Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Post is spot on, history is written by the victors. Black history month is nothing but a footnote to most Americans it seems.
They don't have a clue. Do these people really think all of those Africans walked around calling themselves "blacks?" They still don't get that the color label was forced, not chosen. Yet they want to whine about it.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The people of america are so ignorant about black history that they come here and spew those same lies and bull**** that's taught in schools. In reality, African Americans played much more of a significant part in US history aside from slavery and civil rights. Yet, we get one chapter in our textbooks. PATHETIC!
They don't and it shows. They need to start with how so many different African ethnic groups became "blacks." Most American history books are a joke when it comes to the history of African-Americans. Don't they learn about European history prior to coming to the West? Then why don't they learn about African history prior to being brought to/coming to the West? They want to whine about labels such as "black" when it comes to a history month but they dont even have a clue why such a label exists.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-25-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
AND?

It is through that and European and American cultures that the people who are called "blacks" today are labeled as such. Those who invented broad racial/color labeling were European and American of European descent. If you want to whine about it, YOU go back and figure out the ethnicities of every single so-called "black" with a heritage in the U.S.
I'm not going to do anything. You're the one moaning about black people's loss of ancestral knowledge. Figure it out yourself.

Quote:
Then YOU petition your government for ethnic as opposed to racial/color categories that it insists on today.

Since slavery ended way back when, WHY did the American goverment insist on those labels long after? How come Europeans who came later adopt it so easily and perpetuated it?
Why does it matter to you? You're not even American. One wonders why you're even participating in this thread, anyways.

Quote:
It's not about blaming anyone. Stop whining about a label that so-called "blacks" never gave themselves.

(And for the record, I'm not African-American. I have no history in the U.S. This is simply clear as day).
You're the one who's whining and blamed present Americans and Europeans. Now you're trying to weasel out of what you said. I recommend you stick with posts relevant to your own country. You're not American.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-25-2013 at 02:19 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 AM

580 posts, read 449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I always learned about MLK, Malcolm X, and Frederick Douglas along with John Brown, Asbury, and other white civil rights leaders as well.
What's wrong FP, Stormfront down today???

I am going to have to assume you are lying as concerns the above statement... Because had you [always] learned about the people you named, and the contributions they made to society, you wouldn't be asking such a gut-wrenchingly stupid question in your op...

I am also going to assume you didn't [always] learn english, either...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I'm not going to do anything. You're the one moaning about black people's loss of ancestral knowledge. Figure it out yourself.

Why does it matter to you? You're not even American. One wonders why you're even participating in this thread, anyways.

You're the one who's whining and blamed present Americans and Europeans. Now you're trying to weasel out of what you said. I recommend you stick with posts relevant to your own country. You're not American.
My posts states facts, but the only one moaning is the OP that you clearly support in his nonsense. Why are you using the term "black" when "black" history month is a problem for you?

Who told you that I am not American? I am an American. My statement was simply that I am not African-American. African-American is not a nationality. It is an ethnic group.

Whether you like it or not, present Americans and Europeans can be blamed for their ungodly levels of ignorance. AGAIN, Africans were not "blacks" until brought to the West via slavery and restricted from maintaining their cultural identities, languages etc. Do you really think they chose to be labeled as simply "black" when they belonged to a myriad of ethnic groups?

So why are those who you obviously support complaining about "black" history month? Why are you all moaning and complaining about something that "blacks" had no control over? Blame those Americans and Europeans in the past who were involved and stop griping at so-called "blacks" today.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Quote:
My posts states facts, but the only one moaning is the OP that you clearly support in his nonsense. Why are you using the term "black" when "black" history month is a problem for you?

Who told you that I am not American? I am an American. My statement was simply that I am not African-American. African-American is not a nationality. It is an ethnic group.

Whether you like it or not, present Americans and Europeans can be blamed for their ungodly levels of ignorance. AGAIN, Africans were not "blacks" until brought to the West via slavery and restricted from maintaining their cultural identities, languages etc. Do you really think they chose to be labeled as simply "black" when they belonged to a myriad of ethnic groups?

So why are those who you obviously support complaining about "black" history month? Why are you all moaning and complaining about something that "blacks" had no control over? Blame those Americans and Europeans in the past who were involved and stop griping at so-called "blacks" today.
Reading is fundamental. It seems the only person who's ignorant is you. I am against all XXXXX History Months. I stated that a while ago. Are you too lazy to read the entire thread?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:40 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
This has nothing to do with be a "liberal" but what is left of history in the historical context of black America. White people celebrate their own individual cultures ala St. Patrick's Day (Irish), Italians celebrate their own culture holidays too.
What does "black history" month celebrate? The remembrance of slavery and the struggles they faced even up to 50 years ago when they couldn't even vote. Black people in the US have no trace of where they came from originally since they were stripped of their ancestry from Africa through slavery.

A Question for you is "do you run around" screaming I'm white?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Reading is fundamental. It seems the only person who's ignorant is you. I am against all XXXXX History Months. I stated that a while ago. Are you too lazy to read the entire thread?
No need to read the entire thread when your ignorance is already glaring. The hit dog will holler, and that's exactly why you responded to my posts.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
I solved the damn riddle for you already.

Blacks in this country are a nation. Whites are not, but rather a collection of nations. Black pride is not analogous to white pride, it is like Italian pride or Serbian pride.

Our concept of whiteness in this country is really just a loose collection of people that, in my opinion, only exists in opposition to darker people. This makes something like "white pride" really just "pride in not being a darker-colored person".

I think whites may become a true nation in the future but the concept is barely a century old. Once a European immigrant will be taken to be like "oh he's not white, he's German", then we will have a nation on our hands and one can speak of a White American nation that's not inherently racist.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,061 times
Black and white are races. Black-American and Italian are ethnicities. Or... Africentric scholarship prefers to call them nations rather than ethnicities.

Black History Months seems to suggest "the history of black people are a race," as opposed to "Black-American history."

As I stated previously, very little "white history" is taught in public grade schools and high schools.

I was born in 1971. I attended a Catholic grade school. The grade school was predominately Black-American. I remember being taught a little "American history" and a little "Black History." For example, as a small child in Catholic school I was taught about the Muslim Manasa Musas Caravan. He was presented as black in a our class lecture. (He may not have been black African as we construe that to be today--nevertheless, we were taught as kids he was black).

However, we never were taught anything about "white history" or "European history" except as it related to the Pilgrims leaving England. That's about it. Of course, we learned about American figures like George Washington and Benedict Arnold. This what I'm assuming most on this sight complaining no Black History is taught are construing as "white history."

Also... I think people are looking for something in "Black History" in West Africa circa 14500s - 1700s that was not their. These were chiefdom societies largely. Timbuktu might have been an exception. Meaning... these chiefdoms did not produce science or much if any literature. The same can be said of my German ancestors during the era of ancient Rome (the Romans called them barbarians). They lived in chiefdom societies and had no science and no literature. It was Catholic monks that eventually created a German written language for the German peoples (and I did not learn that in Catholic grade school or Catholic high school, I learned that doing my own personal reading of Catholic history, a history too immense to fit in a single month as "Catholic History Month"--the history of black people across the world is too immense to fit in a single month too).

The history of the Italian people or Jews or Muslims in the Balkans would be a life time work. Same would go for "white history" or "black history."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies