect violent criminals, you have been watching too many fictional tv shows.

Also are you an expert on gang members?

Most gang members are loosely affliliated. There is a core of hard core members thats not most members.

The largest group of people lobbying for more police in higher crime neighborhoods are the residents of those neighborhoods. They don't want police there to play hop scotch they want those cops there to arrest people.

In terms of eliminating violence, violence is dropping in this nation even in those neighborhoods. I am always surprised at discussions about violence that are so filled with despair fail to acknowledge that violence has come way down to rates that no one thought possible in the 1990's

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:

How would you personally define a "gun nut" as opposed to regular gun owners?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The only nations that have put a dent in drug trafficking and addiction are those who have taken the hardest line and impose serious consequences. They don't spend their money funding other nations to destroy crops. They don't spend their money on prisons. They don't spend their money on rehabs. They impose consequences and make drugs non negotiable.
Which nations are you talking about? Here in the USA you go to jail for 10 years for selling an 1/8 of an ounce of cocaine, how much stricter could they possibly get? Portugal is an example where they greatly lightened drug enforcement and things statistically got better.

Legalize drugs, make drug addiction an issue between a person and his doctor, not between him and the government.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city
August 14, 2013 7:44 PM
By Danielle Nottingham

(CBS News) CHICAGO -- The Leak and Sons funeral home has been on Chicago's South Side for 80 years. Spencer Leak Sr. arranges 2,000 funerals a year. More and more, they are for shooting victims.

Leak says he's arranged about 45 gun-violence-related funerals so far this year.

That's about the number of murders last year in Seattle and Tampa, combined.

"A significant portion of my day is spent trying to counsel with mothers who have lost sons through gun violence," Leak says. "I saw three mothers over the weekend. I'm waiting to see a mother today, possibly another."

"My heart goes out to her, because I know what's happening to her ... I just can't turn her down or away," he says.

Leak says the hardest part of his job is "the age of the young people."

"The fact that they are victims of just rage, rampant violence, not necessarily directed toward them," he says.
One was Jonylah Watkins. She was hit by a bullet meant for her father.

"I buried this little baby -- six months old -- the most beautiful baby you would ever see," Leak says. "A baby girl killed in her father's lap. That just goes all through me -- it makes my stomach turn to have to do that. I'm angry, I'm sad."

"I just worry about my grandchildren having to live in a city that's so divided that we're destroying ourselves," he says.

Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city - CBS News
It isn't gun owners but black people.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Paranoia? that is it? so their are not victims of random crime? or millions of the last 120 years that were the victims of democide?

Their will be no more laws passed, at best the courts will strike them down, at worst, well look what happens the last time a tyrant sent his army to disarm the people of America.

How old are those studies? ever notice not many of them made in the last 5 to 7 years? and they are always from the Brady campaign? Firearm ownership and self defense are the foundation of this nation, and part of the everyday culture, more and more Americans are waking up and taking their nation back from the statist.
Yes paranoia is the fuel of gun nuts.
I disagree. I think eventually there will be more gun laws passed. It is inevitable.

The surveys show a long term trend toward fewer and fewer households owning guns. Those surveys are done every year.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city
August 14, 2013 7:44 PM
By Danielle Nottingham

(CBS News) CHICAGO -- The Leak and Sons funeral home has been on Chicago's South Side for 80 years. Spencer Leak Sr. arranges 2,000 funerals a year. More and more, they are for shooting victims.

Leak says he's arranged about 45 gun-violence-related funerals so far this year.

That's about the number of murders last year in Seattle and Tampa, combined.

"A significant portion of my day is spent trying to counsel with mothers who have lost sons through gun violence," Leak says. "I saw three mothers over the weekend. I'm waiting to see a mother today, possibly another."

"My heart goes out to her, because I know what's happening to her ... I just can't turn her down or away," he says.

Leak says the hardest part of his job is "the age of the young people."

"The fact that they are victims of just rage, rampant violence, not necessarily directed toward them," he says.
One was Jonylah Watkins. She was hit by a bullet meant for her father.

"I buried this little baby -- six months old -- the most beautiful baby you would ever see," Leak says. "A baby girl killed in her father's lap. That just goes all through me -- it makes my stomach turn to have to do that. I'm angry, I'm sad."

"I just worry about my grandchildren having to live in a city that's so divided that we're destroying ourselves," he says.

Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city - CBS News
You can figure out the problem for yourself....They deal in a high-crime area. Chicago is a big city with lots of gang violence. If they weren't using guns, they would be using something else.

Leak & Sons Funeral Homes - Chicago, Illinois - 773-846-6567 and Country Club Hills, Illinois - 708-206-0860

20yrsinbranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies