Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I wouldn't want that, I also don't think there should be a sex offender registry, or if there has to be one, it surely shouldn't be public knowledge.

Once someone has served their sentence, they have paid the price society states they should pay for the crime they commit, by labeling them and essentially making them second class citizens, one simply exacerbates the problem of recidivism.
When it comes to sex offenders, there's usually going to be recidivism no matter what - as a parent, I'd want to know if my neighbor likes to rape kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes, but there are definitely preventative steps that could be put into to place to prevent these things. Like for example, avoiding a family moving next door to a sex offender.
LOL, you could be living next to a sex offender right now, and they just haven't been caught. In fact most child sex abuse happens within the family circle or close friends, and most are not on any registry
And the DOJ puts recidivism at between 3-5%

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
So what??? I would never want to move next door to a child molester. Maybe that's fine with you, but not with me. Some things I can overlook, but sex offenders and murders are not it.
Not all sex offenders have molested a child. They might have been 18 with a 16 year old girlfriend or picked a girl up at a bar, and found out later she had a fake ID or got caught mooning, or they may even been falsely accused (incidents of which have been steadily rising)

Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Not all sex offenders have molested a child. They might have been 18 with a 16 year old girlfriend or picked a girl up at a bar, and found out later she had a fake ID or got caught mooning, or they may even been falsely accused (incidents of which have been steadily rising)
But when a 30 year old messes around with a 15 year old, I say his tallywhacker gets hacked off.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
LOL, you could be living next to a sex offender right now, and they just haven't been caught. In fact most child sex abuse happens within the family circle or close friends, and most are not on any registry
And the DOJ puts recidivism at between 3-5%
Quote:
I love how everyone is picking apart my post. The point is, no one wants to move next to someone KNOWINGLY knowing they committed some type of heinous act. Yeah, I don't know if my next door neighbor is some whack job, but at the end of the day I can sleep better not knowing he is one either.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
No - nor should sex offenders.

We punish criminals by issuing fines and/or restricting free movement. In extreme cases, we sentence offenders to death. Usually, when you have "paid the price" for your crime, you are done.

What exactly do we hope to accomplish with publicly shaming people?

Is it for our safety? If so, why not just force them to live in designated ghettos?

You see, the problem with such public lists is that the people on there are often not who you think they are. Thus, you have an 18-year of who got a BJ from a 16-year old at a party, a drunk guy who peed against a pole while a kid walked by, and a child rapist, all on the same list. It doesn't matter that the specific charge is listed, either - once you're on the list, you are a child molester.

In some states, a person breaking into a home, finding a minor inside, and locking the minor in a closet or basement will result in that burglar being placed on the Sex Offender list - even though he never touched anyone!

Being on that list usually comes with a bunch of restrictions - can't live near schools, can't open the door on Halloween, can't live close to a school bus stop, can't live close to a house of worship, can't live close to a playground, etc. In some cases, such as Miami Beach, people on the list were, for a while, not allowed to legally live anywhere because of the multitude of restrictions and thus, were forced to live under an overpass in make-shift shacks and tents.

People on the list lose any and all prospect to reintegrate into society. They can't get jobs, they can't get a lease, they can't get a loan.

While I understand the idea of protecting ourselves, I also believe that we need not dole out punishment that outlasts the prison sentence issued by a judge. If we condemn them in such an extreme way, we would be better off just killing them.

I would think that creating yet another list for yet another type of crime will come with the same issues.

If any offense comes with a life-long sentence, then why have a judicial system at all that allegedly apportions punishment to reflect the crime?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
When it comes to sex offenders, there's usually going to be recidivism no matter what - as a parent, I'd want to know if my neighbor likes to rape kids.
See, that's the problem: You, too, think that every "Sex Offender" is a person who rapes children... In other words, every single person on the sex offender list is, in your mind, guilty of raping a kid. And in your mental image, I would guess, that child is likely a prepubescent little kid and not a 17 year old who lied about her age after having snug into a party.

I actually managed to live next to a "sex offender" a while back. The offense that got him on the list? During his divorce, he had a heated argument with his wife, when the wife had left the house, he took their seven-year-old girl to his house, and locked the kid in so she couldn't escape.

My neighbor was in his 60's - the crime had occurred when he was in his 20's. Once the sex offender registry was created, he fell into a category that demanded he be placed on this list retroactively.

Like you, everybody immediately thought that he must have molested a child... He got fired, he couldn't get employment, the police came by every three months, the neighbors ostracized him, etc.

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
See, that's the problem: You, too, think that every "Sex Offender" is a person who rapes children... In other words, every single person on the sex offender list is, in your mind, guilty of raping a kid. And in your mental image, I would guess, that child is likely a prepubescent little kid and not a 17 year old who lied about her age after having snug into a party.

I actually managed to live next to a "sex offender" a while back. The offense that got him on the list? During his divorce, he had a heated argument with his wife, when the wife had left the house, he took their seven-year-old girl to his house, and locked the kid in so she couldn't escape.

My neighbor was in his 60's - the crime had occurred when he was in his 20's. Once the sex offender registry was created, he fell into a category that demanded he be placed on this list retroactively.

Like you, everybody immediately thought that he must have molested a child... He got fired, he couldn't get employment, the police came by every three months, the neighbors ostracized him, etc.

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.
Yeah safety is one thing, but there are way too many things that have nothing to do with safety that get people on that list. If anything bad data just presents an incorrect image. I have found the crime reports sites to be the best at giving a more current picture of different kinds of activities. crimereports.com is one such site. Will only go back 6 months.

Also I have to say the LEOs can be dangerous depending on where you live and particularly if you have young people, disabled or elderly with which to be concerned. There are 170,000+ such agencies and basically zero public tracking much less accountability. If anything this has gotten much worse over the years with the type of training and programming they receive.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Isn't it amazing how well the "machine" has a large swath of the general public programmed now? The "machine" consists of those that make money in one way or another from this like news outlets,prison and law professions,"safety" product manufacturers and lawmakers.
John Walsh and his ilk have done well (for themselves).
Fear everyone, buy our product, fear everyone, vote for me to protect you,fear everyone, we'll tell you all the ones to fear so buy our paper or watch our channel, fear everyone, we need to hire more cops, build more jails, hire more union detention officers and the list goes on.

Just remember, instead of actually getting to know if something is a threat just fear it because someone else says so.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I love how everyone is picking apart my post. The point is, no one wants to move next to someone KNOWINGLY knowing they committed some type of heinous act. Yeah, I don't know if my next door neighbor is some whack job, but at the end of the day I can sleep better not knowing he is one either.
I'd personally not worry so much about the people who ARE being watched myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies