Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Your premise is patently fallacious. Attempting to put words in another's mouth is a sophomoric tactic, at best.
I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. Just trying to understand what the problem is

Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hold two masters degrees. None of the colleges I attended were white colleges. They allowed all students in. The point however is you cannot promote a college as a white college but you can promote one as a black college. You cannot have a white college fund but you can have a negro college fund.

OIC....being black is not racist but being white is.... got it... If you apply the same standard, being black is not an ethnicity either. There are African blacks, Jamacian blacks, etc, etc, etc... If you determine white ethnicity by country of origin, you must do the same for black ethnicity so there is no black ethnicity or white ethnicity. Yet we have "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" and that's not racist but white history month would be.... Go figure....

There is a serious double standard here.
HBCUs began during Reconstruction era after the U.S. Civil War, financed by the U.S. Federal Government, and have a strong and proud history. The "H" in HBCU stands for "Historically." That is: Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

As simetime noted, white people can enroll in HBCUs too. Also, as simetime keenly noted... many if not most U.S. universities have been essentially, Historically White Colleges and Universities.

HBCUs do not carry the ranking and prestige as most other private and public universities in the U.S. rated 2nd or 1st tier. The exception might be Howard University in D.C. but I think it's pushing it to even suggest Howard is thought of and esteemed (outside of Black-America) along the side of the likes of Harvard, Columbia, MIT, and UW-Madison.

So, whites are not being screwed over.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
HBCUs began during Reconstruction era after the U.S. Civil War, financed by the U.S. Federal Government, and have a strong and proud history. The "H" in HBCU stands for "Historically." That is: Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

As simetime noted, white people can enroll in HBCUs too. Also, as simetime keenly noted... many if not most U.S. universities have been essentially, Historically White Colleges and Universities.

HBCUs do not carry the ranking and prestige as most other private and public universities in the U.S. rated 2nd or 1st tier. The exception might be Howard University in D.C. but I think it's pushing it to even suggest Howard is thought of and esteemed (outside of Black-America) along the side of the likes of Harvard, Columbia, MIT, and UW-Madison.

So, whites are not being screwed over.
Where did I say we were being screwed over??? I said there is a double standard. If blacks can chant "Black pride" and not be considered racist, I should be able to chant "White Pride" and not be considered racist. If we can have a negro college fund, we should be able to have a white college fund. If we can have historically black colleges, why can't we have historically white colleges?

I don't think I'm being screwed over (I have no idea where you get that from my posts). I think fair is fair. I think if it's not racist to have a negro college fund then it is not racist to have a white college fund. I think if it's not racist to have a black history month then it's not racist to have a white history month. I think if it's not racist to have black pride rallies, it's not racist to have white pride rallies.

We have a double standard and as long as we have a double standard, there will never be equality. The rules are different depending on the color of our skin. When the rules are no longer different based on the color of our skin, then we will simply be people. Until then, we are blacks and whites and we are separate.

Interesting: Try googling "Black colleges" and "White colleges". You get names of colleges when you google "Black colleges" but not when you google "white colleges". You see we're not allowed to have white colleges. Apparently, black colleges are ok though. As I said, we have a double standard.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
If you want a damn white history month, have one. But please, stop whining about it

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Plenty groups have history months, including groups of European origin. Everything is not "white" and "black" all the time.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The point is, they call it "Black history month" as if BLACK is an ethnicity. If white is not an ethnicity to be promoted and celebrated, why is black? Black and white are skin colors. You can chant "Black Power" and you're viewed as promoting your "race" but you cannot chant "White Power" without being called a racist. You're allowed to have a negro college fund for black students but not a white college fund for white students. That would be racist .

There is a double standard here.
Well, blame that on past and present American (and European) cultures. Africans were not "blacks" until brought to the West via slavery and restricted from maintaining their cultural identities, languages etc. Do you really think they chose to be labeled as simply "black?" They were (and are by descent even without knowing) Akan, Ashanti, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Wolof etc...perhaps over 20 ethnic groups that many Europeans and their Americans forced to become simply "blacks."

Don't worry. "Black" History Month in most schools do not teach anything about the pre-colonial heritage of African-Americans among other things. It's not teaching others that much at all.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-25-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well, blame that on past and present American (and European) cultures. Africans were not "blacks" until brought to the West via slavery and restricted from maintaining their cultural identities, languages etc. Do you really think they chose to be labeled as simply "black?" They were (and are without knowing) Akan, Ashanti, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Wolof etc.

Don't worry. "Black" History Month in most schools do not teach anything about the pre-colonial heritage of African-Americans among other things. It's not teaching others that much at all.
The importation of slaves into the United States was banned by law 207 years ago, and went into effect on January 1st 1808. See: 2 Stat. 426; enacted March 2, 1807.

The vast majority of Europeans came here much later. You possess ZERO claim to blame present white Americans, and European cultures.

As to those in the past who were responsible, don't forget to credit your fellow Akan, Ashanti, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, and Wolof brothers and sisters too. They were the ones capturing and selling fellow Africans for the trade.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
Well, blame that on past and present American (and European) cultures. Africans were not "blacks" until brought to the West via slavery and restricted from maintaining their cultural identities, languages etc. Do you really think they chose to be labeled as simply "black?" They were (and are by descent even without knowing) Akan, Ashanti, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Wolof etc...perhaps over 20 ethnic groups that many Europeans and their Americans forced to become simply "blacks."

Post is spot on, history is written by the victors. Black history month is nothing but a footnote to most Americans it seems.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:25 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:

The people of america are so ignorant about black history that they come here and spew those same lies and bull**** that's taught in schools. In reality, African Americans played much more of a significant part in US history aside from slavery and civil rights. Yet, we get one chapter in our textbooks. PATHETIC!

Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
The importation of slaves into the United States was banned by law 207 years ago, and went into effect on January 1st 1807. See: 2 Stat. 426; enacted March 2, 1807.

The vast majority of Europeans came here much later. You possess ZERO claim to blame present white Americans, and European cultures.
AND?

It is through that and European and American cultures that the people who are called "blacks" today are labeled as such. Those who invented broad racial/color labeling were European and American of European descent. If you want to whine about it, YOU go back and figure out the ethnicities of every single so-called "black" with a heritage in the U.S.

Then YOU petition your government for ethnic as opposed to racial/color categories that it insists on today.

Since slavery ended way back when, WHY did the American goverment insist on those labels long after? How come Europeans who came later adopt it so easily and perpetuated it?

It's not about blaming anyone. Stop whining about a label that so-called "blacks" never gave themselves.

(And for the record, I'm not African-American. I have no history in the U.S. This is simply clear as day).

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-25-2013 at 01:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies