Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Says the person who's entire thread is based on Bull$%$
My thread is simply a question, to which for some reason you're getting all defensive about.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
My thread is simply a question, to which for some reason you're getting all defensive about.
because the frequency of threads like this get irritating after a while, maybe you werent race baiting and you honestly didnt know other months existed, but you still should have taken the time to research the argument you were about to make.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
I ignore all holidays/history months anyway. They're all useless.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Because white people weren't slaves who fought for freedom and then activists who fought for their rights. That's why.
It would be inaccurate to portray the majority of black slaves in the U.S. as having fought for freedom. Some certainly did but the majority accepted their position, life, and future in that racial caste system.

The Civil Rights Movement was a multiracial movement as well. Or probably b-racial given it was mostly blacks and whites marching or riding "freedom" buses in that movement.

But White-Americans had a fought for other rights related to themselves (mostly themselves, not that no black unions and labor fighters didn't exist). I'm thinking of the labor movements. Some of which turned bloody with U.S. soldiers and hired Pinkerton men firing on crowds of women and men protesting outside the factories that employed them.

I'm mulatto but I don't like Black History Month. For a number of reason.

It is primarily propaganda driven. It's intentions is to arouse a collective sense of pride. The method used to doing that is being selective about what one picks as "black history" and constructing a "triumphalistic" narrative of black history.

You can use "history" to arouse shame in a category of people too. Again, selecting what you want as "history."

As an example, "The history of Christianity" would be used as propaganda to shame Christians, as perceived faults would be highlighted. The murderous rampage of the Crips will never be placed inside "Black History" but the Salem witch trials would make it into "Christian history" as well as the KKK would be placed into Christian history.

The other thing I don't like... is that real black history is too expansive to teach in a single month or to do justice to in short paragraphs. History our be taught and studied throughout life, throughout a person's life.

The history of capitalism and labor is important to U.S. history too but I doubt any of that is taught to most teenage students. There was a time many of those teenager would not be sitting in a classroom but out laboring in a factory in the United States.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
Whose his story do you think has been taught for the last 200 years? I guess that the absence of black inventors, explorers and scientist is ok with you? I guess the lie of Christopher Columbus "discovering" the americas is all the truth that you can handle. If the truth was told in the first place Black history would not have been needed in the first place. Why do you think blacks and their acheivements throughout history were ommitted in the first place?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Whose his story do you think has been taught for the last 200 years? I guess that the absence of black inventors, explorers and scientist is ok with you? I guess the lie of Christopher Columbus "discovering" the americas is all the truth that you can handle. If the truth was told in the first place Black history would not have been needed in the first place. Why do you think blacks and their acheivements throughout history were ommitted in the first place?
I don't think there is anything wrong with people of European descent crediting Christopher Columbus with the discovery of the Americas for Europe.

And very little "white history" is taught at anytime throughout any academic year in elementary and secondary schools.

There was a long standing bias against blacks throughout the curriculum of U.S. schools dating back many decades before the 1970s. The rare exception to this was elementary and secondary schools run by Catholic nuns for Black-American children, and schools and HBCUs run by Black-Americans themselves.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?

It's not racist of a white person to be proud but why do we need a white history month. We had all the rights we wanted. Blacks were brought here as slaves and fought tooth and nail to be equal. And against all odds many blacks made significant contributions to our society which most of our society wants recognized and remembered. What's wrong with that. Besides blacks make up I think 13% of our population. I just don't see it as a double standard.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Exactly, no one ever cares about other ethnicities or races having a history month only black history month makes the haters angry.
I guess that makes me an equal opportunity 'hater.'

I think a new month should be established -- "B.S. Awareness Month." That's how many rational folks perceive any month 'dedicated' to an ethnic/racial group.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:

Why is this?
It's called white guilt. If you're liberal, it's considered sophisticated and intellectual to be ashamed of the wrongs your race committed in the past. It shows you are a morally superior person. Same thing can be seen when they criticize Christians but say nothing about Muslims and their sharia law.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's called white guilt. If you're liberal, it's considered sophisticated and intellectual to be ashamed of the wrongs your race committed in the past. It shows you are a morally superior person. Same thing can be seen when they criticize Christians but say nothing about Muslims and their sharia law.
What does this have to do with having a white history month? And what does white guilt have to do with any of this. This has nothing to do with the wrongs of the past. This has to do with black heritage and what they brought to this country. They just want to celebrate that. Where does liberal fit in with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies