Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Every month is white history month? How so? I don't see TV ads about "celebrate white history", I never learned about it in schools either. I always learned about MLK, Malcolm X, and Frederick Douglas along with John Brown, Asbury, and other white civil rights leaders as well.
My point is.. US history is WHITE history. There were NO BLACK FOUNDING FATHERS. ie. when children today are taught about the American Revolution they are being taught about white history. Christopher Columbus discovering America is white history, WWI history is white history, WWII is predominantly white history. Even the Civil WAR is white history, for every Frederick Douglas mentioned in the history books, there are 25 Robert E Lees. ... black personalities did not start to frequently appear in US history until the civil rights movement.

My bigger point is black history month is NOT meant to provoke people but rather to enlighten them.

Last edited by mco65; 08-23-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
End them all then. See, this is where you guys act like such children. "They are doing it, so we can too!"
But the kicker is, when whites try to say that same thing, you race hustlers call them racists.
What are you talking about ??? Im perfectly fine with a German, Italian and Irish Heritage month . I just said that in my first post on this forum.

Do you mean something else, please go into detail because as of right now, your comment makes no sense.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
To the OP: Because White people, unlike Black people, have historically done the discriminating in the U.S.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
What you and other R's do not get is that there is only one month for Black History, all the rest of history you are taught about the US is White History, sooooo, we already get 11 Months of White History, can't you spare even one little month for or fellow man?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM

74 posts, read 60,955 times
Quote:
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
Often times learning one subject requires a prerequisite course. One will never understand certain subject and phenomenon if they are averse to prerequisites. I think it futile to attempt to explain anything to anyone who refuse to do the prerequisite work on their own.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
I'm all for it. Go have your "White History month" and we'll even help you. Since you still run the country, pick whatever month you want and go for it.
March around the town square with your AR15s at the ready and we could have re-enactments of historical milestones. Like The slaughter at Wounded Knee in the Dakotas. Hosing down black freedom marchers in Selma Al. Auctioning off a brace of slaves in the town square. Hot dogs and corn pone for all after the festivities.

What, pray tell in the white -man's history would you want to commemorate during "White History month" to distinguish it from say, Black History Month"? Can't be the founding of the nation as you already got that covered in the 4th of July. Can't be discovering the continent, as Columbus Day takes care of that. Can't be because your American as we're all Americans.
Besides making a killing on Wall Street, what exactly would you celebrate in your history? Being White?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What you and other R's do not get is that there is only one month for Black History, all the rest of history you are taught about the US is White History, sooooo, we already get 11 Months of White History, can't you spare even one little month for or fellow man?
Why are you calling me a Republican? Not saying that I may not be one, just curious as to why you are making a statement like that when I haven't made stated any of my political leanings in this thread?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
My point is.. US history is WHITE history. There were NO BLACK FOUNDING FATHERS. ie. when children today are taught about the American Revolution are being taught about white history. Christopher Columbus discovering America is white history, WWI history is white history, WWII is predominantly white history. Even the Civil WAR is white history, for every Frederick Douglas mentioned in the history books, there are 25 Robert E Lees. ... black personalities did not start to frequently appear in US history until the civil rights movement.

My bigger point is black history month is NOT meant to provoke people but rather to enlighten them.
I don't see your point... Just because the founders happened to be all white isn't discrimination, black people in this country are Americans too, so why wouldn't they take pride in the founding of the nation? Because they were white? Because your ancestors were slaves at the time? None of that matters today as you are enjoying the freedoms of living in such a great place.

You could be living in Mexico or another 3rd world place such as Africa, but you're here, like the rest of us, and your history is already American history, why try to change that?

I honestly think black history month was just created by overly political correct liberals for the purpose of dividing people. We should be doing the opposite, uniting everyone.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Quote:
Why are you calling me a Republican? Not saying that I may not be one, just curious as to why you are making a statement like that when I haven't made stated any of my political leanings in this thread?
Probably because of your opening statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355
Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?
...Leads us to believe you're not a Democrat.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'm all for it. Go have your "White History month" and we'll even help you. Since you still run the country, pick whatever month you want and go for it.
March around the town square with your AR15s at the ready and we could have re-enactments of historical milestones. Like The slaughter at Wounded Knee in the Dakotas. Hosing down black freedom marchers in Selma Al. Auctioning off a brace of slaves in the town square. Hot dogs and corn pone for all after the festivities.

What, pray tell in the white -man's history would you want to commemorate during "White History month" to distinguish it from say, Black History Month"? Can't be the founding of the nation as you already got that covered in the 4th of July. Can't be discovering the continent, as Columbus Day takes care of that. Can't be because your American as we're all Americans.
Besides making a killing on Wall Street, what exactly would you celebrate in your history? Being White?
Nice hyperbole, you done?

There have been some bad things committed by whites in the past, just like there have been some bad things committed by blacks in the past. But there has also been plenty of good things like The Founding Fathers, Lincoln freeing the slaves etc...

I don't want a white history month, I simply want those things I mentioned above to be taught along side with the things black people have done too. Just call it American History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies