Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with people of European descent crediting Christopher Columbus with the discovery of the Americas for Europe.

For one, Columbus could not "discover anything" that already had people there and for two there are others that were here BEFORE Columbus besides the Native Americans that you somehow forgot

And very little "white history" is taught at anytime throughout any academic year in elementary and secondary schools.

Anything that is taught by the schools is approved by a predominately white board

There was a long standing bias against blacks throughout the curriculum of U.S. schools dating back many decades before the 1970s. The rare exception to this was elementary and secondary schools run by Catholic nuns for Black-American children, and schools and HBCUs run by Black-Americans themselves.
????? Please explain

Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 PM

720 posts, read 706,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
Because our society has been lead and taught to believe the most irrational crap possible by those in power that could not lead their way out of a paper bag. Logic and reason does not exist in these people's minds.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Mexican history month coming to a channel near you..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Out of all of the ethnicity and race month. Why is black history month such an issue with white people???? We learn about the culture and history of white people everyday; can we at least have a moment???

Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Out of all of the ethnicity and race month. Why is black history month such an issue with white people???? We learn about the culture and history of white people everyday; can we at least have a moment???
A whole month isn't a moment. I am opposed to all ethnic/racial months including white ones. One day would be plenty like St. Patrick's day, Cinco de Mayo, etc. Actually we already celebrate MLK's birthday anyway and he was the epitomy of the black community and his attention to their struggles for civil rights.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A whole month isn't a moment. I am opposed to all ethnic/racial months including white ones. One day would be plenty like St. Patrick's day, Cinco de Mayo, etc. Actually we already celebrate MLK's birthday anyway and he was the epitomy of the black community and his attention to their struggles for civil rights.
The majority of our history books is white history and this is a majority white country. It makes perfect sense for minorities to have holidays and months dedicated to their race. It's like living in a city with majority of one race and have ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM

349 posts, read 261,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So according to your obviously limited scope of Black history MLK is the sum total of Black history??

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM

349 posts, read 261,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
????? Please explain
Sure I'll make it easy for you. Most American Text books at the elementary through high school level adopt the standards set by the Texas State Board of Education. Let's view the racial makeup of this board shall we?

How much diversity and differing opinions do you observe represented here?

You have a board comprised of 4 Democrats and 11 Republicans including the Chair , Vice Chair and Secretary.

How much idealogical and differing political viewpoints are represented here?

Let's review some of the controversies surrounding this body of people?

On November 7, 2007, Christine Comer resigned as the director of the science curriculum after more than nine years. Comer said that her resignation was a result of pressure from officials who claimed that she had given the appearance of criticizing the teaching of intelligent design.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE][SIZE=2][5][/SIZE]
In 2009, the Board received criticism from more than fifty scientific organizations over an attempt to weaken science standards on evolution.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]

In 2010, it was said to be "drafting its own version of American history", including altering school textbooks to remove what it said was a "left leaning bias" and making changes that are said to have "religious and racial overtones

the proposed curriculum would downplay Thomas Jefferson's emphasis on the separation of church and state (outlined in his Letter to Danbury Baptists), and would include a greater emphasis on the importance of religion to the founding fathers. Other changes include downplaying Abraham Lincoln's role in the civil war and putting more emphasis on the Confederate leader Jefferson Davis, questioning the African American Civil Rights Movement in addition to downplaying Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy, removing such instances and points of history such as downplaying slavery, putting more emphasis on the states rights cause during the Civil War

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default If black history month isn't racist, then why would white history month be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
Self-pitying white guys are ridiculous.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with people of European descent crediting Christopher Columbus with the discovery of the Americas for Europe.

Is'nt that a little bit word play? I mean how can you discover something that was already discovered by someone else and then claim that they (re)discovered it for another country? First of all he was given credit for being lost in the first place and secondly there were not only people halready here, but others that had made the trip many years before him.

And very little "white history" is taught at anytime throughout any academic year in elementary and secondary schools.

Nope, ALL white history is taught in the public schools and very little "other" history. For instance can you name at least 10 black inventors and their inventions off of the top of your head? I doubt it, and sadly neither can over 80% of Americans in this country.

There was a long standing bias against blacks throughout the curriculum of U.S. schools dating back many decades before the 1970s. The rare exception to this was elementary and secondary schools run by Catholic nuns for Black-American children, and schools and HBCUs run by Black-Americans themselves.
So if we all are Americans why is there selective teachings of black and latino accomplishments? I think that it is interesting that many whites complain about underacheiving black students but yet fail to mention that the cirriculum rarely mentions them in any of their texts unless they go to a HBCU (which btw are under attack by some whites for being exclusive). How would you feel if you went through your entire educational life and the only thing that you were taught was that you were slaves and the the same people that enslaved you freed you and than one man marched for your freedom. There are very few text books that include what the kings/queens of Africa did or even what they looked like. Hell, they even had the audacity to protray the queen of Egypt a white woman, considering many Americans still do not realize that it is a part of Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies