Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
And there is no "proof" Africans sailed to the Americas. Personally, from having been stationed on huge, heavy, U.S. Navy battleship that sailed to Southwest Asia (Persian Gulf) and back to the United States, I find the whole idea preposterous.

On that huge ship I stood .50 cal watch at night, during storms out at sea, with the ship rocking from waves. West Africa had no ships that could cross the Atlantic. They had essentially row boats. You need shelter and adequate food supply. No row boat could survive the strength of the storms at sea. And if by whatever miracle they did land in the Americas I doubt they ever returned back to Africa. I don't think luck would smile on their journey twice.
The Phoenicians, who were one of several civilizations on the African content who regularly engaged in sea travel, had large enough ships to cross the Atlantic with little difficulty. In fact, they had better seafaring technology than the Vikings of several hundred years later. If the Vikings managed to make it across, what makes you believe that the Phoenicians, sailing at more southern latitudes and in calmer seas, couldn't have done the same?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No need to read the entire thread when your ignorance is already glaring. The hit dog will holler, and that's exactly why you responded to my posts.
Ignorant ad hominems.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Black and white are races. Black-American and Italian are ethnicities. Or... Africentric scholarship prefers to call them nations rather than ethnicities.

Actually black and white are colors, only in America people are classified by this

Black History Months seems to suggest "the history of black people are a race," as opposed to "Black-American history."

I agree

As I stated previously, very little "white history" is taught in public grade schools and high schools.

No, if the class does not include all of the contributions to this country other by whites, it is considered to be a continuation of European history in America.

I was born in 1971. I attended a Catholic grade school. The grade school was predominately Black-American. I remember being taught a little "American history" and a little "Black History." For example, as a small child in Catholic school I was taught about the Muslim Manasa Musas Caravan. He was presented as black in a our class lecture. (He may not have been black African as we construe that to be today--nevertheless, we were taught as kids he was black).

If that was all that you were taught about blacks in this country, than you were taught European history in America. As you just mentioned you were also taught in a catholic School which is far different than public school teaching. On top of that you were also taught what is also a subtle amount of religion which alters the the historical truth in their favor

However, we never were taught anything about "white history" or "European history" except as it related to the Pilgrims leaving England. That's about it. Of course, we learned about American figures like George Washington and Benedict Arnold. This what I'm assuming most on this sight complaining no Black History is taught are construing as "white history."

If that is all that you were taught as far as history is concerned, you were way behind the curve, but is still not an indicator what the majority of kids are taught in urban public schools.

Also... I think people are looking for something in "Black History" in West Africa circa 14500s - 1700s that was not their. These were chiefdom societies largely. Timbuktu might have been an exception. Meaning... these chiefdoms did not produce science or much if any literature. The same can be said of my German ancestors during the era of ancient Rome (the Romans called them barbarians). They lived in chiefdom societies and had no science and no literature. It was Catholic monks that eventually created a German written language for the German peoples (and I did not learn that in Catholic grade school or Catholic high school, I learned that doing my own personal reading of Catholic history, a history too immense to fit in a single month as "Catholic History Month"--the history of black people across the world is too immense to fit in a single month too).

True, but none of this has nothing to done with Black AMERICAN history, what you are talking about in WORLD HISTORY which is another subject altogether.

The history of the Italian people or Jews or Muslims in the Balkans would be a life time work. Same would go for "white history" or "black history."

I will not challenge anything that you said, but the point is that black american contributions to this country are not recognized and therefore we have Black History Month, but I will agree that it should be named "Black American History Month"

Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The Phoenicians, who were one of several civilizations on the African content who regularly engaged in sea travel, had large enough ships to cross the Atlantic with little difficulty. In fact, they had better seafaring technology than the Vikings of several hundred years later. If the Vikings managed to make it across, what makes you believe that the Phoenicians, sailing at more southern latitudes and in calmer seas, couldn't have done the same?

Thanks for correcting him, which only proves that not only Black history is needed by all but World history as well

Old 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Africans are white people as well. Plenty of white Berbers. You have Arabs and East Indians living in Africa. Today a lot of Chinese are living in Africa too.

When an American say, "African" he or she is usually connoting black people that look like Wesley Snipes.

The Phoencians to my understanding were not native to North Africa but were a Semetic people that migrated to that region and colonized the area.

They looked probably much like this: Phoenician | Scottsdale AZ Art Galleries and Events at The Phoenician

So, what are you going to argue, white people with tans sailed from Africa to the Americas.

West African civilizations of black people lived in Cheifdoms primarily (Timbuktu excepted perhaps), and they only had row boats. So did the Amerindians.

You're not conducting trade across the Atlantic in one of these.

Berbers of Africa: Berber people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM

[quote=Supine;31128654]Africans are white people as well. Plenty of white Berbers. You have Arabs and East Indians living in Africa. Today a lot of Chinese are living in Africa too.

When an American say, "African" he or she is usually connoting black people that look like Wesley Snipes.

The Phoencians to my understanding were not native to North Africa but were a Semetic people that migrated to that region and colonized the area.

They looked probably much like this: Phoenician | Scottsdale AZ Art Galleries and Events at The Phoenician

So, what are you going to argue, white people with tans sailed from Africa to the Americas.

West African civilizations of black people lived in Cheifdoms primarily (Timbuktu excepted perhaps), and they only had row boats. So did the Amerindians.

You're not conducting trade across the Atlantic in one of these.

They are still Africans and they still were here before Columbus. I don't think that the issue was the COLOR of their skin but who they were and when did they land on American shores.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thanks for correcting him, which only proves that not only Black history is needed by all but World history as well
The Phoenicians are an archetype model of a white Cleopatra and a Greek, Roman, Coptic, and Arab run Egypt.

Which is different than the arguments some in the Afrocentric circles make of black Africans settling the Americas and or conducting trade back and forth crossing the Atlantic.

And before one mentions the ancient Greek philosophers and East Indians, I'm aware some Afrocentric people claim these people originally were "black."

And large sculptures of round heads with wide noses found in lower Mexico or Central America don't persuade me that the Olmecs were black people from Africa.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM

[quote=Supine;31129059]The Phoenicians are an archetype model of a white Cleopatra and a Greek, Roman, Coptic, and Arab run Egypt.

Which is different than the arguments some in the Afrocentric circles make of black Africans settling the Americas and or conducting trade back and forth crossing the Atlantic.

And before one mentions the ancient Greek philosophers and East Indians, I'm aware some Afrocentric people claim these people originally were "black."

And large sculptures of round heads with wide noses found in lower Mexico or Central America don't persuade me that the Olmecs were black people from Africa.

Like I said before, the arguement had nothing to do with the color of their skin but that they were here BEFORE Columbus. Rather they are white, black or brown they still are AFRICANS!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
They are still Africans and they still were here before Columbus. I don't think that the issue was the COLOR of their skin but who they were and when did they land on American shores.
I think this is more a theory. Also, the Greeks than controlled Egypt could be called Africans. And we know at least one half of Cleopatra's family were essentially Greeks. They tended to marry within their family too. Which might be why some theorize Cleopatra as being white. But you took umbrage earlier, at the fact Elizabeth Taylor played Cleopatra.

Now, you are claiming Phoenicians as "Africans" even though they no more were originally native to North Africa than the Greeks and Romans to Egypt or the British to the Americas.

And whether or not Phoenicians, Vikings, or aliens from Mars landed in the Americas before Columbus still would not take away the discovery Columbus made for Europe (Europeans) at large.

To this very day you have Amerindians and black Africans living in primitive tribal/chiefdom societies.

For all the "Black Legion" spread by the British about the Spanish you still have some Amerindians living out in the forests like it was the 1400s--in both Spanish speaking and Portuguese speaking Latin America.

My Germanic ancestors stopped living in chiefdom societies centuries ago. They still lived liked that when Charles Martel met the Muslim horsemen forces around roughly what is now Tours, France.

Today... the German's scientific, technological, artistic, and literary achievements are among the best on earth.

Heckler & Koch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Heckler & Koch GmbH (HK) (German pronunciation: [ˈhɛklɐʔʊntˈkɔx][1]) is a German defense manufacturing company producing handguns, assault rifles, submachine guns, and grenade launchers.

HK (Heckler & Koch) versus Colt - YouTube

Germans produce some of the best automobiles and fine wrist watches on earth too. They have been referred to as the "Japanese of Europe" because of their philosophy of intertwining function and beauty and their discipline and dedication to craftsmanship etc.

I don't hate or dislike Amerindians and black Africans (or Southeast Asians) reared in primitive tribes or chiefdom. And some psychological benefits may come with it (but that's another thread and subject). However, these societies can't produce universities, science, and advance technology. Essentially, tribal and chiefdom societies can't compete with mainstream Brazilian society or with modern day German society.

Warning: not sure if the Africa video shows bare breasted women. I did not watch 90% of the video.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, the arguement had nothing to do with the color of their skin but that they were here BEFORE Columbus. Rather they are white, black or brown they still are AFRICANS!
Then whites are still Americans.

Your earlier arguments did not dismiss color or race. They were in fact central to your complaints.

It's apparent your issue with Columbus is that he was a white European with ambition, courage, and serendipitously arrived on a continent Europeans at large were unaware existed, and that through Columbus European knowledge of the continents of the world expanded, and they justly give him credit for informing them about this new land he happened upon, though mistakenly believed to have been India.

Columbus made his mark on the world, as MLK (certainly not the first involved in Civil Rights for blacks), and no one can take that away. They can player hate, but they'll just be "hating."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies