Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Its not hard to see convictions; its public information and available. there are lots of sites that do it;even dating sites now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And what do you say then they suffer an episode of recidivism and bash/kill more people?

"Oh well, I guess I was wrong...my bad."
Well no I don't say that because I'm not a judge or on a parole board, so making the decision of who is and who is not safe to be released into society is not my responsibility.

But that being said, yes that's the price you pay for having rule of law in a imperfect world. Registries don't prevent recidivism anyway.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
??? Since when are violent criminals in my neighborhood no danger to me?
Being convicted doesn't even mean the subject actually committed the so-called crime. Also since when are felonies just violent crime?
As to the SO reg that could include many falsely accused. Much better to get to know your neighbors. IMO should be about community and not appreciation of assets.
People think they can protect themselves from everything.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its not hard to see convictions; its public information and available. there are lots of sites that do it;even dating sites now.

WTF use is that if bums are moving into/out of your block on a regular basis and you don't know half their names, let alone DOB or SSN.

Actually just being able to map them by block - no further identifying information - would be helpful.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Being convicted doesn't even mean the subject actually committed the so-called crime. Also since when are felonies just violent crime?
As to the SO reg that could include many falsely accused. Much better to get to know your neighbors. IMO should be about community and not appreciation of assets.
People think they can protect themselves from everything.

There are other workable options like only violent felonies or only index crimes, etc.

And it's pretty hard to get to know your neighbors when half of them live in maximum security apartments.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
There are other workable options like only violent felonies or only index crimes, etc.
Sure there are. So say you find out you have some? What will you do with that info? On one hand you alluded to asset protection, on the other you speak of protecting the poor.

Have you checked out crime reports site? You can use that to see a great deal of information, specifically related to safety. Indexes skew data usually. The kind of information you are implying would be useful.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
What about white collar type felonies?
what about them?

he said "felons"...last time I checked.."white color felonies" are still felonies

Old 08-25-2013, 01:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
what about them?

he said "felons"...last time I checked.."white color felonies" are still felonies
That was code talk for "white people with felons".

Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That was code talk for "white people with felons".
I just noticed my freudian slip...I TOTALLY meant to type COLLAR lol

but yes...obviously his comment was racially tinged. I give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he was speaking all inclusively.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
If so many are so fearful of everything they should probably just stay home and put metal over the doors and windows and never leave.
There is no "completely safe" neighborhood, city, block, state, vehicle, airplane etc. etc.
Anything can happen to anyone at any time no matter where they are and there isn't much that can be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies