Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Good question. We should be able to celebrate being white and be proud of being white. It's as if there is some unwritten rule that we're supposed to be ashamed of being white while someone who is black should be proud of being black. I don't get it.
Whiteness is celebrated every day in America. White aesthetics (white women are more attractive than everyone else), white history (mentioned in this thread many times already), white culture, white ways of being.

Quote:
We can't have white colleges and promote white education with a white college fund either yet there are black colleges and the negro college fund.
Exhibit A of your ignorance of history. The only reason historically black colleges and universities were established is because whites would not allow black students into the public or private schools they established. Would you prefer that blacks would not have been allowed to be educated at all?
Quote:
I can think of only two possible reasons for this. Either A) Being white is so shameful you don't mention it and don't celebrate it or B) being white is so superior it doesn't need to be celebrated or promoted. Either one is equally bad. I suspect it's A because if you attempt to celebrate whiteness, you're labeled as a racist.
In addition to whiteness in general being promoted in this society, countless white ethnic groups celebrate their history and culture in America. Why are you not complaining about that?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Don't forget how Africans sold other Africans into slavery. Oops. They still do.
And Europeans have been killing and raping each other for millennia. So what?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Then whites are still Americans.

Your earlier arguments did not dismiss color or race. They were in fact central to your complaints.

It's apparent your issue with Columbus is that he was a white European with ambition, courage, and serendipitously arrived on a continent Europeans at large were unaware existed, and that through Columbus European knowledge of the continents of the world expanded, and they justly give him credit for informing them about this new land he happened upon, though mistakenly believed to have been India.

Columbus made his mark on the world, as MLK (certainly not the first involved in Civil Rights for blacks), and no one can take that away. They can player hate, but they'll just be "hating."
No I have no bone with Columbus and I only used him as an example of the distortions and omissions of the public school system that ignores the accomplishments that people of color has contributed to this country in it's teaching to the public as a whole.

I want to thank you for pointing this out since obviously you obtained your knowledge not through the public school system but through Catholic school and college

Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM

471 posts, read 977,129 times
I don't see a need for any person of historical importance to be refered to by their race and categorized the same way...such being, there should not be any month dedicated to one race or another.

Remember that historical importance does not mean the person did something deemed either good or bad, or that they did it because they were of any one race.. As far as important black people not being taught in school, I disagree. In the 60's I remember important people being discussed in school no matter what color they may have been. Black people were not saved up so that we could have a black week, or an asian week, or anything like that. Nor were they held up in amazement that they could do something even if they were this or that color.

History should be taught as a progression of events and people that happened over time...not lumped in racial groups for special occasions..

Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And Europeans have been killing and raping each other for millennia. So what?
This was previous dialogue with another poster. Go back and read it.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
This was previous dialogue with another poster. Go back and read it.
What was your point though??? Is that some type of argument to justify slavery in the US????

Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What was your point though??? Is that some type of argument to justify slavery in the US????
No it was not my point. If you had read the posts, that would be quite obvious.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
No it was not my point. If you had read the posts, that would be quite obvious.
Now your insinuating that because I'm black I can't read?!?! GO back to stormfront!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I don't see a need for any person of historical importance to be refered to by their race and categorized the same way...such being, there should not be any month dedicated to one race or another.

Remember that historical importance does not mean the person did something deemed either good or bad, or that they did it because they were of any one race.. As far as important black people not being taught in school, I disagree. In the 60's I remember important people being discussed in school no matter what color they may have been. Black people were not saved up so that we could have a black week, or an asian week, or anything like that. Nor were they held up in amazement that they could do something even if they were this or that color.

History should be taught as a progression of events and people that happened over time...not lumped in racial groups for special occasions..

But since it is not and mainly because some ultra conservatives in Texas control what (for the most part) what gets printed in the text books and thus what the teachers teach, what you you mentioned will never happen. This is why blacks will have to settle for one month out of the year instead of educating the proper way like it suppose to be done

Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Now your insinuating that because I'm black I can't read?!?! GO back to stormfront!
I don't know whether your black, white, or purple -- and nor do I care. Something's wrong with you to jump to that inane conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies