Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If someone wants to rob you, they aren't going to care that you are armed, but they might be quicker to pull the trigger to be safe. But if a gang member shoots at another gang member and misses, that stray bullet doesn't care what kind of gun you have on you if it hits you.
Actually they do. I queued up the video to the point where hardened criminals in prison are speaking about robbing gun owners (I'm sure both lawful and unlawful). Either way, it makes them think. To get the full context, watch the 5 minute video in its entirety.

Gun Myths - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The city isn't being destroyed.

Lincoln Park, the gold coast etc. have a murder rate of about 1 per 100,000 which is lower than Canada.

Other parts of Chicago have a rate 40x higher.

You know why?

It's because the vast vast majority of murder victims are black male gang members and it's cheaper to let them kill each other off and tighly police the good areas than to invest in diversion programs etc. THEY DON'T CARE.

The city gets away with this policy because:
1) They blame guns to divert public anger.
2) Their political affilation makes them immune to charges of racism and complaints by black leaders are muted because if they make too big of a fuss they get in trouble and can lose their seat at the table.
What are diversion programs? Midnight basketball and rec centers? The community has simply collapsed as a functioning entity. Until the words of Bill Cosby & Don Lemon become the dominant ethos in these neighborhoods and are put into practice nothing will change much. I think you blamed much of this on poverty & lack of opportunity but who is going to invest private capital in a lawless place with little civility? Who is going to invest private capital or hire those who can't read and have a poor work ethic?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What are diversion programs? Midnight basketball and rec centers? The community has simply collapsed as a functioning entity. Until the words of Bill Cosby & Don Lemon become the dominant ethos in these neighborhoods and are put into practice nothing will change much. I think you blamed much of this on poverty & lack of opportunity but who is going to invest private capital in a lawless place with little civility? Who is going to invest private capital or hire those who can't read and have a poor work ethic?
The western suburb of Aurora, IL has launched a successful array of programs aimed at reducing the gangs. It includes going to peoples homes when gangs are trying to recruit their kids, after school programs...crack downs on gang leadership....and more.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess you should go to those communities and tell the kids they're sh*t out of luck.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
The biggest single thing that could be done to drastically decrease the violence would be to End the Drug war.

But who's gonna win out? Big Pharma, Private Prisons, and Law Enforcement... or Poor People?

Money corrupts.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If someone wants to rob you, they aren't going to care that you are armed
Amazing the kind of falsehoods you can tell when your agenda is unsupportable. Here we have yet another such.

Does your hysteria ever end?

Quote:
but they might be quicker to pull the trigger to be safe.
Having the cops chasing you for Murder 1 is hardly "safe".... and the crooks know it even if you don't.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The bible says to abide by the law , but if it goes against the will of God one can stand up for their belief in God.

One must use the common sense God gave us to decipher the word of God.
Sorry, but I have a hard time abiding by an unjust and immoral law that criminalizes American people for consuming a plant! I'm pretty sure that God would agree with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
God gave us marijuana, so I say accept it, it would be rude.

Indeed He did.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The city isn't being destroyed.

Lincoln Park, the gold coast etc. have a murder rate of about 1 per 100,000 which is lower than Canada.

Other parts of Chicago have a rate 40x higher.

You know why?

It's because the vast vast majority of murder victims are black male gang members and it's cheaper to let them kill each other off and tighly police the good areas than to invest in diversion programs etc. THEY DON'T CARE.

The city gets away with this policy because:
1) They blame guns to divert public anger.
2) Their political affilation makes them immune to charges of racism and complaints by black leaders are muted because if they make too big of a fuss they get in trouble and can lose their seat at the table.
ITA. Glad to see that others also know that there are other cities with much higher murder rates than Chicago.

But the history of segregation in Chicago and the uncaring attitude as is portrayed below is the reason why shootings and murders are allowed to happen, mostly in only a couple of neighborhoods. There is no reason other than them not caring about black murder victims. If the city cared, they would go into those neighborhoods and surrounding ones and stop the violence with pinpoint precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them, or for their mothers for that matter. Living in Chicago with children should be considered child abuse. They should have made better choices and given their children better lives. I'd wager most of them are waiting for the government to do that for them, though.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
If you can't or won't understand the reality here on the streets of Chicago, namely that guns are ridiculously easy to get here and most of the people who die by guns already have guns themselves, I'd suggest you stop hijacking these threads with your political talking points.

I feel for the innocent people who die, but can someone explain how easy access to guns is going to save the children who die from crossfire?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Amazing the kind of falsehoods you can tell when your agenda is unsupportable. Here we have yet another such.

Does your hysteria ever end?

Having the cops chasing you for Murder 1 is hardly "safe".... and the crooks know it even if you don't.
I noticed you skipped over the stray bullet part, people being shot in Chicago are either armed or could be armed gang members or innocent people being stuck by stray bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies