Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM

371 posts, read 426,287 times

Advertisements

I got it from Abagond.wordpress.com very intelligent dude. I advise you to do some reading. Obama isn't even pro-black at all. Its scary because he's so neutral that it comes off as being pro-white.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see, so there is nothing positive about white history in this country? Most of it is all bad? It is pretty hypocritical to ignore the negatives of non-white history in this country and to have a history month of only glowing remarks about them, isn't it? Why not focus on all the good things today about all races rather than dwelling on the past? You don't have to answer though because I already know the motive behind dwelling on the negative past rather than the positive present and future. Many people would have to get rid of that victim card in their wallets after having had it laminated for permanent use.
Honestly, there are a lot of positive things about white Americans taught in our history classes. I have kids in school and my son learns a lot about the history of our country, unfortunately, there is still not a whole lot about contributions to our nation from non-white minorities being taught on a daily basis. Luckily he has teachers who go outside the confines of a text book to teach various viewpoints on history.

His favorite field trip was to our local history center where all the kids in his grade (mostly black) got to pretend they were soldiers in the civil war - some kids were union and some the south. They each had to make difficult decisions in their enactments, like how many rations to give out for food. One had to pretend they were injured in battle and unconscious and his friend had to decide whether or not his injured limb would be amputated and the amputee would have to deal with the pain and bandage and such. The 10-11 year olds just loved this. They had similar discussions and activities regarding late 19th and early 20th century history. The teachers went out of their way to teach the kids about sharecropping and the prison labor system that erupted out of the south's need for free labor in the post antebellum period. Immigration was discussed and the reasons why European immigrants came to our country, their typical and not so typical journeys and situations, the hardships they faced and tenement living in large industrial areas. They covered a lot last year in 5th grade history and the kids ate it up. A lot of positive things regarding white Americans and white immigrants were discussed along with positive contributions from black Americans and natives in our area (we are in the south so history is usually focused on the south).

I'm sure it was already mentioned that there are other "months" for other cultures that are not black, including many European countries along with a woman's month, that is primarily used to delve into the history of the feminist and suffragist movements that primarily white women were involved in and how these women succeeded in not only "women's issues" but contributed to the abolition movement prior to the Civil War, education of newly freedmen and women, how the west couldn't have been "tamed" without the woman's influence and even the labor movement and the formation of the national PTA amongst other, now renowned organizations. Even the woman's involvement in the passage of prohibition.

I don't think anyone feels it is "racist" to be proud to be white. But what does "whiteness" encompass exactly and what would you be focusing on during your "white month" that you cannot focus on during the rest of the year. Especially since history lessons in our country primarily start with Plymouth (even though there were white Spanish and French settlers here before the Pilgrims). Our country's history is very much tied with white British colonialism and so our history lessons have that slant automatically. If they didn't, you wouldn't know our founding fathers, our first 43 presidents, deeds done by Paul Revere and other patriots of the revolutionary period. If anything, you should want a "French" month and an "irish" month or a "german" month to celebrate those cultural contributions to our American society.

Black history month, IMO is not thorough enough and unfortunately only 5-10 people are highlighted during the month. I would like to see it revamped, especially at the middle school level to focus more on black cultural thought throughout the country's history and highlight great black thinkers from going more in depth into the life and work of not as popular black figures like Hubert Harrison or Carter G. Woodson or William Monroe Trotter.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
White people weren't slaves? So what about all the white slaves in Roman times? Owned by the Roman elite. Maybe I should go and ask for an official apology from every Italian person?

BTW most white people didn't even own slaves, including the south. The vast majority of whites were dirt poor. Why is there no history month to show the struggles of the poor white farmers? Would that be racist?
In the US?
Did ancient Rome have diversity months?

Do you hate the Pacific Islanders for the month of May?

Or is it only blacks, and gays.
Seems you have special interest in them.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
If people were allowed to define what taxable income should be, the government would hardly ever get paid because people will rarely impose a burden upon themselves, given the choice. The masses would set the bar so high that only the ultra-rich would be burdened with taxes. The same thing is true for whites and racism, with the difference being that they DO control the narrative and hence get to define what racism is and thus they have set the standards so high, for themselves, that they are never burdened with knowledge that they are racist.

Using the identifying characteristics of a 1950’s racist, they use such to set the standard for what racism is, as if racism does not change its appearance and tactics like nearly everything else has changed and evolved since the 50’s.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
every month is white history month

Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
It's not blaming it's called stating facts and the fact is that the first non-indentured African slave was brought to this land we now call America in 1619. The first president was a slave-holder prior to and post the revolutionary war. So who cares that technically G.W was a British citizen prior to the inception of America. G.W's slaves and other slaves were stuck on the same damn plantation prior to and post the war that gave the U.S.A it's official title.

I can call myself whatever I want to and your opinion of what constitutes a real African is just than an opinion...no more valid than my opinion. I will always stick out in a room full of people with a different skin color than mine and calling myself an American without the African in front of it doesn't change that. Not to say that necessarily means that I'm being discriminated against by merely being in that room full of non-blacks it just means that I will stick out because my appreance is different from the majority.

Finally, I have never-ever negated the experience of whites who claim racial discrimination on CD or anyone else for that matter. I don't like when I see people of other races harrassed for merely being a different creed or color. I don't nod and wink when people make remarks about other races just because I'm not that particular race doesn't mean that I condone racism on any level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well I see you are into blaming the USA for what it could not be responsible for, which is from the Dawn of Man to 1789.

Don't think for a second whites don't experience racism from time to time from black either.

I dislike AA as a term. I know whites from South Africa that were born there, and are real Africans.

You are a black American because you insist to be different. When you want to be just American maybe then you will blend in.

Racism is a 2 way street, and it will always be.

Last edited by Jasper03; 08-27-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, in order to get rid of the double standard they created a double standard... gotcha.
Funny how that works isn't it ?
But it's okay though, and better not say it isn't or you will be labeled !!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
every month is white history month
Yeah, sure thing.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Every month is white history month in the US. That's the point. It's business as usual. I don't think we need to designate something special for business as usual. It's like giving your kid a party and a grand prize ribbon for brushing their teeth and combing their hair.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nice rant.. Did Obama tell you that?
That's funny Mac. Now weren't something like 10 million Jewish people killed in the holocaust ? It's odd I don't keep hearing them complaining about what happened in their past and you know there are many of them walking around today with the tattoo, not sure there are too many blacks walkiing around today with the brand. Seems to me the Jewish moved passed what happened maybe the blacks should too ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies